mtbr member

New question here. Servicing Dt 240's - help me out

After a year and a half of my wheels built by Dave at SpeedDream, I want to repack the grease in the hubs of my DT 240's.

For the uninitiated, how to I do that?

Remember, speak slowly and simply to this child.

banned
    Clean the hell out of the outside. You don't want grit in there because then it takes 4x the time to clean it.

Once that's done, get rubber cleaning gloves of something for grip. Sit in a chair, put feet lightly on wheel, and pull freehub off. It will pop off, so be careful. Note spring orientation between the ratchets, clean all parts, grease the ramped face and the circumferal splines. Do the same for that area inside the hubshell and freehub. The inside bearings should be clean, so just carefully pop off the seals and add grease. Before this, clean everything out, of course, and open the shields on the outermost bearings and inspect. You can clean them out, then regrease and pack as much as you can with no void.

Close them, smear a small, very thin film on the faces of the seals to protect them and make a hydrophobic layer.

Put all together, remembering the orientation of the spring. Use a skewer to clamp it all together, or put it in your dropouts and clamp together.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I assume this is for your rear hub? like Jerk_chicken mentioned, first clean your wheel.

then do this. it's 5-10 minute procedure that doesn't require any special tools.

1. Take the q/r skewer off.
    2. Remove the drive side axle end cap. Either simply pull on the cassette (leave the cassette on the free-hub body), or push this end cap off from the other side through the hub, (an old skewer with a slight bends on the end works well for this method - just pop it off by hitting the inner shoulder of the end cap).
    3. The f/h body should slide off the axle (with cassette still mounted).
    4. Two drive ratchets and two springs will be exposed. Take out ratchets and springs and clean off old grease.
    5. Clean out hub where ratchets and springs were (wipe and scrap only, no solvent here due to proximity to bearings).
    6. Re-grease ratchets with light synthetic grease - just a light coat so the ratchets look like little glazed donuts.
    7. Reassemble.

no go ride!

banned
    This reminds me to do my gf's 240s. It's been a while. Gotta clean road salt off her bike in the bathtub anyhow.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    I assume this is for your rear hub? like Jerk_chicken mentioned, first clean your wheel.

then do this. it's 5-10 minute procedure that doesn't require any special tools.

1. Take the q/r skewer off.
    2. Remove the drive side axle end cap. Either simply pull on the cassette (leave the cassette on the free-hub body), or push this end cap off from the other side through the hub, (an old skewer with a slight bends on the end works well for this method - just pop it off by hitting the inner shoulder of the end cap).
    3. The f/h body should slide off the axle (with cassette still mounted).
    4. Two drive ratchets and two springs will be exposed. Take out ratchets and springs and clean off old grease.
    5. Clean out hub where ratchets and springs were (wipe and scrap only, no solvent here due to proximity to bearings).
    6. Re-grease ratchets with light synthetic grease - [SIZE="7"]just a light coat[/SIZE] so the ratchets look like little glazed donuts.
    7. Reassemble.

no go ride!

Can't emphasize this enough. If you use too much grease, the freehub will not engage.

The hub should be nice and quiet after service. It's an easy job to do, I do it when the hub starts to get louder.

Also, leave the cassette attached and yank on that, it will pop off and the end cap will go flying. I don't know how you would just get the endcap off.
    Last edited by S-Works; 01-15-2009 at 07:39 AM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    JC and Acadian: Great mini-guide! Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The first time I "popped" the end cap off my rear 240 it took an incredible amount of effort. I used the special DT tool to grab the end cap and a vise. I honestly thought I was going to break somthing, either in the wheel or my hand, because I was hitting it so hard (as per the DT instructions). And, when it did finally pop off, springs and stuff went flying everywhere.

After that first time it has come apart with a lot less, you could even say reasonable, effort.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Stradissimo
    The first time I "popped" the end cap off my rear 240 it took an incredible amount of effort. I used the special DT tool to grab the end cap and a vise. I honestly thought I was going to break somthing, either in the wheel or my hand, because I was hitting it so hard (as per the DT instructions). And, when it did finally pop off, springs and stuff went flying everywhere.

After that first time it has come apart with a lot less, you could even say reasonable, effort.
    I would agree with this. So much effort, you wonder if it's right to just pull it off. But it does come off alot easier after the first time. Plus, you know what to expect as far as flying parts. So you "clear the field" so to speak. There's only four of them, so it's not too tough.

Wish I knew about the tool to remove it, but it really is not necessary.

PS: I called DT Swiss in Grand Jct to inquire about what grease to use, they sent me some, no charge. Customer support has been good with DT.
    Astigmatic Visionary

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    I called DT Swiss in Grand Jct to inquire about what grease to use, they sent me some, no charge. Customer support has been good with DT.
    I have to second that...DT's customer service is awesome! I've been using their rims, hubs and wheelset for a few years not and every single time I've had questions or issues, they've been on it!

two tumbs up for me...

banned
    DT is great to deal with. Great company, great products and they are keeping the quality up. Perhaps one day they'll offer a revision of the Star Ratchets with more POE's and simple drop-in capability with older hubs. I see no reason why not, other than perhaps patents.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Sit in a chair, put feet lightly on wheel, and pull freehub off. It will pop off
    That sounds a lot easier than it was for me, it did come off though (with quite a bit of force).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    That sounds a lot easier than it was for me, it did come off though (with quite a bit of force).
    If Fo was the OP, I would have told him to put brass knucks on and pull as hard as he can.