KgB
    SNGLSPD

should I sell my flux to buy a six pack?

so my Flux is on E-bay to finance the six pack.
    And I am having serious sellers remorse.
    I think of all the great rides I have done on that bike and what a flawless bike it is.I have never had more fun on a bike,especially on Moore Fun Trail.I cleaned sections of trails that I once thought unrideable.
    I am rarely sentimental about stuff especially about stuff that is replaceable but in light of recent developements it may be ireplaceable.
    Should I just sell a kidney or a worn out liver to pay for my next obsession.

Either way I'm headed out to the motherland to pick up the pack in person.
    I've been inside too long.

HIKE!

Yes

Certainly you should sell the Flux and get the SixPack.

... I guess you won't be
    Are you going to get a six pack of Bell's Oberon?.....its a very tasty beer!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Keep the Flux for a while. If you find you are riding the 6 pack and not the Flux, then you can sell the flux

mtbr member
    Depends on type of riding you do. I tested both bikes and probably go for something in between , 5spot. Six pack is for super technical trails. On smooth or some techy trails i think it is an overkill and flux will keep you fresh on those 4 hrs plus ride. I'll say go test ride 6pack for a day if you can ,then decide.

Bunny Hugger

Cool-blue Rhythm Pack It!

I recently bought a Burner, which is virtually the same as the Flux; and I reassembled my Azonic Saber, which is a really burly Spot/Pack since the travel can be adjusted from 5" to 6". I ride the Saber in 6" mode; the 5" mode doesn't feel right. I must state that after riding my Saber again, I probably won't be riding the Burner anytime soon. The Saber is heavier than the Burner, but that extra travel feels oh so good. It hardly bobs, thanks to the Romic shock.

If I were to keep just one bike, I would keep the Saber. It has the FSR Horst link design. It is more versatile. It's heavier due to the burlier construction and Romic shock. But I find that I don't fly up the hills on my Burner either

So for you, I say GET THE PACK! I doubt that you would regret it. But I am certain that you would regret selling a Pack to get a Flux.
    Hug the Bunny

Elitest thrill junkie
    I ride my 6 pack everywhere, but before you get one, there are some things you should be aware of;

It will be heavier, and in my experience a heavier bike makes more of a difference for endurance and pedaling than something that's "efficiant". I can get on a bike that is 8lbs lighter than my pack and ride it around all day easier, even if it's bobbing, simply because it's a lot lighter and the rotational mass is a lot lighter.

Secondly, the most important aspect of climbing is your leg power, so this will require a bit more, but there's two kinds of riders out there, those with leg power and those without. With "power" you'll be able to climb just about anything that the XC guys do, but you'll have to have stonger legs to do so. I am always getting stronger with my pack, and climbs that I did in granny gear a year ago I am now doing in the middle gear. I ride with a friend that rides SS, and I figure that anywhere he can make a climb I can at least make it in the middle gear. Because of this, I am getting much stronger and becomming a better climber than many of the people I ride with. All this on a 33-34lb bike, while everyone I ride with is usually on a ligher bike. What I am saying here is that it's possible for you to have a pack, or similer bike, and rock on it, in all kinds of terrain. You will get to be "stronger" than the people you ride with if you are willing to put down the dedication. There are so many levels of "riders" out there though that you'll inevitably find people much faster than you, but too often we ride in "isolated" groups or alone and become slower over time, because the entire group gets slower.

So, even though I think weight plays a bigger factor than just pedaling efficiancy, I also feel that ~10lb variations in bike weight don't hugely impact the rider. If you were a fast rider before, you'll still be a fast rider, only a bit slower and you'll get stronger to make up the difference. If you were a slow rider before, it will slow you down a little more, but not much. You'll "condition" yourself to ride it fairly fast.

The pack is a blast on technical trails, and it can be very versatile. Ride it XC one day, then do shuttle runs the next.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    The pack is a blast on technical trails, and it can be very versatile. Ride it XC one day, then do shuttle runs the next.
    Especially if you run a Frankenfork
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Especially if you run a Frankenfork
    BOOYAH! I've gotten one ride in on the frankenfork; I should have made one long ago!

KgB
    SNGLSPD

reading comprehension is key

Either way I'm headed out to the motherland to pick up the pack in person.
    No question about buying a six pack,it,s a done deal and I'm headed out to Turner HQ to pick it up in person.
    I'm just having a hard time boxing up the Flux,with all luck the auction won't reach reserve price.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    is it too late to pull it?

with the exception of only one bike, I have regreted selling every single bike that I owned.

dude with orange car
    Is your bike on ebay this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...36#description
    ?

If so, I have been very interested in it as an upgrade to my '01 Superlight. If you keep it listed for sale, I'm the lucky winner and meet your reserve (a lot of ifs there), rest assured your bike will be in good hands and will be exercised regularly all through the year.

Hope you figure it out soon. I completely empathize with your dilemma.

-Mike

KgB
    SNGLSPD

yep that's me

Quote Originally Posted by Plim
    Is your bike on ebay this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...36#description
    ?

If so, I have been very interested in it as an upgrade to my '01 Superlight. If you keep it listed for sale, I'm the lucky winner and meet your reserve (a lot of ifs there), rest assured your bike will be in good hands and will be exercised regularly all through the year.

Hope you figure it out soon. I completely empathize with your dilemma.

-Mike
    I have an Edge Cycles to cover the 4"cross country niche.If I don't get my reserve that bike will be for sale and I will keep the Flux.The main reason I chose to sell the Flux is it is a newer frame with better parts and higher resale value.
    I bought the Flux in January knowing one would have to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I also feel that ~10lb variations in bike weight don't hugely impact the rider.
    I hate to pick a fight, but in an area where weight differences are measured in GRAMS, how can someone make a statement like this with a straight face?

banned
    As far as weight goes, I didn't really notice the >200 gram difference between the Flux and the Burner. The weight only becomes somewhat apparent on steep climbs, and can contribute to the ability to ride for longer periods of time.

I am also a bigger guy. I can see this amount being more siginificant for smaller, lighter riders where this number is a greater percentage of their total body weight.

That said, most of us aren't weight weenies and we're looking for ride quality over the grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    As far as weight goes, I didn't really notice the >200 gram difference between the Flux and the Burner. The weight only becomes somewhat apparent on steep climbs, and can contribute to the ability to ride for longer periods of time.

I am also a bigger guy. I can see this amount being more siginificant for smaller, lighter riders where this number is a greater percentage of their total body weight.

That said, most of us aren't weight weenies and we're looking for ride quality over the grams.
    Sure. And being a roadie as well as an off-road rider, I understand the important in low weight between the two types of riding. On my Madone, I count every gram. Not as much so on my MTB rigs and my coming Flux. But I dont care what, when, where or how youre riding....ten pounds makes a huge difference.

banned
    Ten pounds is a very big difference.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    From the rider's standpoint, 10 lbs. makes a huge difference in how the bike is going to feel. But, if a strong rider gets on a bike that's 10 lbs. heavier than mine, he's still going to blow my doors off on the climbs. Just not as much.
    Last edited by 2TurnersNotEnough; 11-18-2005 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    Sure. And being a roadie as well as an off-road rider, I understand the important in low weight between the two types of riding. On my Madone, I count every gram. Not as much so on my MTB rigs and my coming Flux. But I dont care what, when, where or how youre riding....ten pounds makes a huge difference.
    It depends a great deal on what your doing with a bike, more weight = greater stability on the downs, within reason. DH race bikes run from mid thirties to low fifties, that's pounds not grams