mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Shock recommendations for the DW Flux

Last year, I purchased a '08 Spot and built it up big and now I miss having a lighter bike. My riding is typically xc with little to no drops and only the occassional rock garden (Rock-it) / (Motorway). I just finished my first endurance/marathon race - Counting Coup.

Cutting to the chase my new DW-Flux frame arrived and looking to purchase a fork soon. I know they spec them with Fox F120RLC through Turner. What are your thoughts?

Robert

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    I'm running a F120 RLC FIT damper with 15QR. Really happy with it. I had a F100RLC on the bike before and 120mm is the way to go for sure. Geometry feels perfect and the extra 20mm gives you a bit of confidence.

After about 150 miles on the FIT, I'm convinced it is a better damper. I used to feel that my fork was getting harsher toward the end of a long ride. When I heard that the FIT damper was designed to be more consistent I thought maybe it wasn't in my head and that this is a real issue. It could be all in my head, but I swear the FIT stays plush till the end of the ride.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by climr
    I'm running a F120 RLC FIT damper with 15QR. Really happy with it. I had a F100RLC on the bike before and 120mm is the way to go for sure. Geometry feels perfect and the extra 20mm gives you a bit of confidence.

After about 150 miles on the FIT, I'm convinced it is a better damper. I used to feel that my fork was getting harsher toward the end of a long ride. When I heard that the FIT damper was designed to be more consistent I thought maybe it wasn't in my head and that this is a real issue. It could be all in my head, but I swear the FIT stays plush till the end of the ride.
    I find the dampening the most amazing I have tried for a stock fork. My Pushed RS is nicer but the FIT is good. My problem with the FIT dampener is I struggle to get full travel and it is not very plush on small bumps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I find the dampening the most amazing I have tried for a stock fork. My Pushed RS is nicer but the FIT is good. My problem with the FIT dampener is I struggle to get full travel and it is not very plush on small bumps.
    Too much air, back off the air pressure (usually about 15-20 psi less than recommended by fox) and turn up the compression a little (about 4-6 clicks)

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    ya, i'm at less psi than fox recommends and pretty happy with the all aspects of the fork. I've had a pushed F100RLC before for comparison. This is the first Fox I've ever had that got full travel out of the box.

Of course, I fully expect the seals to start leaking oil within 6 months, but I've gotten used to that

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kacerrob
    Last year, I purchased a '08 Spot and built it up big and now I miss having a lighter bike. My riding is typically xc with little to no drops and only the occassional rock garden (Rock-it) / (Motorway). I just finished my first endurance/marathon race - Counting Coup.

Cutting to the chase my new DW-Flux frame arrived and looking to purchase a fork soon. I know they spec them with Fox F120RLC through Turner. What are your thoughts?

Robert
    Fox F120RLC w/15QR is a great fork for the DW Flux. The thru axle barely weighs more than the conventional skewer, tracks way better on tough corners and definitely shines on technical singletrack. And it's balanced perfectly on the DW Flux.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

thanks

I appreciate the input. It looks like the F120RLC wins over the similar F100RLC... How about RS or DT Swiss... Anything that may work in the 120mm range?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What about a 130 or 140 RLC? I have a 140 on one of bikes I am considering upgrading to a flux frame. I'd like to keep it at 140 because I really like the travel. I know people have ran 130 on a flux, but I wonder if anyone has seen how it handles with 140. I also have a DW 5 Spot with a TALAS. I like it at both 120 and 140 but really prefer 140 as I find 120 is just too low unless I am climbing.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    Before I'd run more than 120mm on a flux, I'd just stick with the 5 spot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDX
    What about a 130 or 140 RLC? I have a 140 on one of bikes I am considering upgrading to a flux frame. I'd like to keep it at 140 because I really like the travel. I know people have ran 130 on a flux, but I wonder if anyone has seen how it handles with 140. I also have a DW 5 Spot with a TALAS. I like it at both 120 and 140 but really prefer 140 as I find 120 is just too low unless I am climbing.
    How does it climb with these long forks?

I went to a 0 degree stem from a 5 degree as I found it climbed much better.

Do you guys stand on every climb or something?

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have a 100 mm Fox fork on my 09 DW Flux.
    Due to the longer head tube on the DW Turners I find that the front is very 'high' for a 100 mm bike (I ride it with a RF low riser bar + one small spacer).
    So I would say that it depends:
    - If you want to keep your Spot sensation, then you could go for a 120 mm fork,
    - but if you want a more 'xc' position, than you should go for a 100 mm fork.
    (excuse my spelling but I'm french speaker )

Moosehead
    OP, I originally ran the Fox 100 on an '08 Flux, then switched out to the RS U-turn for versatility between 120 trail and 100 event-ready/climbing settings. Now I just keep it at 120 for everything.

From all accounts here, looks like the DW Flux is even better suited for the 120 given the backend doesn't squat down as much as the older versions. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Looking at moving to the new DW flux over my 05 model. I love my U-turn at 115 on my 05 flux...Sooo, I'm looking for the ultimate fork that can take me from 100 to 130 or so. What would be my best bet? Thanks.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77
    Looking at moving to the new DW flux over my 05 model. I love my U-turn at 115 on my 05 flux...Sooo, I'm looking for the ultimate fork that can take me from 100 to 130 or so. What would be my best bet? Thanks.
    Like others have said - the 120 mil Fox is a great fit.

I run a 6 degree stem inverted to counter the long head tube.

This keeps the bars a bit lower and help climbing - but still feels great on the downhills.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've been looking at either the fox talas or the RS revelation. I'm sure that 120 would be a nice fit from what I've read but I also think I would like the option of going with 100 for long climbs or 120-130 for downills...Especially when I'm tired!!