Thread: Sizing Question

mtbr member
    May 2006

Sizing Question

After demoing several bikes (Titus RX, Yeti AS-R, Specialized Epic, and Flux) I have decided to go with the Flux. It rides and fits me better than any of the others.

The question I have is I am 6'-0" 170lbs with slightly more legs than torso (a sucky size to be) and cannot tell if the Medium or Large is a better fit. I have ridden them both and it's too close to tell. The small has a slightly smaller top tube than I would like and the large is a tad big feeling. I am leaning towards the Medium since I like a slightly smaller fit but don't want to sacrafice comfort on epic rides. I want to get opinions from those who have been riding their med and large Fluxes for a while you are approximately my size. I am afraid that on a large the front wheel may lift off the ground on really technical rocky climbs here in Colorado if I can't get enought weight over the front wheel. Am I insane for leaning towards a medium? Anyone 6 foot even and riding a Medium?

HELP!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    hard sayin not seein but id lean towards a large with a shorter stem. not sure if a med would fit anyone much over 5' 10" according to the turner specs and my own opinion. even with a short torso a med would be pretty dern short for a guy yer size. might be cool to try the large again with 20mm knocked off the cockpit.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    LARGE. no question.

as Jethro's Sour Mash said,

5'10" is about the tallest you'd want to be on a Medium. I'm 5'10" on a Medium 6-Pack and 5-Spot. If I were 6 feet tall, no doubt I'd ride a Large. I can't imagine riding a Medium, at 6' tall.

fit yourself with a shorter-than-expected stem. my guess is that if you're looking at a Flux, you're an XC oriented rider and are used to stems of 110-120mm.

you'd be surprised how well a 70, 80 or 90mm stem can work, even climbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    As the large-nosed character from Sesame Street said above, large, no question.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Yep, same opinion here. I went from a med to a large Spot and like it alot better. I have a 100mm stem on it and I think it climbs better. I'm 5'10" and the med just felt to short in the cockpit. It handles downhill better too. It is a bit less snappy but the med felt maxed out sometimes at speed over sketchy/chunky terrain. There is quite a difference, I had the med for about 8 months.

mtbr member

go large

Quote Originally Posted by TrailBuzzd
    Yep, same opinion here. I went from a med to a large Spot and like it alot better. I have a 100mm stem on it and I think it climbs better. I'm 5'10" and the med just felt to short in the cockpit. It handles downhill better too. It is a bit less snappy but the med felt maxed out sometimes at speed over sketchy/chunky terrain. There is quite a difference, I had the med for about 8 months.

Same here, Im 5'10.5'' and felt too cramped on my medium spot. Tried a large recently and found the fit perfect for me and felt less twitchy on the downhills.
    "to finish first you first must finish" - Mike Hailwood

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i too had the same problem, i am 6 feet tall, with long legs and smaller torso. Went with the large and i dont regret that decision. expect that i use a 90mm stem.

banned
    I'm 5'10 and can't see anyone taller than me in any dimension (even disproportionment) using the medium.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    As the large-nosed character from Sesame Street said above, large, no question.
    You mean the Muppet Show?

Back on topic:
    The Flux does have a longer top tube than some of the other Turner frames. However, I would agree, Large with a 100mm stem. But how can you say it fits better than anything else when you can't even decide which size to get? Just curious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm new to the mtbr forums, so please excuse me for butting in. But, I too have a sizing question.

I'm planning on getting a Flux. I don't know if an XL or L is better for a guy my size. Here are my dimensions:

6'2"-6'3"
    185 lbs
    33" inseam
    35" arm

So, what do you think?

Technology is my friend.

Long legged freaks unite!

Quote Originally Posted by caudex333
    The question I have is I am 6'-0" 170lbs with slightly more legs than torso (a sucky size to be) and cannot tell if the Medium or Large is a better fit.!
    As everyone else has said, you should go with the large. I'm 6'-0", 165 lbs, with freakishly long legs ---- 35-1/4" crotch-to-floor inseam. I got a large Flux last year, with a 110 mm stem and low-rise bars. I was new to mtb (I'm an old roadie), and I did have problems keeping the front wheel down on some of the steeps here on the Front Range. But that problem has pretty much disappeared as I learned balance, position, and technique.

The L Flux does have a relatively short seat tube. I had to go with the 410 mm seat post --- the 330 mm Thomson was only in about 2-1/2 to 3", which is a bit less than the recommended insertion.

The Flux is an awesome bike. Enjoy!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by redenduro_in_cali
    I'm new to the mtbr forums, so please excuse me for butting in. But, I too have a sizing question.

I'm planning on getting a Flux. I don't know if an XL or L is better for a guy my size. Here are my dimensions:

6'2"-6'3"
    185 lbs
    33" inseam
    35" arm

So, what do you think?
    I am 6'2" with a 34 inseam and 35"(ish) arms. I own a Spot and had a Burner, both XL. I have been on a L Burner and a L Spot before and felt they were just too small for me. I haven't ridden a Flux but based on what I've seen you want an XL. Probably a 100mm stem.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    I am 6'2" with a 34 inseam and 35"(ish) arms. I own a Spot and had a Burner, both XL. I have been on a L Burner and a L Spot before and felt they were just too small for me. I haven't ridden a Flux but based on what I've seen you want an XL. Probably a 100mm stem.
    Thanks for the feedback, RedRocker. I also confirmed this with the Turner folks.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    They're helpful folks! Glad you got the info you were looking for.
    Welcome to Homerville. Just don't take everything here that seems to be an opinion personally. It's mostly just a bunch of well-meaning folks with great brand-loyalty who love riding.
    Big hoopy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I tried out the XL and the L flux. The L seems too cramped in the cockpit. However, I'm concerned about the standover height on the XL. Should I be?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey everyone, I recently bought a Turner Burner in small. The reason for that is that a while ago Supergo had a closeout and the prices were too good to pass up. Im 5'8", and the only sizes they had left were large and small. I checked in with other supergos but sadly no medium. I was wondering what size stem I should get? Also, how much would I have to slide the seat back? Thanks a bunch.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by redenduro_in_cali
    I tried out the XL and the L flux. The L seems too cramped in the cockpit. However, I'm concerned about the standover height on the XL. Should I be?
    I have yet to damage my boys on the XL Burner or Spot. And hope not to...
    Big hoopy.