Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

From the Shed to the Spotlight

So I did my 5th ride on the spot yesterday. The weather was fantastic, the sun was shining, and I am on vacation. I decided to test my new ride against the hardest trail I know, and took some pictures when I needed to catch my breath.

Just so you know this is the second installment of the "Shed" series, the first being my initiation into homerdome and the Turner world. These are the first pics of the bike completely built and in the wild.

These are my observations concerning my first week of Turner ownership:
    1. I'm really in debt, even having bought everything second hand.
    2. The bike climbs better then anything I have ever ridden. I got up things I have never gotten up before.
    3. People have commented positively on my bike EVERY ride I have done. Even being poofta. Everyone askes how it rides. I had to blush once because someone asked if I was on a team. I said I was on the fat boy team.
    4. It feels like an easy chair riding down the hill. Feels sturdy, feels like I am more in control. I feel like I am not going as fast (even though my computer says I am) because I have the tires on the ground more. I feel safer and more confident.
    5. I love it.

So.......as a newbie to both mountain biking and the whole internet forum, I have been following the threads on censorship and self-regulation with interest. As a high school educator I have certainly seen my share of juvinile behavior and I use MTBR and the Turner forum as an escape from this. But, because of my experiences, I also know that there will be people that seek to ruin a good thing simply for the power it gives them. This behavior is always a mystery to me and it is always hard to ignore.

What I find is that often the work of the few and negative can influence the work of the many and well-meaning. It is easy to loose track of the things that are good about something when this happens. For me mountain biking has changed my life. I started two years ago on a whim. Since then I have given up every other hobby, sold all my unneccesary material objects, and (like sex) spend more time thinking about biking then actually riding. I do try to ride a lot though.

there are a few reasons for this obsession. The first is that I lost 25lbs the first summer of riding without even trying to lose wieght. I just wanted to get better, and through that tried to get stronger, and lost weight. The second reason was the friends that I have made. As a rule, i have met some fantastic people on the trail. MTB'rs are the most friendly, easygoing bunch out there. On almost every ride I have struck up meaninful conversations with random strangers. One guy even let me borrow his bike for three months while I got my new frame! Thankfully he is now one of my good friends. The third reason I love MTB'ing is the bikes. They rock. I love the endless configurations and conversations about what is better.

To summarize this rant, I want to thank the people that have made this forum such an entertainging, insightful, and educational medium. I know it is hard to put yourself out there for the public to judge and to fire shots at. I have read some great stuff here, and I know that takes work. I hope to get to meet some of these people personally some day. Keep it up and remember that there are people out there that are still learning, still loving the ride, still stoked, still passionate. Try not to lose sight of that!

BTW, what is the deal you all have with red bikes? I have to be honest, I really like my new bike and I am going to try and make it as red as possible. Being new to the scene I find that I am having to defend my asthetic preference without understanding the prejudice behind it. Please fill me in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tryin' to keep the tires on the ground.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Cool pix man, that looks like stellar riding terrain. Colorado?

trail fairy
    mtbjc280 welcome dude, enjoyed your review and cool pix Im looking for a mtn lion hiding behind one of those rocks somewhere, awesome scenery
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

KDK
    mtbr member
    Wellcome !! fantastic post which has struck a chord with my passion for biking (especially that sex part !!).

One warning - this passion will get worse !!

Enjoy and ride on !

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    good to have ya with us. j to the d has told me of the whole deal from the beginnin and its cool that its finally taken shape. good words up there too.

the whole red poofta thing is not much more than 1 of the thousands of little inside jokes around this joint. get red! its no problem.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Cool pix man, that looks like stellar riding terrain. Colorado?

Hall Ranch, Lyons Colorado. Lyons just beat my old hometown football team. Ended their 50+ straight win streak. Jerks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    mtbjc280 welcome dude, enjoyed your review and cool pix Im looking for a mtn lion hiding behind one of those rocks somewhere, awesome scenery

When I got to the top of the front side there was a guy from the Peoples Republic that said he saw a mountain lion earlier in the month. I have seen rabbits, prarie dogs, deer, and wild turkeys. Never a mountain lion. Then his wife called and made him come home. I felt bad for him.

To summarize: apparantly they are up there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    good to have ya with us. j to the d has told me of the whole deal from the beginnin and its cool that its finally taken shape. good words up there too.

Did old Nearsighted tell you he has to have his thumb tendon re-attached from a crash a couple weeks ago? He also is going to have the pins taken out of his hip from his crash last year. He has had some bad luck with gravity. I think his new name should be Dr. Death.

mtbr member
    So here is a question for the masses:

For the first time on Saturday I bottomed out my front fork. I hopped off a water hump and TWACK the front end compressed all the way and hit. It is an 04 Marzocchi Bomber. I guess this wouldn't concern me except that this has never happened before. I run it with very little air (7-15lbs) because it rides so well there. Is this normal? Have I just never gotten high enough for this to happen before? I'm going to start by putting in more air, but I'm worried that it is wearing out? Don't want to lose any teeth.....

Wicketed
    maybe it is because you are hitting things harder / faster / bigger with the new spot? i don't know much about suspension, but even for a marz your pressure seem a bit low. that said, if you're only bottoming out once ride, then maybe they are just right.

by the way, red bikes go faster.
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swan lee

Poofta Pride! Poofta Pride! Poofta Pride!......wait, it's not what you think.....I just like red.

Roy
    mtbr member
    You need to increase the oil levels. Try a little at a time until you stop bottoming.

so i just got this nice letter from dr death. seems ironic that he has a eye problem. he just cant see not hittin the ground all the damn time. poor kid. hopefully hell be a-ok by the time the pack is done.

as far as yer fork goes, whens the last time ya had it rebuilt? more than a season? if so, there ya go. and like swan said, yer into new territory here so its time to tune it anyway. hello, larry? time ya got to know him well anyway.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Time is not a road.
    What kind of Bomber? Marathon? Either way, change the oil and maybe add a bit to the level. You can increase the preload, but this may make the initial compression a bit harsh. You might check the actual pressure, though just to be sure where it's set right now.

Time is not a road.
    What kind of Bomber? Marathon? Either way, change the oil and maybe add a bit to the level. You can increase the preload, but this may make the initial compression a bit harsh. You might check the actual pressure, though just to be sure where it's set right now.

Hall Ranch has some good drop points and the faster you ride it, the more likely you're going to use a lot of travel up front.
    Last edited by chad1433; 11-20-2006 at 08:14 AM.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Nice bike man, red is always a cool color in my book, some folks pull it off better than others though Enjoy!

Lay off the Levers
    Nice writeup!

Many of the inside jokes originate from flamebait. Once some guy ranted about Turners and the forum and said something about the colors and essentially said the red bikes in particular were gay.(what-EVER )

In our typical humorous fashion we had a good laugh at the ranter's expense and adopted Red bikes as Poofta RED.

My Spot is red, and if I repaint or replace it, it's going to be even more red.

As for the negative behavior...Growing a tree takes far more time and effort, than cutting it down. But a person can get substantial instant gratification from a chainsaw.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433

Hall Ranch has some good drop points and the fast you ride it, the more likely you're going to use a lot of travel up front.

What is more important in this case? Oil or air? It is an 04 bomber/marathon S. I ride the loop fast but am still learning on the front side so I don't do any crazy hucking. S-works sold it to me with fresh oil and I have put a season on it. what is the lifespan of an oil change? What is involved in rebuilding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjc280
    BTW, what is the deal you all have with red bikes? Please fill me in.
    [SIZE=4]Jealousy and sexual insecurity. Red 'Spot owners suffer from neither. Welcome to the fold (and great scenery in your pix).[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    [SIZE=4]Jealousy and sexual insecurity. Red 'Spot owners suffer from neither. Welcome to the fold (and great scenery in your pix).[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    Not to bad of a view in your pic either. Where is it? What fork are you running?

Team Blindspot

Bingo!!

Quote Originally Posted by swan lee
    maybe it is because you are hitting things harder / faster / bigger with the new spot? i don't know much about suspension, but even for a marz your pressure seem a bit low. that said, if you're only bottoming out once ride, then maybe they are just right.

MTBjc is riding an 04 Marathon S 120. It had maybe 20 hours for ride time when I sold it to him, and I doubt it needs to be rebuilt yet, oil change : Yes

Didn't I mention Oil levels to you a few days ago!! I put Silkolene in it, and I think I still have it at home.

Maybe you need a Pike for that new ride. I know someone with an extra one.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Team Blindspot
    so i just got this nice letter from dr death. seems ironic that he has a eye problem. he just cant see not hittin the ground all the damn time. poor kid. hopefully hell be a-ok by the time the pack is done.

as far as yer fork goes, whens the last time ya had it rebuilt? more than a season? if so, there ya go. and like swan said, yer into new territory here so its time to tune it anyway. hello, larry? time ya got to know him well anyway.

Yeah, I forgot my glasses that day, as well as any ability to look for the right line.

I forgot to mention, every time I ride with MTBjc, I seem to crash. What's up with that!!
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works

Didn't I mention Oil levels to you a few days ago!! I put Silkolene in it, and I think I still have it at home.
    I was told to always get a second opionion from my Dr.'s.

looks to me like a pike u-turn in its natural colorado river habitat. what a co-inky-dink! thats exactly the kinda fork ya need on a spot! and whats this? s-works has one for sale? what are the odds?! hehe. now go buy it before yer marathon gives ya daw-itis.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    now go buy it before yer marathon gives ya daw-itis.
    Daw-itis? I think there is a topical cream that clears that up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast