bicycle rider

Shock reducer maintenance question

Hey, my day to work on my bike is Sunday, and Turner's closed so I'm asking you.

I've got a 2008 Turner Flux that has been creaking. I have the Turner grease tool and some Prep-M grease, greased all the zerk fittings, checked to make sure all the usual stuff was tight, pulled the shock bolts and greased those, it still creaks. It sounded like it was coming from the shock. I emailed Turner and Greg replied (Thanks, Greg!)

Did you remove the shock reducers from the eyelets? These are in very
    tight and you will need to hold the reducer in a bench vise and rotate the
    shock back and forth to remove or use a vise grip. Once you have the
    reducers removed lube the bushing and install the reducers.
    I pulled them out with a bunch vise (shop rag on the reducer but still left some marks) and the bottom ones were in much tighter than the top ones. I'd replace them but I have an 8hr race next Saturday and for now I just want it quiet. I don't know how much bike maintenance time I'll have between now and Saturday.

What's the red stuff? When do I know it's time to replace the bushings themselves? (in the shock)

Click the pics for bigger versions if you like.

lower pivot

upper pivot

Fox RP23 & reducers

Thanks,

Morgan

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    That red stuff is a composite dry lube. You're not supposed to grease those surfaces, or they will wear faster.

Committed
    Go to your LBS and have the upper DU bushing replaced. This is cheap and quick and very well could solve your creaking problem.
    The upper DU bushing is clearly worn, this can allow unwanted movement (and noise) between the reducers and the bushing.
    You might look into the Enduro roller bearing kit for your bike in the future. I have enjoyed the results on my Spot although the jury is still out as far as long tern durability.

mtbr member
    Call up Fox and just order a few bushings and reducers. They are very cheap. Then press out the the old bushing with a couple sockets and a bench vise. Press in the new one. Reassemble (without grease)
    No more noise.

Done.

bicycle rider
    Thanks, Velo_1. I've got new bushings and bushing tools on the way. Also some of those needle bearing Enduro kits for the shock pivots. I've got two Turners (eyeing a third) so I will probably get some reducers too.

Irony; called my local Turner shop - a major one, that sells on the internet - about getting new bushings pressed in. "We'd need to send your shock to Fox." No f'n way! I like to do my own wrenching, so ordered the stuff. If anyone in Oakland, CA needs help with DU bushings, let me know.

Morgan, Daddy's Bike Shop

mtbr member
    quick question... what does the DU stand for? i assume it's an acronym...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ofrogg
    quick question... what does the DU stand for? i assume it's an acronym...
    "DU" is simply the trademark name for the type of Garlock bearing that is self-lubricating. They also manufacture a "DX" version that is prelubricated.

I found this on the interweb.

The Garlock DU bushing is the workhorse of the suspension industry. It is a steel strip that is coated with sintered bronze particles and then impregnated with a slippery teflon mixture. The strip is rolled into various sized tube shapes and becomes a self-lubricating bearing that fits almost anywhere. DU bushings are most common in shock eyelets, damper assemblies, and fork sliders, but suspension designers still use them in linkages and dropout pivots when weight savings take precidence over long-term durabilty.

I know for a fact that my DW Flux wears out the top bushing on the RP3 much faster than my older Flux.
    I've never needed to replace the lower eyelet bushing on either frame, I assume because it rotates very little.

mtbr member
    Are DU bushings standard size? Meaning SC can use Turner and Turner use SC? If they are size or brand specific than will have to get the correct one.

Thanks.

gnuH
    Quote Originally Posted by rku615
    Are DU bushings standard size? Meaning SC can use Turner and Turner use SC? If they are size or brand specific than will have to get the correct one.

Thanks.
    They are a standard size on the RP23 & RP3.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    They are a standard size on the RP23 & RP3.
    Thanks for the reply.... :-)

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rku615

Thanks.
    I think 1/2" and 12mm are the two standard sizes. Older pre-03 Rockshox shocks used 10mm.

Morgan

My cup runneth over
    FWIW, how sure are you that the creaking is coming from the suspension? The last set of creaking I had I thought was in the bushings too and the dang noise was from my pedals.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    FWIW, how sure are you that the creaking is coming from the suspension? The last set of creaking I had I thought was in the bushings too and the dang noise was from my pedals.
    Very sure. I did an 8hr race Saturday in very muddy conditions and the creaking was pretty strong. The hallmark is that it creaked at about 1-3 o'clock on the downstroke of each pedal, i.e. when power was being produced. It sounds like it's the top pivot. I actually got the Enduro bushing / bearing tools before the race, as well as some new DU bushings and the needle bearing conversion, just didn't have time to change them. After I clean the bike I'll change just the DU bushings and do a test ride. Will report back.

The pedals are TIMEs. They are quiet, have them on several bikes. Checked everything else. DU bushings on this shock have never been changed and I've done several endurance races on it, as well as long training rides.

Morgan

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    The pedals are TIMEs. They are quiet, have them on several bikes. Checked everything else. DU bushings on this shock have never been changed and I've done several endurance races on it, as well as long training rides.
    I should have probably been clearer, it was the pedal threads that screw into the crank arm that needed a spot of lubrication not the pedals themselves.

Good luck!

bicycle rider
    Thanks, rmac. It's a good spot to check. I've been through the usual suspects before I narrowed it to shock. Dang work, if I didn't have to do it I could be working on my bike right now!

Morgan

mtbr member
    Or out riding your bike, enjoying the spectacular Bay Area weather that we have had bestowed upon us after a couple of days of heavy rain…….

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenrow
    Or out riding your bike, enjoying the spectacular Bay Area weather that we have had bestowed upon us after a couple of days of heavy rain…….
    That's happening later today!

Morgan