mtbr member

Six Pack DHX spring?

Can anyone tell me what spring rate the standard DHX-c comes with on a six pack?
    and..what weight rider does it suit?

tried searching but can't seem to find a listing.

cheers

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Leight
    Can anyone tell me what spring rate the standard DHX-c comes with on a six pack?

cheers
    Depends on the size, the larger bikes come with a heavier spring usually.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bodhisattva
    Many mediums have come with the 500 lb spring
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    I have a medium pack coming anyday now and was told today that there's a posibility it could have a DHX-c, rather than the DHX-a that I ordered. Doesn't really bother me too much, only reason I wanted the air was the weight saving, but it sounds like the coil is the prefered shock of the six pack horde.

I'm 160lb without gear, so hopefully the stock spring will suit (if it is to be coil)?

Bodhisattva
    I have a medium pack coming anyday now and was told today that there's a posibility it could have a DHX-c, rather than the DHX-a that I ordered. Doesn't really bother me too much, only reason I wanted the air was the weight saving, but it sounds like the coil is the prefered shock of the six pack horde.

I'm 160lb without gear, so hopefully the stock spring will suit (if it is to be coil)?
    I'm your weight and initially ran the 500lb spring but found it to be a tad too soft. I'm happier on the 550.

Air v. Coil
    Coke v. Pepsi

Depends on who you ask. I'm in the coil corner. Coil maintains better traction and performs better under hard cornering and repetitive hits.

mtbr member
    I've been reading some of your posts with interest Squeaky, as I'm planning to transfer my current Pike SL's to the pack. Glad to read that they are up to the challenge!!

Bodhisattva
    The Pike works great on the Pack when using the Pack as an aggressive trailbike.

But in all fairness I will say that the Pack's geometry is more suitably complimented by a taller fork like the Fox 36 or Marz Z1. I prefer the suspension feel of my coil Pike Team to either of those forks but I do wish the Pike was a bit taller and had a little more travel. I'm holding on for next year's Rock Shox 38.
    For tighter trails, the Pike is great. Out in Utah where things are completely wide open, the taller forks give the Pack a more stable feel.

mtbr member
    I actually am hoping that it does turn up with a coil now. Last night I had a brain wave, I have an RP3 on my I-Drive at the moment, which is the right length and stroke to suit the pack. I could send it over to Darren to use as a light trail setup and then swap out to the coil for heavier work. That might solve my dilemma.
    A mate has just got his Float R (for an '03 Enduro) back from Darren this week and is absolutely stoked, just given his frame a new lease on life by the sounds of it. 2 weeks turn-around to Australia is great service!

My intention is to do away with my DH bike (goodby SGS, hello Pack) in the next year or so and just have one bike that is an all-rounder. Most of the DH tracks we ride here in Aus are quite tight and technical in places so light and snappy is good. Was thinking I'd look at the 36 Vans but RS have really lifted the bar with their Pikes so might have to wait for the 38's as you suggest. When you say next year, are they due out in '06 or '07?

Bodhisattva
    When you say next year, are they due out in '06 or '07?
    I dunno. I'm hoping this time next year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cheers
    The large I just got came with a 600lb spring.