mtbr member

Shuttle Days: 2nd wheelset for 6pack?

Homers,

I would like to get a 2nd set of wheels for the shuttle days this summer. I'm thinking cheap, but good

But seriously, under 300 bucks. Was thinking XT rear hub, 20mm Marzocchi hub and Mavic 721s. Any other ideas for getting more bang for buck?

Spoke recommendations?

I don't think I will go much bigger than 5', ever. weigh about 200# fully geared up, and really just want to put larger 2-ply DH tires (no more pinch flats!!) on these wheels and keep my lighter wheels for trailriding.

banned
    so your underbuilt 6-Pack might need wheels/tires suited to its design?

shocker!

another Homer riding an underbuilt 6-Pack for the purpose of seeming "core"!

amazing!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    What's your current wheelset?

I've got FD28s, sprinning on Kings with CX rays and I've done 5 footers and they wheels are still true.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

not so super...
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'd recommend the Sun 8 Track wheels. I don't know how much they cost, but the Abbah hubs are smooth and fairly inexpensive and the MTX rims are really solid.

Brass Nipples!
    An XT rear is a great hub for the price, I don't know anything about the Marzocchi front. Do others have any suggestions for a good value in a 20 mm through axle front?

I've loved my WTB LaserDisc DH rims. I think tscheezy's had good results with the WTB Dual Duty. I've also seen some Sun Rhyno Lites hold up to some pretty good abuse, too. Don't know anything in particular about the 721's but the spec's look pretty good. I think a 600 gram or so rim that's pretty wide will be your best bet. DT 6.1's are nice, but spendy.

I'd recommend 3X 14/15 ga. butted spokes with brass (natch) nipples.

Sounds like gonzo's off his meds again. 2 wheelsets make a lot of sense, actually.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Damn gonz, tell us how you really feel! Those Azonic's look nice, I found a decent set of Sun Ringle wheels last year for under $200, don't see them listed anywhere now though. They are the Abbah hubs laced to RPM XXL rims which are a beyotch to get tires on but they have been troublefree and stayed true(knock on wood) after repeated poundings and drops. Beefy wheelset that will hold up to my 200lbs and they rail on long fast DH's, great wheels for shuttles or resort days. They will go on my RFX to start but I would like a trick set of wheels down the road also.

mtbr member

Take A Deep Breath

Gonzo,
    I understand your frustration, but you need to take a deep breath and relax. Yes, the RFX is more than most owners need and probably won't get pushed to its limit......but who cares. If it gives that person the extra stoke to get ride, and try new things I think that is great.

As far as two wheel sets go, why not? We can't all afford two super high-end bike (i.e.Turner and Knolly) I have to make my RFX work for all conditions. When I go out and ride with my XC friends I want a lighter bike, and when I shuttle with my FR friends I want a burlier bike. Changing wheels makes the most sense. I drop around three pounds when changing wheels. I definately notice it climbing, and descending.

Have a good one, and don't forget to breath.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    GonzoStrike,

You are too consistent, very funny. For everyone's sake, I will translate your response as:

"Me Gonzo. Me hit soulfly bike with rock"

Ssinga, BTW, RR, L7

Thanks as always for the help. It's a whole lot cheaper to switch wheels and stem than buy a DH bike....

My idea was just to get a cheap set of hubs (don't need bling-o engagement, etc for DH) with some bullet proof build so that I could make a more freerideish rig.

The rest of my build is good and burly....but I admit that I should duct tape a few bricks to the frame or fill tubes with concrete in the hopes that Gonzo-Snob will 'accept' me.
    Last edited by soulfly_NYC; 05-24-2006 at 11:34 AM.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    check out Transition's Revolution wheelsets.. under 300 bucks, and supposed to be super solid. I have a set of Revolution 36's on order.
    http://www.transitionbikes.com/Compo...Revolution.cfm

Rims are apparently identical to the Outlaws, and the hubs are a great bang for the price.

cheers.

banned
    Those prices are high for wheels that are probably equipped with awful Formula hubs.

XT is fine, it is insanely durable with little to no maintenance. For the front, how about a Hope bulb with the 20mm conversion?

Also check out www.aebike.com for some deals. Perhaps with Onyx hubs. I saw some a couple months ago.

Just another FOC'er
    I second the Azonic Outlaws, very sturdy wheelset for the price. I actually bought a set of them for days I wanted a lighter setup than my old D321 wheelset. I've pounded though a lot of rock gardens with them as well as overshooting at least 1 jump resulting in a 9 foot to flat landing. Oops, very harsh. Didn't knock them even slightly out of true though.

Initially the spoke tension wasn't all that great probably because they're machine built. After a few rounds of retensioning though they are rock solid.

mtbr member
    Soulfly, the owner of my LBS is selling a slightly used DT Swiss wheelset. I'm not sure of the model information, but it has the 6.1's with their beefiest hub. I'll ask him how much he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    Gonzo, I understand your frustration, but you need to take a deep breath and relax.
    Please don't feed the animals...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 05-24-2006 at 03:52 PM.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    I second the Azonic Outlaws, very sturdy wheelset for the price.
    I third that. I believe the Loco's are the same wheels, so, if those are cheaper, I'd go with those. There's usually a guy from Illinois on ebay selling Outlaw sets for $200 as well.

Cheers,
    EBX

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfly_NYC
    GonzoStrike,

You are too consistent, very funny. For everyone's sake, I will translate your response as:

"Me Gonzo. Me hit soulfly bike with rock"
    that was some funny schitt, soulfly.

well done.

and oh yeah,

I second the Azonic Outlaws.

for tires,

Maxxis Minion DH sticky compound

or

Kenda Nevegal DH Stick-E
    Last edited by gonzostrike; 05-24-2006 at 09:14 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    Gonzo,
    I understand your frustration, but you need to take a deep breath and relax. Yes, the RFX is more than most owners need and probably won't get pushed to its limit......but who cares. If it gives that person the extra stoke to get ride, and try new things I think that is great.

As far as two wheel sets go, why not? We can't all afford two super high-end bike (i.e.Turner and Knolly) I have to make my RFX work for all conditions. When I go out and ride with my XC friends I want a lighter bike, and when I shuttle with my FR friends I want a burlier bike. Changing wheels makes the most sense. I drop around three pounds when changing wheels. I definately notice it climbing, and descending.

Have a good one, and don't forget to breath.

Cheers!
    now now.

I can hardly "afford" my Knolly and my 2 Turners. I live on Ramen Noodles, pasta, and yerba mate. and occasionally a loaf of bread. figs and clif bars while riding. when I feel splurge-like, I buy a pint of ice cream. sometimes a donut. I haven't bought a new pair of riding shorts for over 4 years. my helmets are 3 years old. I drive a 9 year old truck. my house is in Crack Den Alley.

I make MANY sacrifices to own the bikes I love and ride hard.

I make those sacrifices because I respect quality and believe it should be rewarded by people buying the products. I was proud to be offered a spot in the first run of V-Tachs, wouldn't you have been? jeez! it's not like I buy these bikes to hang on a wall for WANK PROVOCATION or something like that.

it pains me to see people buy a fine piece of engineering and then use it for an IMAGE. hell, it may be arguable that my V-Tach is too much for me. most times (when not riding hyperfast techie DH) it seems that way.

PS: don't forget to breathE. I never do.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    Initially the spoke tension wasn't all that great probably because they're machine built. After a few rounds of retensioning though they are rock solid.
    EXCELLENT point, Danno. without good tension they won't land that 9 footer to flat and walk away.

banned
    Roll away.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Roll away.
    Both. I was sure I must have broken something after that, but the Pack and I somehow survived it, and the Outlaws were still perfectly true.

I'm always amazed how the trials guys can pull stuff like that off on purpose... and they're on hardtails. Just crazy, they've got a lot more skill than me!

mtbr member
    May 2005

trail fairy
    Pretty much anything will be OK at the front as a cheap 20mm hub, I wouldn't go XT for he rear if this is yr huck wheelset, Outlaws seem like a good option to me.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    I live on Ramen Noodles, pasta, and yerba mate. and occasionally a loaf of bread. figs and clif bars while riding. when I feel splurge-like, I buy a pint of ice cream. sometimes a donut.
    Gonz, you might try adding some greens& roughage to your diet. It might improve your posts here if nothing else!

Anyways, i too vote for outlaws- Very cool that you can swap them between both-through and QR, both front and rear. They are actually pretty light for FR wheels too. Spending a lot of money on blingey wheels for FR/DH use seems kind of short-sighted. At $200 you can't go wrong!

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    ...I buy these bikes to hang on a wall for WANK PROVOCATION or something like that...
    Can't wait to hear what other things are "like" wank provocation.