Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shock damping and rider weight

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Steve71 
#1 ·
Yes, yes I know it isn't really a Turner specific question and I don't actually own a Turner anymore, but my membership card doesn't expire until the end of the year and you guys just know everything. Besides I still have a Turner Avatar.

So I recently bought a used pushed RP3 that came off a Titus Super Moto (2.52:1 leverage ratio). It was setup for a 180lb rider. My Reign has a 3:1 leverage ratio and I'm 150lbs. According to my calculations the extra leverage of my bike would compensate for my lighter weight (i.e. I'd be running the same spring rate as the 180lb/titus rider). But will the extra leverage work as far as damping is concerned?

#2 ·
Steve71 said:
So I recently bought a used pushed RP3 that came off a Titus Super Moto (2.52:1 leverage ratio). It was setup for a 180lb rider. My Reign has a 3:1 leverage ratio and I'm 150lbs. According to my calculations the extra leverage of my bike would compensate for my lighter weight (i.e. I'd be running the same spring rate as the 180lb/titus rider). But will the extra leverage work as far as damping is concerned?
That would be a question for PUSH. But it might actually work as you calculated. I'd say just ride it and see if it feels too firm (spikes) or too soft (wallows or bottoms out easily).

#3 ·
With the Titus build, we use full air volume and less speed sensitivity due to the high rising rate of the frame. With the Giant, we recommend using an air volume reducer and build more mid speed compression into the damper due to the Giant's very linear leverage curve.

So, short answer is no the build wouldn't be the same. It's not that it won't work, but it won't be optimum.

Darren

#4 ·
Nice calcs. I bet it will work fine. Brian Lopes might not be satisfied, but us mere mortals would probably find it fine.

And when it's time for some TLC preventive maintenance on the shock, Darren can probably make it just perfect.

#5 ·
PUSHIND said:
With the Titus build, we use full air volume and less speed sensitivity due to the high rising rate of the frame. With the Giant, we recommend using an air volume reducer and build more mid speed compression into the damper due to the Giant's very linear leverage curve.

So, short answer is no the build wouldn't be the same. It's not that it won't work, but it won't be optimum.

Darren
Ah, now that's an answer! That was one of my beefs with the Reign and the whole reason I bought the RP3. The Reigns suspension is too linear. I didn't realize you went to the extent you do (changing the air volume) for a specific bike.

In fact you Push guys are the reason I had to sell my Burner. Once my wife got some time on her pushed equipped (Float & TALAS) motolite it was all over for me. After 10 years of having her ass kicked on the DH, she dropped me going down Chimney Gulch (CO front range). It was all fun and games to watch her pass *other* guys DH on her little pink bike, but I've never been so proud/pissed as the moment I looked up coming out of a corner to see her too far into the distance to even think about closing the gap. Depending on the trail I think she would be about 10 to 30% faster on the downhill (and she was pretty fast to begin with!). So, yeah, that was the last time I rode my Burner.

#6 ·
kosmo said:
Nice calcs. I bet it will work fine. Brian Lopes might not be satisfied, but us mere mortals would probably find it fine.

And when it's time for some TLC preventive maintenance on the shock, Darren can probably make it just perfect.
Well the snow melted enough here in CO that I could go out and test out the shock on some stairs and drops.

I'm no brain Lopes, but I did notice a few things :) The RP3 felt a lot plusher than the swinger (which was already very plush on the Reign) it also took mid sized hits better (didn't feel like it was packing up), but it blew through all it's travel on 4 foot drops to (mild) tranny and during hard G-out at the bottom of the stairs. I think Darren's suggestion of more mid stroke compression damping and a lower air volume should do the trick.

#7 ·
Hey Steve...The Burner is done...

Hi Steve...just wanted you to know I finished building up the Burner...Took it out last week,before the snow here..Shweet! :D It took a few rides to dial in the shock,but thats ok...I also found a close touch-up paint matching the Turner blue,and painted the chainstays a flat/satin black..no more scratches..I'm waiting on a wheelset from Larry @ Mtn High..after I get my wheels,I'll send you some pictures of it...Thanks again for doing the sale....Peace....John B.:)

#8 ·
mtbikerjohn2003 said:
Hi Steve...just wanted you to know I finished building up the Burner...Took it out last week,before the snow here..Shweet! :D It took a few rides to dial in the shock,but thats ok...I also found a close touch-up paint matching the Turner blue,and painted the chainstays a flat/satin black..no more scratches..I'm waiting on a wheelset from Larry @ Mtn High..after I get my wheels,I'll send you some pictures of it...Thanks again for doing the sale....Peace....John B.:)
Good to hear that she's now a compete bike once again - and still on Colorado soil (or should that be rock :p )

#9 ·
it sure is a change from my hardtail....

Yeah...I still want to get it re-powder coated but thats a project for this winter...I'm also thinking of replacing my Float RL with a Zoke Marathon SL...You ran a 120,didn't you,Steve? How did that work out for you?...as soon as my wheels show up,I'll post a picture....peace,Steve...Happy trails....:)

#10 ·
Initially I had a Manitou Black 80/100. Then I tired a Fox Vanilla 130 and then at 120.

I'm not exactly sure, but the Manitou felt like it had a greater axle to crown length than the Fox. For example the Black at 100mm would be like riding the Vanilla at 110.

Each travel setting was useful for a given application, so if I were to do it again, I'd try to get a fork with adjustable travel 90-130 something like the Rock Shock Revelation, or the Fox Talas. If I had to pick one travel setting it would be 120mm, but everyone’s preference are different and you may not like it - steep climbing suffered a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.