mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Silver Turner Twin Powers Activate

New addition to the DDawg Turner collection! Build components courtesy of the Brown Santa/Larry at Mtn High Cycles and the living donor VPFree

The requisite frame on furniture shot. The wife caught me bringing it indoors for the normal couch shot. "What are you doing?" "Ah, I had to get something" followed by the you're an idiot walking around the house with a bike frame and camera in your hand look.

My first head set install using the new "Consumer" version of the Park Tool head set press. It's nothing fancy, but it worked with well with some serious elbow grease and saved me the ridiculous $35 service fee at the bike shop. I still paid $10 to have the crown race removed off the 888. Grrr, never again for that one!

Race Face has the weight weenie in you covered. The Deus seatpost. I wanted something with a setback, but yet retained the ability to be lowered all the way. The Highline has no problem taking all 410mm . Plus the double dog bone design matches the Highline.

44lbs of goodness! Now all she's waiting for is my all blue Industry 9 wheelset with the new Mavic 823's to arrive

This cable routing not so bad-kinda clean in fact. I had to reroute the rear brake hose on the right side of the head tube because it would have been too short otherwise. I actually like the way it looks though

Silver Turner Twins Activate!
    Vintage 2003 Silver 5-spot (L) with a 2005 front triangle. Remember when these came with Romics and JensonUSA and Supergo sold them? Seems like ancient history now.

2006 Highline (L)

Funny how a thorough cleaning of the old combined with the building of the new reminds you of past rides and what components work well and those that just plain suck. With the exception of the Hadley hub on the Highline and my experiment with a RF post, everything else just works great as built. Makes it kinda boring picking out components now. And whatever happened to the price of disc brakes! I'm glad I bought mine before they practically doubled in price!

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Are the I9's available now for the 150mm rear end?
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Nice bike! Are the I9's available now for the 150mm rear end?
    Yes, i believe for a while they've been available. I've been waiting on mine for 5weeks now. They should be here soon

Quote Originally Posted by DDawg
    Now all she's waiting for is my all blue Industry 9 wheelset with the new Mavic 823's to arrive
    I better get mine first that will look sweet with the blue I9s. Great looking build!

mtbr member
    Plain beautiful, fantastic builds.

Congrats.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Knomer
    Grip shifters?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Sweeeeet bike! lose that front derailleur you nerd!

I'll be chronicling my Highline build soon... It will be "The Slowest Turner Build In The History Of The World"
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    ...I'll be chronicling my Highline build soon... It will be "The Slowest Turner Build In The History Of The World"
    Hear that Renegade? You can get your nag-on all over again!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Hear that Renegade? You can get your nag-on all over again!
    hahahaha... I don't need nagging, I need a slightly less lean wallet!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Baked Alaskan
    Sweet ride(s). Love the raw alu finish on the HL - that thing is just made for shuttle runs. I haven't seen the "consumer" HS press park makes - been using the ghetto bolt/washer method because what a shop charges for a 5 minute job is ridiculous and what park charges for the "pro" press is insane too.

p.s. Great poseur shot with the two sparkly clean rides side-by-side. Can't wait to get the rest of the parts to finish my RFX build, then I can do the same.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Highline's inaugural ride will be up Romero and down Cold Springs this weekend in Santa Barbara. "It's like Deja Vu all over again". It happens to be the same ride I took the Free on its' inaugural ride circa 2004.

The Spot will be traipsing across Lake Garda Italy in a few weeks though

I'll try to get some action shots, but I'm the King of bringing the camera only to leave it in the Camelbak.

DB-Mmmm, Carlitos Seafood Burrito and Mojitos, Yummy!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Can't wait to hear how the climb up Romero goes. Please use a bell when coming down. I'm sure Cold Springs is going to be packed this weekend. If I see a HL sitting around Carlitos when I'm riding around this weekend, I'll track you down (not in a creepy stalker way).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was there last year at the same time and it wasn't so bad hiker/biker wise. I probably won't even start climbing until about noon though.
    Stop by for a Mojito or other beverage if you see the HL.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Usually if you start later in the day, you avoid the majority of the hiking contingent that doesn't want to be out in the midday heat and sun. Man, I'd love to be doing something similar, but I'm still a few weeks out from being able to ride off-road. Also, it looks like the weather will be fairly mild this weekend so you won't even fry going up the exposure at the top of Romero.

Have a good one, and maybe I'll see you guys.

Here's a view I'm sure you'll recognize when you're going up Romero
    Last edited by 2TurnersNotEnough; 05-26-2006 at 05:31 PM.