mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Shift cable questions

I posted this over on Everything Drivetrain but the Turner crew always has great answers so I thought I would post here.

I am finalizing the build of my new Gold Dust Orange Flux and need to order cables, housing & miscellaneous bits. So I hop over to www.biketoolsetc.com and there are a LOT of different types of cables. I have ruled out teflon coated cables because the coating wears off pretty quick. I will be using Jagwire 5mm Ripcord housing.

Cables
    Which of the following is best (all are 1.2mm cables):

1) Dia Compe Universal SS Mandrel-drawn
    2) Jagwire Non-drawn SS, Index
    3) Jagwire Slick SS, Index

What is the difference between drawn and non-drawn SS cable?
    What does "Index" mean related to a cable?

Ferrules
    My plan was to use the 5mm Jagwire CNC ferrules. However, the Jagwire "Cable Raincoat" ferrules look interesting. I believe these come with the Ripcord Cable Kit. Any feedback on these?

Thanks.

... I guess you won't be
    I still have a set of Gore cables on my 1993 hardtail [installed in 1994] and they still work smooth. But, that's the exception. The goretex/teflon cable sheath on other bike's I've owned other's I've worked on that all showed damage from wipe-outs and such. Any small tear lets in water, dirt, etc - negating the benefit of such cables now offered by Jagwire, Avid, etc...

I don't use that stuff anymore. I have accepted the fact that I will replace my housing and cables every season - and that's that. Occasionally, I'll drop a fresh cable in the old housings, or replace a section of housing that is uncommonly gunked up for some reason, but I've found it's of no use to spend a lot of money on something so tempermental and easily damaged, just by riding around. And, once you get used to it, you can replace all the cables/housing on your bike in under an hour [beers included]. I have lately used teflon coated aztec cables in regular housing with much success, although the teflon coating rubs off really fast....but for winter riding a squirt of chain lube down the housing really makes them super slicky - way more than with conventional drawn cables! Not sure about the non-drawn stuff - that sounds like some marketing gimick designed to differentiate their cable from the pack....maybe they mean "non-mandrel drawn" [by some arcane Taiwanese tantric cable drawing method not suitable for a family show]

Go cheap! www.aebike.com you can buy almost any color housing, 25 feet for around 21 bucks.....

Sure, others will say how they love their expensive cable systems and how they've lasted for years, but in reality - they are just plain lucky.....
    Last edited by jokermtb; 03-15-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    joker. bravo, word or whatever. dave, just go with regular goood old ss cables and lined housing. the jagwire stuff is just fine. truth is they make most of the big brand stuff for everyone else. im also a big fan of wheels manufacturing 4mm alloy ferrells as they never crimp like the plastic 4mm and brass 5mm can and do. all that expensive crap is just that if ya ask me but the reports on the avid flak jackets have been good. personally ill stick with good cheap shiftware like the jagwire, shimano or bontrager stuff.

let me know if ya want some set up tips. i have a few that are easy and offer excellent results.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Avid Flak Jackets = GOOD (not too expensive as well)

NOKONS = BAD, very bad STAY AWAY

Dry Cables look pretty nice as well, reccomended by ElC. What I will try next as I hate replacing cables (yes, Im lazy) I have never heard of this Drawn / Non-drawn / mongrel drawn cable that you speak of and think it smells of marketing BS. Sorrz to not answer any of your questions or otherwise contributre to your thread.

Cactus,
    I personally would like to hear your free set up tips and other assorted words of cable routing wisdom.

banned
    I've used Flaks. They work well, but I haven't really found the housings to last any longer than standard cheapo stuff, especially where the housing might make a tight bend. Since then, I've gone with full sealed to the RD of the cheapo stuff and use whatever cheap SS cables I can find at the time.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    Go cheap! www.aebike.com you can buy almost any color housing, 25 feet for around 11 bucks.....
    I can't find any housing for less than 21.99 there. Any direct links?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks guys! I was asking the cable question so I could purchase some bulk supplies and save some $$ instead of using one of the "cable systems" like the Flak Jacket. I have always been of the opinion that cables and housings are cheap so why not change them often.

I ended up with 25' of 5mm Jagwire housing, SS Jagwire cables, & 5mm CNC'd ferrules. I am set for at least a season of cable changin' and smoove shiftin'.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    After doing a mudfest race last year where I pulled out because my cables had frozen with mud and junk, I'm using Flak Jackets on my Flux right now to try and seal the cables a little better than standard cables/housing. So far, they've done OK. I wish that the Ride-On cables were still available. I always had good luck with them.

... I guess you won't be
    if you don't need 25 feet of housing, try LooseScrews.com

This place is amazing - pretty much any weird bike part you'd ever possibly need, and then some. And good prices too.

They sell derailleur [shimano] in 4' lengths [enough to do one bike w/ room to spare] and 12' lengths for less cash, but if you buy by per pound, you cant beat the AEBike price....

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=867207426636

banned
    what's the difference between the 4 and 5 mm types? I never figured it out. I just used whatever endcaps that would fit.

Think I might just go for this:
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=CA2401

scratch that. no online sales.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 03-15-2006 at 10:11 PM.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    its a od measurment chicken dough. i think 4mm housing was a weight question that was answered by xtr and dura ace housing back in 96 or thereabouts. it was quickly adopted by everyone else and is now the norm. nuthin wrong with 5mm housing mind you.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    FYI - Jerk Chicken

AEbike "says" they won't sell shimano online, but if you copy the part number and how many you want into the Comment's section of their order page, then you'll get what you want. Don't precisely know why they do it that way, but it's probably due to shimano requiring them to sell at a higher price or something when online...who knows....

All I know is that I have ordered stuff from them many times, including shimano stuff mixed in with my other bits, and they always get the order. Just be sure you pick correctly cuz they say they have a 15percent restocking fee.....which I only skated out of once of when I returned some roach leg pads [maybe cuz I'm a michigan resident]

It's not the easiest smoothest system, but I like the prices, and since I'm in michigan, I only have to wait two days to get my ground shipped order!

banned
    Hereis the link to the Specialized website. They're selling shifter housing for $19.99/98 feet (30 meters).

Great deal. I just bought the Shimano housing via phone in, but I will buy this housing to keep on hand.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Hereis the link to the Specialized website. They're selling shifter housing for $19.99/98 feet (30 meters).
    The Turner snob in me says to never use items spec'd on a Hardrock on a Turner. If I wanted a single speed with the added bonus of non-functioning gears, then I'd buy it.