Thread: Shoot me now!

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Shoot me now!

Week 3 off of the bike and I'm slipping into madness. The weekend's here and I'm sitting in front of this blasted computer whilst my buds are all out playing in the dirt.

Some friends brought over a pile of MTB vids and I watched a few last night...that made me feel even worse.

So, where is What's his Name? Is the soup still poisoned? I haven't learned any new 6 syllable words, or seen pics of gravity droopers modified with whale bones, in far too long.

Please.....shoot me now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Bodhisattva
    Look on the bright side.

You're in San Diego and can watch the Chargers tomorrow.

Ooooops...my bad. Resume sulking.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Hey Steve, how about some change in scenery? Here's some self portrait Alaska shots. Maybe this will be a short diversion to help maintain your sanity.

How about it, you other Homers out there slam him with pics from your neighborhoods for his entertainment.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Where in Alaska were those pictures taken? Absolutely stunning scenery.

Aqua, injuries suck. Hang in there!

mtbr member
    ....hey Man, I feel your pain!!! Only 2 days post shoulder surgery & I am ready to strangle something after a couple days with no sleep!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by jncarpenter; 01-20-2007 at 11:18 AM.

nerfherder

Contract Hit

My cup runneth over

Alaska in CO

Colorado's Front Range Green Mountain from this morning's ride. I accidentally came across a mile marker not having a clue where the trail was . The second picture is a tunnel that connect Green Mountain with Forsberg park - that isn't just a 4 ft snow drift, it extends out to the mountain at the same depth. Aqua's going to be back on the trails before any of us here!

Nice and crusty on top for the most part so going down hilll is manageble right up until you hit a soft patch.... I must have endoed 5 or 6 times onto the snow while being too aggressive .

Feelin' a little better Aqua?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Aqua...shoot others, not yourself...LOL! Something odd for us Texas this time of year is the 10+ days of ice, sleet, snow, and rain. Yeah, I know you CO folks are dropping big ol' crocidile tears for us. Aqua, you're old like me, so I'm not sure if you're into the computer gaming like many of the youngsters, , but when I saw this weather coming, which was going to ground me as readily as your busted leg, I went out and bought some PC war games. It hasn't been half bad, as apparently killing, maiming, and blowing up pixelated enemies does seem to take the edge off of being tempted to kill and maim myself over a heavy case of cabin fever. No, it won't last forever, but maybe in the short term some PC murder and mayhem could ease the pain. At least I'm looking to the possibility of riding at the end of next week. Good luck and good healing.

Amphibious Technologies
    Nice new ride Aqua. Does that come with a GD?
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    hang in there buddy....I've been there. I was almost a full year on crutches after shattering my right heel back in 02. Two weeks of walking around and going to work every day with a shattered heel (so the swelling would go down before surgery). Then close to 6.5 hours under the knife.

That definitely gave me time to think about my riding and now every time I’m on my bike I feel like I’m blessed to be able to ride.

keep that chin up and stay positive...you'll be back in no time!

bike weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    Hey Steve, how about some change in scenery? Here's some self portrait Alaska shots. Maybe this will be a short diversion to help maintain your sanity.

How about it, you other Homers out there slam him with pics from your neighborhoods for his entertainment.

Rando
    Mmmm... roots....

mtbr member

Wow That Hurts

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Look on the bright side.

You're in San Diego and can watch the Chargers tomorrow.

Ooooops...my bad. Resume sulking.
    I mean I guess it does,I won't know I'm from NEW ENGLAND GOOOOO PAT'S. And no its not Indy's time.........I am however sorry for any rider down and out. Peace..CF.....

rr
    I don't do PC
    Soup, koolaid, the whole thing is jacked up, like your knee. You need one of those 4 wheel MB's, that would be cool cause you would build some upper body strength and you could kick Dusty's ass for stiring up the homers.

rmac- cool pics, we got out today in the canyon here, fun day but some hikeabike, lots of snow still down here too.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    don't let him fool you folks.....he still hit noble canyon today and did more riding than i did

Time flies...
    El Ching, I can see yer firing pin from the muzzle...

I can second the video games suggestion. You can skip thru weeks and months with a few good games!
    ...every day sends future to past...

Just another FOCer
    Hey Aqua, stop making fun of the GD!

(From today’s Bell Ridge ride in Socal.)

The rider was fine considering and beat me with ease to the finish of the ride.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

ISO Gems...

Don't let Aqua fool you, is right as Fo mentioned earlier. I think he managed to pedal over a mile in his neighborhood with his cast on. BTW, Winston killer ride today and that dude pictured above (CalEpic) is very lucky to have been able to cruise out under his own power.

D
    Last edited by Dirty D; 01-21-2007 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    ...no ride pics, but here is a look at the scope pics from the repair to my labrum (shoulder socket cartilage):

UGI

Not quite Alaska

Heal Quick
    i4Detail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston

T
    Gawd, I miss a week of riding and I can't even get along with myself. I can only imagine how your getting thru this. Heal fast.

Was on that ride, with Winston. CalEpics finger looked really bizarre going in 3 different directions. I was already at the bottom of the hill so I got to watch him go OTB from that angle which still looked pretty scary. Aqua you would of loved this ride.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Video games are the answer

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Aqua...shoot others, not yourself...LOL! Something odd for us Texas this time of year is the 10+ days of ice, sleet, snow, and rain. Yeah, I know you CO folks are dropping big ol' crocidile tears for us. Aqua, you're old like me, so I'm not sure if you're into the computer gaming like many of the youngsters, , but when I saw this weather coming, which was going to ground me as readily as your busted leg, I went out and bought some PC war games. It hasn't been half bad, as apparently killing, maiming, and blowing up pixelated enemies does seem to take the edge off of being tempted to kill and maim myself over a heavy case of cabin fever. No, it won't last forever, but maybe in the short term some PC murder and mayhem could ease the pain. At least I'm looking to the possibility of riding at the end of next week. Good luck and good healing.
    When I broke my right wrist I couldn't even play video games! 2 months with no blasting the bad guys was tough. I also tried hiking but I found going down trails I would ride with ease were so slippery that I wound up falling (usually on my right arm) so I gave that up. Now that I can ride the trails are just deep snow as far as the eye can see. And, for those in the Denver area today, Sunday morning--look outside, it's snowing!!! Whoopee!!!

Negative Rep Points!!!!

I'm a roadie!!!

After waking up in such a foul mood, yesterday, I had had enough of this Effing cast. I packed up my gear, grabbed me Jones and headed east towards the mountains. I desperately needed to breathe some mountain air and escape the evils of the city.

I pulled the non drive side pedal off, and was able to get in about 10 miles of riding from the trailhead, into Pine Valley, and then back.

Not quite a ride at Noble Canyon. But, man it was most euphoric to be pedaling in the mountains again.

Enjoy your rides. Savor every moment you have out there!

AquaRoadie
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (199.6 KB, 811 views)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pretty cool being on the bike again yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    After waking up in such a foul mood, yesterday, I had had enough of this Effing cast. I packed up my gear, grabbed me Jones and headed east towards the mountains. I desperately needed to breathe some mountain air and escape the evils of the city.

I pulled the non drive side pedal off, and was able to get in about 10 miles of riding from the trailhead, into Pine Valley, and then back.

Not quite a ride at Noble Canyon. But, man it was most euphoric to be pedaling in the mountains again.

AquaRoadie

I bet you got more enjoyment out of that ride than you ever imagined.

mtbr member

Aqua sighting at Hodges North...

I ran into Aqua at the stream crossing today--he was playing on the wooden bridge! Pictures at 11! (I used his camera).

TD

TNC
    noMAD man
    Damn Aqua...now that's some desire to ride you got there. Kinda makes some of us around here out to be...well...wimps...LOL!

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...no ride pics, but here is a look at the scope pics from the repair to my labrum (shoulder socket cartilage):

Anyone else notice the name of the surgeon here?????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Anyone else notice the name of the surgeon here?????
    ...he's the best around my area, for sure

Reviewer/Tester

AquaRoadie

Hey Aqua..be careful with that leg.

I was in the hospital with a busted leg like yours one time, had it in a full cast like yours and was cruising around in a fast lightweight wheelchair with pump-up tires on it, my leg resting on a board sticking out the front.

I decided that the hill leading down to the main entrance looked like a good run, So I got a nurse to help push me up to the top on pretense that I wanted to buy something from the shop.

As soon as she was gone, I was away down that hill like a rocket...

That little wheelchair sure did move along. Only problem was, I couldn't quite make the corner at the bottom and smacked that leg into the wall of the hospital. The cast broke. I had to go back into surgery to have the leg re-set...

So be careful mate. Don't go too hard too soon...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

and

don't work up a sweat up inside that cast. Sorry to sound like your mother "and remember, don't sweat inside your cast Aqua!" but it will help if you can keep the insides as dry as possible. But maybe pedaling 10 miles one legged doesn't make you sweat!

involuntary dismounter

shall i shoot you in your good leg?
    i'm not sure if you're being impressively presistent or pigheaded and stubborn with that roadie gig...but be careful will ya? i'm all for doing what you need to do to remain sane...but make sure you don't delay the healing process...main priority is to get out of that freakin' cast asap!! hang in there!

jnc - sweet surgery pics! take care of that thing and heal fast!

rainman - funny sh!t dude! nice how you suckered that nurse into pushing you up that hill!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

... I guess you won't be
    Aqua - you should get some bolt on footpeg and use that to prop up your cast for your roadie rides

that said, you might have not enjoyed my Michigan icestorm weekend ride w/ a cast............

yeah, I know...it's a surly and titus mix, and yes, I did know my fork lost all it's air [weird - frozen water in the schraeder air valves let out all the air - got it wet and the water froze, driving the valves open].............left the turner at home for some SS fun...
    Last edited by jokermtb; 01-21-2007 at 05:07 PM.

My cup runneth over
    Nice pics Joker. 'Round here we call that a snow dustin' . Another six inches just fell from the skies today on the front range - maybe we'll see the dirt again NEXT winter

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    El Ching, I can see yer firing pin from the muzzle...
    I had my 3 year old daughter take that pic, so for her safety, I didn't chamber the round.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ....hey Man, I feel your pain!!! Only 2 days post shoulder surgery & I am ready to strangle something after a couple days with no sleep!!!!!!!!!

dewd, that'll make you go blind.
    Nothing to see here.

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Nice pics Joker. 'Round here we call that a snow dustin' . Another six inches just fell from the skies today on the front range - maybe we'll see the dirt again NEXT winter
    whatever man...it snowed in freakin' TUCSON today!!! normally i wouldn't whine about it...but i just bought a new fork, installed it yesterday...and then didn't get to ride!
    FOCK!

yeah, yeah...i know...boo hoo...

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    whatever man...it snowed in freakin' TUCSON today!!! normally i wouldn't whine about it...but i just bought a new fork, installed it yesterday...and then didn't get to ride!
    FOCK!

you gave gigi a 'fork' job? ..cool....
    what fork?

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    you gave gigi a 'fork' job? ..cool....
    what fork?
    reba! sold the old mx comp too...so it ended up being a very affordable upgrade!

ETA: here's a pic...it's crappy...i'll have better ones from my next ride!

Attachment 228812
    Last edited by dHarriet; 12-01-2007 at 03:02 AM.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I haven't been able to ride since I got back from Sedona 10 days ago. It is wayyyyyy too cold out here on the western slope. Looks like Moab is gonna be in the mid 40s later this week. I'll have to do a little more of this......

Slickrock (1-1-07)
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    reba! sold the old mx comp too...so it ended up being a very affordable upgrade!

ETA: here's a pic...it's crappy...i'll have better ones from my next ride!

Attachment 228812
    Looks sweet, dH!

I was going to get a Reba for my SS, but I stumbled upon a close out 06 Revelation for a similar price I still have to install it though....

tg
    mtbr member
    How do you like your revelation? thinking of getting one for my 5-spot

Quote Originally Posted by tg
    How do you like your revelation? thinking of getting one for my 5-spot
    I haven't ridden it much yet (since I need to install it ) , but I got it because I love the performance of the Pike on my 575, and they are very similar (biggest differences being the 20mm axle and 10mm in travel). I love the Pike and expect to love the Rev too!

tg
    mtbr member
    Thank For The Info. Keep Me Posted.

No prob!

One comment on that pic: AUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Lemonade

How's that saying go? "When life serves ya up a lemon......"

I certainly appreciate the concerns and warnings. But, here's the thing... pedaling my bike in this fashion is nothing compared to how risky it is for me getting in and out of the shower right now.

I slip into my leg condom and then try to manuever in and out of the shower, without faceplanting....now that is totally terrifying.[/FONT]

rr
    I don't do PC
    I've really enjoyed the Revelation on my Burner, I don't extend it out beyond 120mm or so cause it whacks out the HA. Zoke makes a QR all mountain fork with adj travel 130-150 I think, to me that's a better choice on the Spot cause you can extend the travel out for the descents. I think with the Rev you will run it at full travel and probably find you don't need to lower it any for the climbs. A buddy has an XL Spot with 130 fork and to me it climbs nice but I was wishing for a little extra travel for the descent.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    How's that saying go? "When life serves ya up a lemon......"

I certainly appreciate the concerns and warnings. But, here's the thing... pedaling my bike in this fashion is nothing compared to how risky it is for me getting in and out of the shower right now.

I slip into my leg condom and then try to manuever in and out of the shower, without faceplanting....now that is totally terrifying.[/font]
    dude, i still hate you as you CONTINUE to be out there riding more than me!

and look on the bright side, not only do you now get the Senior citizen discount at Denny's, but with your temporary handicap placard you get to park right up front with all the blue haired bettys

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle

and look on the bright side, not only do you now get the Senior citizen discount at Denny's, but with your temporary handicap placard you get to park right up front with all the blue haired bettys
    He prefers blondes

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    He prefers blondes

bad...very bad!
    WAY worse than hairy fat naked dude!!!

rr
    I don't do PC
    That thong is hot huh?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    I mean I guess it does,I won't know I'm from NEW ENGLAND GOOOOO PAT'S. And no its not Indy's time.........I am however sorry for any rider down and out. Peace..CF.....
    Who's time is it?
    Brady's had his chances...it's Peyton's turn baby.

involuntary dismounter
    That thong is hot huh?
    no

Knomer

A friend of mine has been riding a Revelation for about 4 months. It is currently stuck down at 115mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston

Geez - I'll never live this down.

Good job Aqua!

C

Captain Underpants
    You owe us a ride report on the new fork, I'd like to hear your impressions . . . .

Aqua, I can't believe you rode WITH A CAST ON. That should be a picture in the dictionary under the word "dedication".

Captain Underpants

ewwwww

That thong is hot huh?
    No lunch for me now . . .
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 02-16-2008 at 12:10 PM.

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    You owe us a ride report on the new fork, I'd like to hear your impressions . . . .
    it freakin' snowed!!! in freakin' AZ!!!
    so ride report will have to wait until next weekend!

Is my rear tire flat?

Where is that pic from?

Looks amazingly like Washington Sate.
    db
    Quote Originally Posted by i4detail
    Heal Quick
    Liberty Lake Wa.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    A friend of mine has been riding a Revelation for about 4 months. It is currently stuck down at 115mm.
    When that happened to mine I bled a little air from the bottom valve and it came right back up. I've been running less in the bottom than the top (RS recommends starting w/equal pressures) and haven't had any more problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

yo dHarriet

FOCK!

Go over to the Front Range (Colorado) forum and check out the last post on "Snow Totals..." if you want to gain some perspective on what "snow" is!

Time flies...
    Aqua does Hodges...you go, bro!

dH does gigi right w/ a Reba....you go, girl!

...Reba MacGigi....

mtbr member
    From reading through this thread, it would seem that the thing requiring the most dedication would be Aqua taking a shower. Not because of the uncertainty of slipping, but because of knowing that after the shower, he has to take that duct tape off

Great pictures Aqua!

Sheesh! Broken leg and still riding more than most!

crazyhouse

Glad to Be Alive
    3 words Aqua

Pizza, Hookers, beer
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

My cup runneth over
    FOCK!

DH - 'tis harder when you aren't used to it.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Unbalanced?

Yo, Peeps of the cyberworld:

I pose this question to you. I know most of you are not qualified in any way to answer this.... You aren't doctors....but I heard that Leaky Wheel plays one on TV.

Do you see any downside in pedaling around with one leg? I like to think of myself as being a well balanced individual and I am wondering if this is perhaps going to throw me out of whack.

I appreciate you not giving me your standard smartass replies.

Castaholic

Glad to Be Alive
    Yo Peeps of the cyberworld:

I have a question to throw out there. I know most of you are not qualified in any way to answer this. You aren't doctors....but I heard that Leaky Wheel plays one on TV.

Do you see any downside in pedaling around with one leg? I like to think of myself as being a well balanced individual and I am wondering if this is perhaps going to throw me out of whack.

Castaholic

yeah...you will start pedaling with a hump....One leg going faster then another... and you will have a lean (small turn) to the good leg......

U my friend need to drink and eat pizza, and drink, and score some hookers (plural) and drink

P.S. I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night (drinking, hookers, and pizza
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

I pose this question to you. I know most of you are not qualified in any way to answer this.... You aren't doctors....but I heard that Leaky Wheel plays one on TV.

Castaholic
    The only downside I see is the fact that your right leg keeps growing at twice the rate as usual. And your left [broken] leg is losing it's muscle at a rapid rate. Other than a "funny look" when this is all said and done. I don't see thing out of the ordinary.

Outcast

Castaholic
    What, like you're in a position to make up rules?
    If you are pulling up harder on your pedal to compensate for the lack of downward force no longer present on the other side, you may feel some strain in your upper frontal thigh and lower abdominal area. If you pull to hard, you could strain some of that musculature.
    also, your left nut will get a lot bigger

mtbr member

try one of these

cures my boredom when there's no riding to be had-we've got some sweet cardboard doubles in the shipping area here...
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member

Castaholic
    ...just get a BioPace Crank arm & you should be good to go.

Team Blindspot

I see eveyone else got the smartass responses out of the way.

Castaholic
    Aqua, sorry Cast,

Since I'm in the same boat at you, (second time for me). I, unfortunately have experience with this topic.

I broke my hip the last day of May 2003. I was riding again at the end of Aug. Lots of atrophy to my leg and buttocks (for lack of a better term). Riding strength came back very quickly, however, and within a month I felt like I had pretty much all my strength back. I joked that I could ride better than I could walk.

Be prepared, your leg will look like a cadaver when they take the cast off. Wrinkly looking with an odd coloration. And no muscle. You can probably feel your leg moving around in thhe cast now vs. when it first went on.

I think you are fine pedaling around on one leg. You will at least keep some muscle tone in that leg.

Good Luck.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yeah, one-legged equals some imbalance

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Aqua, sorry Cast,

Since I'm in the same boat at you, (second time for me). I, unfortunately have experience with this topic.

I broke my hip the last day of May 2003. I was riding again at the end of Aug. Lots of atrophy to my leg and buttocks (for lack of a better term). Riding strength came back very quickly, however, and within a month I felt like I had pretty much all my strength back. I joked that I could ride better than I could walk.

Be prepared, your leg will look like a cadaver when they take the cast off. Wrinkly looking with an odd coloration. And no muscle. You can probably feel your leg moving around in the cast now vs. when it first went on.

I think you are fine pedaling around on one leg. You will at least keep some muscle tone in that leg.

Good Luck.
    My opinion is it's OK to pedal one-legged but don't do it to keep your former fitness or strength. Do it to keep the rubber side down and the mental liberation it affords you. Any strengthening you do in this fashion is not going to be "normal" if that's the word. S-Works is very correct in his admonition for preparedness, mentally, for when you get your cast off. But, as alarmed as I was when I got my cast off my right arm, it now has slowly built back to close to before, even though the strength has a long way to go. There is no freakin' way you can maintain your fitness/strength now as if you were never injured. Don't let that be your goal. Accept that when you do get back to riding you will EVENTUALLY regain it all, but you have to take the long view.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Don't look Ethyl

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Lots of atrophy to my leg and buttocks (for lack of a better term).

Be prepared, your leg will look like a cadaver when they take the cast off. Wrinkly looking with an odd coloration. And no muscle.
    Not meaning to shock, but here's a couple pics that truly illustrate what S-Works was talking about. The first is how much my leg atrophied after four weeks of being immobilized. The second shot right after my cast was cut off following my second surgery. Talk about wrinkly!

Don't freak out though Aqua, your end result may not be as dramatic if you're spending less time in that cast.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

involuntary dismounter
    ok...so as i was icing my knee after spinning class today, i thought about this thread...

i bit it thanksgiving weekend of 2005...one year and a couple of months ago...on a trail i have ridden about 100+ times...easy as pie...more of a training run than anything else...too much speed, slight concentration lapse, and i went down onto my left knee...onto a rock...it happened so fast i still don't know exactly what went wrong...and i've played it in my head over and over again...a lot...but i knew it was bad as soon as i went down....

i rode out...because i'm a nut like that...but my knee was 2x the size of my other one by the time i was in the car, and after 600mg of ibuprofen and ice, i was still in so much pain i thought i was going to either pass out or throw up.

before it happened i was in great shape, teaching 6-8 classes a week, and riding outside 2-3 times a week.

i fell on a sunday...iced all weekend...refused to go to the emergency room...crazy...i know...but nothing was broken...so there was no way...

then i went to the gym on tuesday, to teach...off the bike...but my friend and sports trainer saw me and sent me on my merry way to campus health...after yelling at me about knee pads, etc.

they did xrays, nothing broken...severe damage to 3 bursal sacs in the knee...stay off of it, don't ride, don't excercise legs at all...sit on the couch! yeah...that was going to happen.

so i did about 5 months of let it get better, then ride until it got worse, then stay off of it again...cycle of badness...

finally i went to the sports med doctor, who sent me to a physical therapist...both these people understood that telling me to sit still was not going to happen...

then i spent about 2 months doing physical therapy, and another 6 months slowly getting back to riding as much as i used to...

i'm finally there...still a little out of shape, still a little slower, and still icing my knee after every ride...

here are the three most important lessons i learned from this fiasco...

1. find a sports med doctor and physical therapist that works with athletes. you need to find people that understand that your body needs to move. you need to do something...and you need to get better/stronger actively.

2. come back slowly...it's going to take a lot of time! and it's going to suck! and it's all 2 steps forward 1 step back kind of crap...grr...it sucks!!! but if you take giant leaps forward before your leg is ready...you're going to take equally giant leaps back...and that stinks even more!

3. do what you need to do to recover...work hard...but be smart...give it time...baby steps dude, baby steps...

so take it easy on the leg, don't push too hard...and feel free to vent...i get the frustration...i really do...so i won't even think you're annoying and whiny...and i will do my best to keep you entertained with questionable pictures and smiley posts!

that's the story...whole lot of words and no smileys...sorry...i'm tired...taught 2 spinning rides yesterday and then did a 1hr cardio/weight training class for fun...and taught again today...and just got home...i'm tired...but i'm also glad i can do all that and not be in severe pain...

i'm rooting for ya to get back into swing too...sooner rather than later...

oh..and here are the missing smileys...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The d lady had been there

ok...so as i was icing my knee after spinning class today, i thought about this thread...

i bit it thanksgiving weekend of 2005...one year and a couple of months ago...on a trail i have ridden about 100+ times...easy as pie...more of a training run than anything else...too much speed, slight concentration lapse, and i went down onto my left knee...onto a rock...it happened so fast i still don't know exactly what went wrong...and i've played it in my head over and over again...a lot...but i knew it was bad as soon as i went down....

i rode out...because i'm a nut like that...but my knee was 2x the size of my other one by the time i was in the car, and after 600mg of ibuprofen and ice, i was still in so much pain i thought i was going to either pass out or throw up.

before it happened i was in great shape, teaching 6-8 classes a week, and riding outside 2-3 times a week.

i fell on a sunday...iced all weekend...refused to go to the emergency room...crazy...i know...but nothing was broken...so there was no way...

then i went to the gym on tuesday, to teach...off the bike...but my friend and sports trainer saw me and sent me on my merry way to campus health...after yelling at me about knee pads, etc.

they did xrays, nothing broken...severe damage to 3 bursal sacs in the knee...stay off of it, don't ride, don't excercise legs at all...sit on the couch! yeah...that was going to happen.

so i did about 5 months of let it get better, then ride until it got worse, then stay off of it again...cycle of badness...

finally i went to the sports med doctor, who sent me to a physical therapist...both these people understood that telling me to sit still was not going to happen...

then i spent about 2 months doing physical therapy, and another 6 months slowly getting back to riding as much as i used to...

i'm finally there...still a little out of shape, still a little slower, and still icing my knee after every ride...

here are the three most important lessons i learned from this fiasco...

1. find a sports med doctor and physical therapist that works with athletes. you need to find people that understand that your body needs to move. you need to do something...and you need to get better/stronger actively.

2. come back slowly...it's going to take a lot of time! and it's going to suck! and it's all 2 steps forward 1 step back kind of crap...grr...it sucks!!! but if you take giant leaps forward before your leg is ready...you're going to take equally giant leaps back...and that stinks even more!

3. do what you need to do to recover...work hard...but be smart...give it time...baby steps dude, baby steps...

so take it easy on the leg, don't push too hard...and feel free to vent...i get the frustration...i really do...so i won't even think you're annoying and whiny...and i will do my best to keep you entertained with questionable pictures and smiley posts!

that's the story...whole lot of words and no smileys...sorry...i'm tired...taught 2 spinning rides yesterday and then did a 1hr cardio/weight training class for fun...and taught again today...and just got home...i'm tired...but i'm also glad i can do all that and not be in severe pain...

i'm rooting for ya to get back into swing too...sooner rather than later...

oh..and here are the missing smileys...

