Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BOOST THAT SH*T!

Should this have happened to my Pack?

Well I'm a bit taken a back by what happened while riding this afternoon.

I was just in the garage diagnosing a noise/change in the way my Pack was rolling along on my ride earlier. Well come to find out the bolt that is on the drive side, that connects the rear to the front looks as though it has either broken or has come loose enough to rub on my little ring. I wasn't able to see it on the ride so I thought I banged the rear derailleur a bit and rode back at an even pace. Now that I have seen it I can see what the problem was. Should those come loose? I have never dealt with this before and am hoping to get some feedback.
    "A splendid time was had by all and all were had." ~ Wire Train

Now with flavor!!
    Do you get this confused when every other bolt on your bike gets loose?

Tighten it man!!
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Bodhisattva
    Seems to be a recurring problem with the 6-Packs.

The SAME EXACT THING happened to me in Moab this past weekend but luckily it only caused squeaking and didn't back all the way out into the drivetrain before I had a chance to retighten the bolt.

El Chingon told me the same thing happened to him.
    Tscheezy told me that he's read other reports of the same thing happening.

Why it's happening exclusively to the drive side main pivot bolt is a mystery to me.

You'll need a T40 torx driver in order to snug it up again. I recommend removing the crank and applying blue lock-tite before reinstalling.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had it happen too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

BOOST THAT SH*T!
    Thanks for chimming in folks.

Should that have even happened? I would think that would be fixed up initially with some locktite so it wouldn't be an issue. The bolt is pretty chewed up not to mention the number it pulled on my little ring. Bummer.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Why it's happening exclusively to the drive side main pivot bolt is a mystery to me.
    Least the stay isn't cracking on the drive side like....! Jeese!

BOOST THAT SH*T!
    ouch! yea I'm glad about that.

Bodhisattva
    LOL.
    Rich, what the heck happened to you this weekend? You missed some good times with the Homers.
    We even allowed two "E" riders to join the crew but they were warned in advance that any broken frames and we were leaving them for coyote meat.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 10-10-2005 at 10:11 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    no, it shouldt happen but as kid so elequently suggested, its our responcibility to either check the tightness/torque/locktite of our entire bikes hardware at regular intervals or pay a shop to do it for us. its part of the deal guys. and yeah, ive seen a good handfull of the same prob posted lately. drag about the late discovery and subsiquent damage.
    No, I'm NOT back!

BOOST THAT SH*T!
    Wells it's the first and last time it will happen. I'll add it to the pre ride check list.

Thanks again guys.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    LOL.
    Rich, what the heck happened to you this weekend? You missed some good times with the Homers.
    Well the deal is this. I had a huge group and we DID ride porc on Sat. But we figured it would just add to the frey to try and pawn 7 more peeps on your big heap..... But we did have a blast. This guy, Bob, from South Dakota gave us a clinic on several 6+ footers to flat sandstone... And this lovely move on the new slab line on Porc (the hardest move on the whole trail). It was sweet.

BTW, one of the guys with our group had a Six Pack and I rode it...and loved it.

I'll catch you when there is less peeps. Looks like you all had a blast. I hope Tim wasn't overwhelmed since I know he likes small groups.

... I guess you won't be
    that happened on my new spot - two years ago, got scraped up pretty bad, but I still had some old bolts from my ancient burner lying around so it wasn't a big deal......bolts sometimes come loose.....it's all part of the fun [except when it's a motor mount bolt on a motorcycle - bzzzzzzzzzz.....]
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Team Sanchez
    Squeeker tells no lies. It happended to me after about 5 rides, and I just pulled the crank off, and put some blue loctite on it. 200 miles later, and the bolt hasn't budged.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    And this lovely move on the new slab line on Porc (the hardest move on the whole trail). It was sweet.

Is that the new line at the end, at the creek? Looks like his front wheel is gonna catch the lip of the slab.

Team Sanchez
    Yeah. That is the new line on the "Body Bag".

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Is that the new line at the end, at the creek? Looks like his front wheel is gonna catch the lip of the slab.
    Indeed. The old line is completely washed out. The favored line is a roll slighly to his right with a right off camber move onto the slab, which is left cambered. He's ignoring that line and simple gapping it. He had some decent speed and made it look easy. Bob is one of the best (non-pro) riders I have hung with and that includes some Carolina folks I rode with on one of Hfly's "huckers" routes.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQDave
    Well I'm a bit taken a back by what happened while riding this afternoon.

I was just in the garage diagnosing a noise/change in the way my Pack was rolling along on my ride earlier. Well come to find out the bolt that is on the drive side, that connects the rear to the front looks as though it has either broken or has come loose enough to rub on my little ring. I wasn't able to see it on the ride so I thought I banged the rear derailleur a bit and rode back at an even pace. Now that I have seen it I can see what the problem was. Should those come loose? I have never dealt with this before and am hoping to get some feedback.
    Standard feature on the Pack.

Mine did it too. Clean, re-apply some loc-tite and torque it back in.
    Nothing to see here.

No, that's not phonetic
    What thin skin we have these days.

I have no idea why, but there seems to be a run of Turners lately assembled with grease instead of loctite. Inexcusable, imo, but not the end of the world. Just take each bolt out, clean it well, asseble with blue loctite. All fixed.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    It's an epidemic!!! I just walked out to the garage and I saw that mine was loose too. Thanks for the heads up.

Bodhisattva
    Maybe it's a Utah thing

On Saturday I morphed from The Squeaky Wheel into The Squeaky Pivot.

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Same thing happened to my pack. What was odd is that the factory applied loc-tite was still on the threads, undisturbed. I think I used red loc-tite since that was all that was available at the moment.

Which is stronger, red or blue? I hope I didn't scr3w myself.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder

That line looked very appealing to me when there last week. But.....I wussed out and hoofed it down.

Penence for that was getting rain drenched on my ride with Tim.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    no, it shouldt happen but as kid so elequently suggested, its our responcibility to either check the tightness/torque/locktite of our entire bikes hardware at regular intervals or pay a shop to do it for us. its part of the deal guys. and yeah, ive seen a good handfull of the same prob posted lately. drag about the late discovery and subsiquent damage.
    Cactuscorn,

Where did you learn how to spell bro? Are those just typos or honest-to-goodness "I don't know how to spell the word" mistakes?
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus

Which is stronger, red or blue? I hope I didn't scr3w myself.
    Red is stronger and you don't want to use too strong for a given bolt. Red is for 3/8 to 1" bolts. Too strong and it might be Siezetite!

Flyin Canine
    I had the same happen on my 01' RFX when I purchased it used. drive side same as everyone else. I retorqued it and it came loose again. Got the blue locktite and applied it to the bolt after cleaning the threads and it's stayed put ever since. Seems like Turner is doing something incorrect in the application of their locktite on those bolts. The drive side is the hardest one to get to on the trail side too. Better re-locktite it in the garage before it becomes an issue on the trail cause I don't know that many riders you carry socket wrenches and crank pullers in their camelbaks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast