mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Six Pack lives again - massive thanks to Greg at Turner

Just wanted to thank Greg at Turner for repairing my 05 Six Pack.
    I thought it had come to the end of its life when I discovered a crack in the seat tube at the weld with the toptube / seat tube brace. I concidered just getting the crack welded but knew this would only be a short term solution. I'd seen on this forum a couple of Six Packs that had had seat tubes replaced by Turner for similar problems so contacted Greg & sent a photo to make enquiries, but expected the cost to be prohibitive, especally as I'm in the UK. Greg replied within 24 hours and said the repair was possible. They would replace the seat tube, reheat treat the frame, repowder coat in my colour choise, replace the full bush kit, new decals & stainless headtube badge, shock bolts & seat post clamp all for $350. I would need a new seat post (or shim) as the new seat tube is a larger diameter. For the work being done I thought the price was extreemly reasonable & promptly posted the frame off to Turner. Greg kept me updated with progress & the frame arrived back last week. I'm very impressed with the repair, you can't tell the tubes been replaced & it looks stunning in its fresh coat of iron glimmer with stealthy back decals & head tube badge.
    Thanks to Greg & Turner I've got a few more years with the old beast, fantastic customer service.
    Iain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Six Pack lives again - massive thanks to Greg at Turner-2012-12-29-12.40.42.jpg  

Six Pack lives again - massive thanks to Greg at Turner-2012-12-29-12.41.09.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not sure if it's a good business model (can't be much profit in a $350 repair!), but it's very cool to see them do things this way. Nice ride BTW
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not sure if it's a good business model (can't be much profit in a $350 repair!), but it's very cool to see them do things this way. Nice ride BTW

I think 350.00 is fair for both parties involved . lots of companies could learn from Turner's business model and the workmanship is over the top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rc200 View Post
    I thought it had come to the end of its life when I discovered a crack in the seat tube at the weld with the toptube / seat tube brace. I concidered just getting the crack welded but knew this would only be a short term solution. I'd seen on this forum a couple of Six Packs that had had seat tubes replaced by Turner for similar problems so contacted Greg & sent a photo to make enquiries, but expected the cost to be prohibitive, especally as I'm in the UK. Greg replied within 24 hours and said the repair was possible. They would replace the seat tube, reheat treat the frame, repowder coat in my colour choise, replace the full bush kit, new decals & stainless headtube badge, shock bolts & seat post clamp all for $350. I would need a new seat post (or shim) as the new seat tube is a larger diameter. For the work being done I thought the price was extreemly reasonable & promptly posted the frame off to Turner. Greg kept me updated with progress & the frame arrived back last week. I'm very impressed with the repair, you can't tell the tubes been replaced & it looks stunning in its fresh coat of iron glimmer with stealthy back decals & head tube badge.
    Thanks to Greg & Turner I've got a few more years with the old beast, fantastic customer service.
    Iain
    Did they add that gusset below the rocker pivot mount or was that allready there? And what did the seat tube/post diameter end up being?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by rc200 View Post
    Iain
    That bike looks awesome.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    Did they add that gusset below the rocker pivot mount or was that allready there? And what did the seat tube/post diameter end up being?
    The gusset below the rocker pivot was added, I think they were originally only standard on the large & XL frames, mine is a medium.
    The new seat tube now has a constant external diameter of 34.9mm, the original was 34.9mm swaged down to 31.8mm at the clamp. The new tube is reamed to 28.6mm to a depth of 6" before the the internal butting increases the diameter beyond this. This means the seatpost is now supported below the top of the top tube, which is a good thing in my opinion, the original swaged tube only supported the the seatpost for 4" which was above the top tube & ment the brace was taking all the strain, hopefully it will now be stronger - this had already been a warrenty replacement front triangle in 2007 for the same problem.
    It's a shame the seat tube isn't reamed to 30.9mm as it would open up the options for a dropper post, I guess Turner have their reasons for using 28.6mm.

Wicketed
    That Pack looks absolutely bob on. Fantastic service from Turner (I think a satisfied and loyal customer base is an excellent business model....despite those of us like the OP and I how own 6Packs that are 6+ years old! People thinking about buying into the brand are reassured by this kind of stuff......).
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

destination unknown
    May 2008
    That's a good looking ride. Timeless

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow! Great customer service! Great looking bike as well!