I keep posting, Aqua, because I for one can feel your frustration. When an fit rider goes from the world of the unhurt to the world of the f!!!d up it's a real shock. I said above I thought it was OK to pedal easily, but the point that dHarriet is making is that any "hard work" you put in now physically trying to ride and ignoring the risks of a fall at this time might just set you back the same amount. You're a strong individual both physically and mentally but being strong mentally is the most important thing now. Anyone I spoke with about my injury said think in terms of a year (one guy said he couldn't trust his wrist for a year and a half!) so that's been my recovery perspective--a year. When I fell off that ladder I couldn't have been in better shape or my right arm couldn't have been stronger. But it all stopped when I landed backwards. From then I just watched my fitness decline and my arm wither away for more than 3 months knowing that in the long run me not messing up my recovery at this stage was THE most important thing, not maintaining some mythical state of fitness that would come back in a jiffy once I could really start working out again. Like the lady said, baby steps.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    DHarriet, Rando, XCGuy:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. Mannnn...Randy..your pics are quite sobering. I really, REALLY want to avoid having to go under the knife!

Your words and advice, are duly noted. I'm stone cold serious when I tell people that I think I would be addicted to some controlled substance or other harmful activity if I didn't immerse myself into these activities. Mountain bikes are just the latest in a series of obsessions that I've jumped into.

So, yeah...even though I'm pedaling around like a one legged, retard around my neighborhood and Pine Valley, I find it waaaaay more risky to get in and out of the shower right now. Hell, just driving around on the freeways here in SoCal terrifies me far worse than hucking off of some boulders.

Perhaps I'm taking unnecessary risks in doing this, but, I honestly don't think so. Don't you guys get the same blank stares and endless lectures from your non MTB'ing family and friends? You can't explain it to them, they can't begin to relate.

That's how it is for me right now. I can't lay on the couch and watch any more MTB vids. I watched the whole 10 hours of Band of Brothers last weekend. My motor doesn't idle very well.

I put in time on this hand crank thing at my gym. It doesn't cut it. Just pedaling around one legged this last weekend did me a world of good. Feeling the wind on my face was just the thing I needed.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 01-24-2007 at 10:46 AM.

rr
    I don't do PC
    That is the most retarded machine ever, I'm getting pissed off looking at it.

Aqua- I don't see any problem with a little substance abuse to get you by for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

speaking of substance abuse

That is the most retarded machine ever, I'm getting pissed off looking at it.

Aqua- I don't see any problem with a little substance abuse to get you by for now.
    I

I'm not one to take painkillers even when I have a script for them, but I was issued a three month supply of Vicodin after surgery. I took the max dose for the first two weeks, then started weaning myself off of them till I was only taking 1/2 a tablet at night to sleep. Then after two months I stopped it all together. So I still have a month supply in a drawer somewhere that I'm not even tempted to take. Point being is I'm sure the Vicodin helped somewhat with my mental state when I was still in shock from the injury and sure as heck helped with the pain. I was a week from moving into a house I was building when I fell and I'm sure the drugs helped me with the usual PITA of moving, too! One-handed unpacking is a chore, lemme tell you.

involuntary dismounter
    Your words and advice, are duly noted. I'm stone cold serious when I tell people that I think I would be addicted to some controlled substance or other harmful activity if I didn't immerse myself into these activities.
    yup...drugs, or gambling, or some other addictive activity...

Don't you guys get the same blank stares and endless lectures from your non MTB'ing family and friends? You can't explain it to them, they can't begin to relate.
    yup...non mtb'ers, and even most of the people i've biked with...they go 1-2 times per month and think they're hardcore...they look at me like i'm crazy and need serious help... i really don't even bother explaining...just not worth the time, effort and frustration!

My motor doesn't idle very well.
    on idle, my motor grinds, backfires and spews a bunch of very naughty four letter words!

Just pedaling around one legged this last weekend did me a world of good. Feeling the wind on my face was just the thing I needed.
    sanity is an important factor...i say do what you need to do...as long as you're being careful and not overdoing it... and it sounds to me like you're the type to overdo it...i know...i'm the same way...

and as for the stupid hand cycler thing... ...need i say more?

when that cast comes off...the pool will be your best friend...

... I guess you won't be
    xcguy - do you take Paypal?