Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,996

    Shock damping and rider weight

    Yes, yes I know it isn't really a Turner specific question and I don't actually own a Turner anymore, but my membership card doesn't expire until the end of the year and you guys just know everything. Besides I still have a Turner Avatar.

    So I recently bought a used pushed RP3 that came off a Titus Super Moto (2.52:1 leverage ratio). It was setup for a 180lb rider. My Reign has a 3:1 leverage ratio and I'm 150lbs. According to my calculations the extra leverage of my bike would compensate for my lighter weight (i.e. I'd be running the same spring rate as the 180lb/titus rider). But will the extra leverage work as far as damping is concerned?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  2. #2
    Amphibious Technologies
    Reputation: SCUBAPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    So I recently bought a used pushed RP3 that came off a Titus Super Moto (2.52:1 leverage ratio). It was setup for a 180lb rider. My Reign has a 3:1 leverage ratio and I'm 150lbs. According to my calculations the extra leverage of my bike would compensate for my lighter weight (i.e. I'd be running the same spring rate as the 180lb/titus rider). But will the extra leverage work as far as damping is concerned?
    That would be a question for PUSH. But it might actually work as you calculated. I'd say just ride it and see if it feels too firm (spikes) or too soft (wallows or bottoms out easily).
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PUSHIND's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,635
    With the Titus build, we use full air volume and less speed sensitivity due to the high rising rate of the frame. With the Giant, we recommend using an air volume reducer and build more mid speed compression into the damper due to the Giant's very linear leverage curve.

    So, short answer is no the build wouldn't be the same. It's not that it won't work, but it won't be optimum.

    Darren

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,312
    Nice calcs. I bet it will work fine. Brian Lopes might not be satisfied, but us mere mortals would probably find it fine.

    And when it's time for some TLC preventive maintenance on the shock, Darren can probably make it just perfect.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

  5. #5
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,996
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    With the Titus build, we use full air volume and less speed sensitivity due to the high rising rate of the frame. With the Giant, we recommend using an air volume reducer and build more mid speed compression into the damper due to the Giant's very linear leverage curve.

    So, short answer is no the build wouldn't be the same. It's not that it won't work, but it won't be optimum.

    Darren
    Ah, now that's an answer! That was one of my beefs with the Reign and the whole reason I bought the RP3. The Reigns suspension is too linear. I didn't realize you went to the extent you do (changing the air volume) for a specific bike.

    In fact you Push guys are the reason I had to sell my Burner. Once my wife got some time on her pushed equipped (Float & TALAS) motolite it was all over for me. After 10 years of having her ass kicked on the DH, she dropped me going down Chimney Gulch (CO front range). It was all fun and games to watch her pass *other* guys DH on her little pink bike, but I've never been so proud/pissed as the moment I looked up coming out of a corner to see her too far into the distance to even think about closing the gap. Depending on the trail I think she would be about 10 to 30% faster on the downhill (and she was pretty fast to begin with!). So, yeah, that was the last time I rode my Burner.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  6. #6
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,996
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Nice calcs. I bet it will work fine. Brian Lopes might not be satisfied, but us mere mortals would probably find it fine.

    And when it's time for some TLC preventive maintenance on the shock, Darren can probably make it just perfect.
    Well the snow melted enough here in CO that I could go out and test out the shock on some stairs and drops.

    I'm no brain Lopes, but I did notice a few things The RP3 felt a lot plusher than the swinger (which was already very plush on the Reign) it also took mid sized hits better (didn't feel like it was packing up), but it blew through all it's travel on 4 foot drops to (mild) tranny and during hard G-out at the bottom of the stairs. I think Darren’s suggestion of more mid stroke compression damping and a lower air volume should do the trick.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  7. #7
    Never mind.............
    Reputation: mtbikerjohn2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    163

    Wink Hey Steve...The Burner is done...

    Hi Steve...just wanted you to know I finished building up the Burner...Took it out last week,before the snow here..Shweet! It took a few rides to dial in the shock,but thats ok...I also found a close touch-up paint matching the Turner blue,and painted the chainstays a flat/satin black..no more scratches..I'm waiting on a wheelset from Larry @ Mtn High..after I get my wheels,I'll send you some pictures of it...Thanks again for doing the sale....Peace....John B.

  8. #8
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,996
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn2003
    Hi Steve...just wanted you to know I finished building up the Burner...Took it out last week,before the snow here..Shweet! It took a few rides to dial in the shock,but thats ok...I also found a close touch-up paint matching the Turner blue,and painted the chainstays a flat/satin black..no more scratches..I'm waiting on a wheelset from Larry @ Mtn High..after I get my wheels,I'll send you some pictures of it...Thanks again for doing the sale....Peace....John B.
    Good to hear that she's now a compete bike once again - and still on Colorado soil (or should that be rock )
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  9. #9
    Never mind.............
    Reputation: mtbikerjohn2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    163

    Wink it sure is a change from my hardtail....

    Yeah...I still want to get it re-powder coated but thats a project for this winter...I'm also thinking of replacing my Float RL with a Zoke Marathon SL...You ran a 120,didn't you,Steve? How did that work out for you?...as soon as my wheels show up,I'll post a picture....peace,Steve...Happy trails....

  10. #10
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,996
    Initially I had a Manitou Black 80/100. Then I tired a Fox Vanilla 130 and then at 120.

    I'm not exactly sure, but the Manitou felt like it had a greater axle to crown length than the Fox. For example the Black at 100mm would be like riding the Vanilla at 110.

    Each travel setting was useful for a given application, so if I were to do it again, I'd try to get a fork with adjustable travel 90-130 something like the Rock Shock Revelation, or the Fox Talas. If I had to pick one travel setting it would be 120mm, but everyone’s preference are different and you may not like it - steep climbing suffered a lot.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •