mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Shark in the Water!

Well ok not quite, it's actually "pike on the floor" but it didn't sound as good. After taking the recommendations from this forum, I bought a 454 Air U-turn. None of that jey pop loc nonsense tho. Fork is a "good" weight, very burly, nicely made and appears to resemble my revelations after they'd been on a body building course. Stickers are crap but who cares.

Odd: Pics didn't display: Pike

I had this wheel built by my LBS. It's the new Hope PRO II hub which can run QR or 20mm. It's impressively light and although I was initially going to go for a stronger rim, the LBS told me that the 717 is fine even for my cack handed riding.

Wheel

I shall be wielding spanners later. It's replacing a set of vanilla 130rs so it should be an interesting comparison.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-Leigh
    Well ok not quite, it's actually "pike on the floor" but it didn't sound as good. After taking the recommendations from this forum, I bought a 454 Air U-turn. None of that jey pop loc nonsense tho. Fork is a "good" weight, very burly, nicely made and appears to resemble my revelations after they'd been on a body building course. Stickers are crap but who cares.

Odd: Pics didn't display: Pike

I had this wheel built by my LBS. It's the new Hope PRO II hub which can run QR or 20mm. It's impressively light and although I was initially going to go for a stronger rim, the LBS told me that the 717 is fine even for my cack handed riding.

Wheel

I shall be wielding spanners later. It's replacing a set of vanilla 130rs so it should be an interesting comparison.
    Nice. I'm running the same fork and hub. The convertible QR to 20mm is really a great idea and it spins forever. I only wish Hope's rear hub worked as well as the front.

not so super...
    Those should be nice together. The Hope hubs do work well.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Took the spot out today. Left my Camera as in the UK it's officially still winter and fecking freezing. Then the sun came out. Always the way. Anyway at 175lbs. I'm running a little less than RS recommends at 125+ and 125-. Floodgate is 2 turns off min and I do use it for climbing. (Just for info, Pushed RP3 runs at 150 and it's superb at that).

The fork inspires confidence. I dropped it to 110 for the climb to the trailhead and it makes the 5spot fairly lively! Pushed it back to 125 for the remainder of the ride and didn't change it. Really wanted to push it out to try the 140 but LBS built the bike with a short brake hose and it's really stretched at that. I feel the call of the goodridge replacement.

Riding lots of rooty singletrack it's a super stiff fork. Noticably stiffer than the Vanilla 130R it replaced. I'm rubbish at this comparative stuff but my friend rode it (and he's ridden it before, we swapped and I rode his SX trail, great bike but heavy..) and he noticed to.

We rode lots of the same trails we've done before and both in terms of deflection (i.e. none! through the maxle) and big hit capability (4 foot to flat, first time I've tried that on the 5spot) it was fantastic. Small bump hard to say if it's better than the vanilla.

But for overall riding, a definate improvement. Not sure how much I'll use the U-Turn but would be interested to know if anyone has run the pike out at 140mm. Does it turn the 5 spot into a chopper?

Final point was when I compared the A-C height of the vanilla to the pike at 130mm, the vanilla was actually slightly longer...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hi Alex,
    I run the same FE on my bike and at 140 it does tend to wander a bit on the really technical climbs but its real fun on the way down good stuff. I do love the accuracy of the steering compaired to some Floats and I'm happy so far with the 454's.

Does it make me a better rider? Does it hell as like!

Lay off the Levers
    Save a click, here's the pic.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 03-27-2006 at 11:50 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.