Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ~~~~~~~~

Show 'n Tell....the Highlite.

some background info.

I've had a few years on a RFX, tried some different forks and rockers, and gotten a good idea what I think works for me. When I first started riding my RFX it felt tiny under me, but as I put more time on it, either I shrunk, it grew, or my riding style changed.

Late last year I started to plan on replacing the old RFX with a fresh one, I followed the progress of the Highline, but didn't give it much consideration. Eventually I found myself analyzing the geo of the HL, the things I would like for bike fit, and where my riding is headed. I wouldn't say I was looking for more travel, lower leverage ratio, stuff like that, just a slightly smaller frame, with the magic geometry of my latest RFX incarnation.

Enough trying to explain my reasoning and we can discuss riding style/genre/philosophy if anyone wants, for now heres the stats.

Small Highline, 8.5 x 2.5 DHX Air rear shock, Van 36 fork.

Rider, 5 feet, 4.375 inches tall. Inseam 29.825 inches. weight 145 pounds. My backpack never weighs less than 15 pounds, sometimes I ride(jump) without it, sometimes I'll carry a chainsaw. I guess we can talk about them air shocks later...

My Highlite geo is nearly identical to my old RFX (type a rockers, van36, etc.).
    Head tube angle 67 degrees, seat tube angle measured on the seat post 72, the HL may be a hair steeper ST, BB height a hair over 14 inches (the HL is slightly higher than the RFX).
    Wheelbase is a quarter inch longer, 43 3/4 for the HL.
    HL chainstay is 17 3/8.
    Top tube, HL = 22, RFX 22.2
    my cockpit measurement is exactly the same.

Any questions, ask away.

At this point all I can say is it's perfect.
    Bigger rear shock, bigger forks, bigger launches, it's all in the plan for future upgrades. Super D, and DH racing will hopefully be in my future also.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

My cup runneth over
    While some (those trying to work) may be grateful for your BLAND post, others of us have been waiting for a RIDE REPORT with cool pictures.

Dang, how did you ever get past the Moderator police???

Edit - this time when I brought it up the pix are showing... OK, OK so the pix are kind of OK, but no ride report???
    Last edited by rmac; 03-14-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Outcast
    So is a highlite a version of the highline with a dhx-a on it?
    Airwreck, hows does it pedal and climb compared to your RFX?

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    ...blah blah blah spec & nasalgic reflection deleted...
    Bigger rear shock, bigger forks, bigger launches, it's all in the plan for future upgrades. Super D, and DH racing will hopefully be in my future also.
    That's IT? This is the review we've all been hitting the refresh button for?
    I'm calling your boss, you clearly need a few days off.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

not so super...
    I really need to quit opening these Highline posts

What was your total build weight?
    Nothing to see here.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    While some (those trying to work) may be grateful for your BLAND post, others of us have been waiting for a RIDE REPORT with cool pictures.

Dang, how did you ever get past the Moderator police???

yea, I'm trying to work , and do this post at the same time...

Ride report.
    So far, one ride. Two miles and 1,000+ feet of steep techy uphill, two miles and 1,000+ feet of ballz out gnarled flowing DH, all time fastest run, a whole new level of speed and control. Continued down another 2,000+ feet of super steeps single track pitches laced with assorted hips, drops and jumps, all minor/not highline worthy proportions, (I'm injured, and I've been constantly reinjuring myself the past few weeks ).

I love it. thats LOVE. It's perfect. I'm looking forward to my hitting my usual favorite launch trail but it's a quagmire.

Photos haven't gone as hoped, there maybe a few good ones on film, so we're waiting for processing...

mtbr member
    How much downtube/crown clearance do you have with the 36?

Roy
    mtbr member
    ...blah blah blah spec & nasalgic reflection deleted...
    It looks like work wasn't the only productivity of Air's that has been negatively impacted once Air start obsessing on the HL. Egads man, stand up and give a proper accounting for yourself.

Outcast
    Sooooooooo, Airwreck, does all that mean that it climbs as well or better than your RFX?

How much air pressure do you have in the main chamber of the DHX-A?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Renegade; 03-14-2006 at 01:15 PM.

My cup runneth over
    yea, I'm trying to work , and do this post at the same time...

Ride report.
    Downside to being on the cutting edge of Homerdom is that you have to answer all kinds of techy questions and put up with all kinds of cr@p form the blunt edge...

oly
    mtbr member
    Nice build.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on its pedaling performance. I was blown away by the feel of my HL on its first day. Watching others sprint my bike I really didnt see it moving much under padal load. I also felt the bike to be very livley yet balanced when I was jumping it.

I need a couple more rides on mine before I can give a quality review, since im still dialing in the shock,. and just adjusting to the new bike... not to mention knocking the rust off my DH skills.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Looks hot. I would like to know the final weight on that build. If it pedals like Airwreck makes it sound it does then weight may be the only factor keeping the HL from being a sweet 8" all mountain/freeride machine. Of course, weight is relative. What is heavy for me is not necessarily heavy for others.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    How much downtube/crown clearance do you have with the 36?
    for a headset I'm running the e-13 reducers with the FSA headset bearings.
    The super low stack height is a great smurf feature, really lets me tune the bar height.
    I'm leaning towards getting a 66sl, or I may wait it out for the totem, or try the 66 while I wait, anyone want to buy my van36?
    I think the head tube angle with the van36 is too steep for the super steeps.
    And, the van36 definatly felt overwhelmed by the speeds and hits that the highline is capable of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I really need to quit opening these Highline posts

What was your total build weight?

c'mon! just get one... we can start riding off of roofs to justify the extra suspension....

No, that's not phonetic
    Beautiful welds.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    So is a highlite a version of the highline with a dhx-a on it?
    Airwreck, hows does it pedal and climb compared to your RFX?
    Remember people, I am not using the stock shock i2i and stroke, yet.

Pedals and climbs equally well (maybe better, but...), also remember, this is my first air shock, and my previous coil shock was questionable performance wise. That said, first impressions of the dhx-a is positive, but I'm a lite weight. I'll get to the shock setup details in a bit.

build weight is 37lbs. I'll detail my spec soon, transfered most of my RFX parts over.

like oly, quality ride review is a ways off, with the way I scrutinize my specs I had tons of confidence going into this that it would be as close to perfect as I could get.

I got lots more to talk about...

mtbr member
    How much travel does it have with the shorter eye to eye shock? I am assuming there is no frame/frame contact.

Oly, how does it ride compared to a DHR?

oly
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cave dweller
    Thats a pretty hard one to answer at this point. They are different styles of bike for sure, yet I didnt feel like I had jumped on a totally different ride. From the solid 2 days I do have on the bike, I can say for my ability and level of picky-ness the ride experience wasnt that different than my DHR, except that when it came to climb time, and any place I had to work the bike, it was easier on the HL... Now, my DHR had Doubletrack wheels and 2.7 DH tires, and the HL now smaller rims, 2.5 K tires and is overall lighter at the frame than the DHR. That alone will have a great impact on how a bike feels when pedaling or reacting in slow speed situations.

I feel the suspension also rides firmer than the DHR did, but then I also recently have been wondering if my DHR last year wasnt undersprung for my weight?, its been since October since I was last on the big bike...but the last few trips to whistler, I felt that I was battling the bike when compressing on the face of jumps. I didnt experience this the day I rode a place with some jumps on the HL. When sprinting or pedaling hard the HL really doesnt move much, however when coasting down a rough fire road I could clearly see the link moving when looking down.

Most all of our good DH in Washington is under lots of snow, or is just simply closed (illegal). Im really looking forward to April as a time when we can get out to the big riding, and to the shore to really get the bike into its element to get better feedback.

Outcast
    Geez Oly; nice little love fest you started over at ridemonkey.
    " Its from MTBR, where people ride XC bikes like DH bikes, and DH bikes like XC bikes."
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147445

mtbr member
    for a headset I'm running the e-13 reducers with the FSA headset bearings.
    The super low stack height is a great smurf feature, really lets me tune the bar height.
    I'm leaning towards getting a 66sl, or I may wait it out for the totem, or try the 66 while I wait, anyone want to buy my van36?
    I think the head tube angle with the van36 is too steep for the super steeps.
    And, the van36 definatly felt overwhelmed by the speeds and hits that the highline is capable of.
    Thanks.

Sure is a pretty bike, congrats!

Baked Alaskan
    Dude, SWEET ride!!!!! That matte black is awesome. The first ninja highline.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by cave dweller
    How much travel does it have with the shorter eye to eye shock? I am assuming there is no frame/frame contact.

I think the travel is 7" with the 8.5 x 2.5, sorry i'm starting to get cornfused.

Clearance is more than adequate, no worries about anything hitting at all. I cycled the shock with no air first thing.

DHX-A settings. I live at sea level but often ride at 7,000 feet. Sundays ride I ran 170ish, this was checked at 7,000 ft. Last night I checked it in the garage at sea level and it was 140. Boost chamber when I checked last night was 70, I had set it at the minimum on Saturday, 75psi, and that's the only times I've checked it. All those knobs are at the half way point. I played with the PP knob during the ride and ran my entire DH at mid point. I'm pushing the o-ring to the end of the shaft, and off on a couple drops. I'm very pleased so far and looking forward to all the tuning possibilities. I will get a coil 8.5 x 2.5 also.

mtbr member
    Thats oly and airwreck.

Airwreck, how much clearance was there at maximum compression? I was thinking if i ever got a highline i would put on a 2.5 inch avy with the shortest eye to eye possible to slacken and lower it (you can do that with an avy, a 0.125 inch eye reduction equates to aprox 0.4inch bb drop), along with a 7inch DC, something like a 170mm 888 RC2X.

Would make it a nice, low, resonably slack DH bike. Most of the time i think 8.5 inches of travel is too much for a DH bike, 7.5 is probably more then enough in the rear and improves pedalling, lowers bottom bracket etc.

~~~~~~~~
    sweet cable routing through the shock mount, but with the small frame and air shock it is too tight to fit everything through there. Coil should be fine, and dhx air on the m and l's should be fine also.

It must be a pain in the but to fit all the parts inside of a small frame on big travel bikes.
    Good work DT and crew making it work.

I've set the front deraileur as high as possible, getting some chain rub when in small front and about half way down in the rear cluster, don't know if you'll be able to see in the photo but the cage did hit the rear deraileur cable housing once on bottom out and nicked the housing. Being in the middle ring should take care of that.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=airwreck]I think the travel is 7" with the 8.5 x 2.5, sorry i'm starting to get cornfused.[QUOTE]

You should have 7.27" of rear wheel travel with an 8.5" i2i / 2.5"stroke shock.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast