Nicole? Papa?

Setting up my RP23 on my 5 Spot

Hi guys,

After an issue with my forks, my new Spot is all but ready to go. (Will get some pics up when the bloody rain stops - Scotland )

Anyway, most of you will know I'm not that technically able so I'm after a bit of help setting up my RP23.

I've read the set up guide on the Fox website and I know that my sag should be around 20-30% but I'm a little concerned with the pressures I'm putting into it.

I'm about 190lbs butt naked and it seems that I'm having to put about 210psi into the shock in order to get about 25% sag. Does this sound about right?

The Turner website says the sag on the Spot should be set to 17mm - (TBH, I'm not sure how that measurement is determined) - but all I've done is to sit on it and try to ensure the O-ring is about one third of the way done the stroke shaft.

Not sure if I'm doing things right here?

Bite Me.
    That pressure is too high - should be about 75% to 85% of your body weight to get in the ball park. Try deflating it completely then repressurizing it. Use the o-ring to eyeball the intial sag setting then go ride it. You will need to add or remove air in 5PSI increments to get it dialed in the way you want it.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Silence and Thunder...
    *what Cutty said, plus...

Max rated pressure is 300 psi. And I would think that "a third of the way down..." (33%) would be too soft n saggy...
    It can be really hard to get an accurate sag measurement by yourself. Get help if you can.
    If you can't, just start riding and experimenting until it feels right...could take a few rides on different trails to get it just right.
    If you end up w/ much over 220 psi, I think you might have a bad shock...
    *220 should feel quite tight at your weight...

Also, I think you're supposed to set sag w/ the propedal 'off'...??
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member

You need a "Sagometer"

I would say body weight + 10psi tops

I would suggest an assistant to help with the sag?
    Stay off the brakes

Nicole? Papa?
    When you guys say, 75-85% of your body weight, do you mean it should be 75-85% of 190lbs (if that's my weight) in PSI? E.g. 75-85% of 190PSI?

Silence and Thunder...
    Start @ your fully loaded, camelback full, riding weight in psi (say 200# RTR ((ready-to-ride)) would equal 200 psi).

Then add / subtract at 5 psi intervals until satisfied.

Also- do all this with the same pump! Most will read differently. And it will always read 'lower' everytime you re-attach it...doesn't mean you have a leak.
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    When I went from 5.3 to 5.5 rockers and an RP3 to a high volume RP23 I ended up needing to put more air in - I now go with my fully loaded ready to ride body weight in there. I would say you need approx 30% sag and approx 200 psi - your pump gague could be slightly out so I don't think you are miles off. I wouldn't worry about the pressure as much as getting the sag and rebound right.