Turner Homer

Sidi Dom Shoe problem...

Hay guys, I have a pair of the sidi domminator shoes, and they are less than a year old. Over time they started to develop a problem with the smallest velcro strap on the shoe. The smallest strap won't really hold at all anymore, and throught the ride I have to keep stoping and re closing it, and also the shoes do not get as tight as they used to. So today I tried to call veltec sports who distributes sidi shoes in the us about this problem, and they do not answer their phone, and then there is a message that tells you to leave a message, then it says mail box full and hangs up. So if I ever do get a hold of them, do you think I will get a warrenty repair, or exchange because I think this is ridiculous for a pair of $200 shoes that are not even a year old. Thanks for your help Dave

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ive had good luck gettin a pair repaired years back but i went through the local rep in our shop. try that route and see what shakes out.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Do It Yourself
    Go through your dealer or LBS.
    Long Live Long Rides

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    good idea. why didnt i think of that?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Turner Homer

No good

Hay guys, I called my bud at the lbs by me and he said to stop by, so I did, and he said it looks like the straps on the shoes streached. He said that he could not really help me, so tommrow I am going to call performance which is where I brought them. I did actually get through to sidi, and at first right off the bat he said that he could send me the straps, and I could get a cobbler to re sew the new ones on. So he started asking me questions about where I was located, and when it came to where I purchesed them, I told him performance, and then his whole mind set changed, and he did not want to even take the shoes back to fix them or send me new straps. Stupid bastard. He said something about not having a contract with them whatever that nonsense means. Hopefully I could figure out another way to get these damm shoes fixed. So i guess that means $200 down the drain. Last time I buy a pair of shitidi's. Rant done.
    Dave

Do It Yourself
    Oh, Performance, that changes everything. Forget Veltec and just take them back for a full refund. Tell them you're not 100% satisfied. Then you can buy whatever shoes you like. Maybe some Shimanos or Specialized? But I would say that you probably just got a bum pair.

http://www.performancebike.com/help/returns.cfm

I wouldn't blame Veltec for not supporting shoes from Performance since they probably didn't buy the shoes through normal distribution channels like an LBS. I'm sure Performances buys enough Sidi shoes that they can buy them direct OEM style without mfg warranty.
    Long Live Long Rides

Got A Lust for Life...
    Well, Sidi's are great shoes. I have had a pair for three seasons and they hold up great...except for the velcro. The velcro wore out super fast. So...I brought them to a cobbler and had the velcro replaced and had the hook part extended. For fit and durability sans velcro they are the best. Velcro on any shoe will wear out. Every other shoe I have had did not hold up like my Doms. Just my 02.
    I am immune to your disdain.

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Well, Sidi's are great shoes. I have had a pair for three seasons and they hold up great...except for the velcro. The velcro wore out super fast. So...I brought them to a cobbler and had the velcro replaced and had the hook part extended. For fit and durability sans velcro they are the best. Velcro on any shoe will wear out. Every other shoe I have had did not hold up like my Doms. Just my 02.
    I agree with the two of you. My friend at the lbs was saying the same thing about that the distributor is probably not veltec and they buy them oem. Next I will buy my shoes at the lbs instead of on line. Also where did you get the velcro from. Did you just have the cobbler use any other velcro, or did you get veltec to give you some straps. Maby I could just buy the straps from veltec if they are not too much, becasue I don't care about paying a little money. I just want my shoes fixed. I will also call performance later today. I also have to say I love my sidi's for the great power transfer, and I just think the velcro is the weakest link of them, becasue otherwise the shoes have held up pretty well so far. Also sorry for the anger last night, I was in a pissy mood.
    Dave

Now with flavor!!
    Jeez, don't you guys have access to a sewing machine?

It's not hard, really. Buy some velcro and do it by hand if you must. Missing out on riding time because you're shoes are getting "warrantied" for a problem you could fix in an hour is silly.

Yes I've done this to mine.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Got A Lust for Life...
    I had the cobbler throw any ol' velcro on there. Any new velcro will be better than the stock imo. The velcro he chose was pretty sturdy looking. In reference to the straps, I kept the old ones and had the cobbler extend the velcro to compensate for the stretch. Now the velcro wraps around the shoe creating a magnificant fit. I don't have a sewing machine and doing it by hand would be torture.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    I had the cobbler throw any ol' velcro on there. Any new velcro will be better than the stock imo. The velcro he chose was pretty sturdy looking. In reference to the straps, I kept the old ones and had the cobbler extend the velcro to compensate for the stretch. Now the velcro wraps around the shoe creating a magnificant fit. I don't have a sewing machine and doing it by hand would be torture.
    It's not so bad.

I did my first pair eons ago by hand while touring.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Turner Homer
    But isn't the velcro attached to the strap by glue. If so did you just unbond the glue and sew on the new stuff?
    Dave

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    But isn't the velcro attached to the strap by glue. If so did you just unbond the glue and sew on the new stuff?
    Dave
    My velcro was so beat, I just left it on, shaved off what I could with a razor just to reduce the thickness a little bit and sewed the new stuff on top. Getting the old stuff off was impossible.

Don't remember if was glue or not though. You may be right.

Turner Homer
    I just finished talking to performance and they said they will take them back and give me a new pair in return, or a money credit. So I will send the old ones back on monday, and see how that goes. I don't know why I didn't called sidi in the first place. I guess I am just used to Hope's and turners good customer service. Oh well.
    Dave
    Last edited by dtrek4500; 03-10-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Now with flavor!!
    I just finished talking to performance and they said they will take them back and give me a new pair in return, or a money credit. So I will send the old ones back on monday, and see how that goes. I don't know why I didn't call sidi in the first place. I guess I am just used to Hope's and turners good customer service. Oh well.
    Dave
    You win.

Got A Lust for Life...
    The velcro is glued on. A razor is the best way to get it off. I took some of it off and had the cobbler do his work on the rest. If I had a damn digicam I would be able to post a pic of the work he did. It is quite impressive.

mtbr member

I prefer lucky heather to velcro

It's the organic choice.

'The Fear' is your friend...

Turner Homer
    I have had that happen with mine in the past. Pretty funny pic.
    Dave

I think I need to Upgrade
    So he started asking me questions about where I was located, and when it came to where I purchesed them, I told him performance, and then his whole mind set changed, and he did not want to even take the shoes back to fix them or send me new straps. Stupid bastard. He said something about not having a contract with them whatever that nonsense means. Dave

That rep should have taken care of you on the shoes, it is his job no matter where you bought them from!! His line about not having a contract with them is true, and it translates into he doesn't get paid to deal with Performance, but he does get paid to deal with Sidi. The rep is just using Performance as an excuse to not help you out.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Oh, Performance, that changes everything. Forget Veltec and just take them back for a full refund. Tell them you're not 100% satisfied. Then you can buy whatever shoes you like. Maybe some Shimanos or Specialized? But I would say that you probably just got a bum pair.

http://www.performancebike.com/help/returns.cfm

I wouldn't blame Veltec for not supporting shoes from Performance since they probably didn't buy the shoes through normal distribution channels like an LBS. I'm sure Performances buys enough Sidi shoes that they can buy them direct OEM style without mfg warranty.

I would not blame Veltec directly, but I would blame the Rep that works for Veltec for not doing his job.

As far as where Performance gets their Sidi shoes, they come directly from Veltec and no where else. They are not OEM, they are not Gray Market they come directly from Veltec/Sidi, and they have a full warranty.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongrief
    Been wearing Sidis for over 15 years,and still use one of my first pairs as i have several pairs.Typically once i have the shoe broken in i rarely even mess with the toe strap after that.
    Same here, I have six years on a pair. With absolutely no problems. Only lately have I been throwing around the idea of buying a new pair. Not because of lack of performance but because they are so beat up looking. IMO they are at the top of the heap out of all shoes on the market. You pay some serious coin but you get what you pay for. You must have got a bum pair.