Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bald and crap since 1973.

Bonking ... not feelin' well Sell me a Burner (or Flux! Please!?)

Here’s my deal: I had a Burner I bought from a buddy of mine. It was beautiful and black, with a Marathon XC fork, SRAM drivetrain, Hope Minis, the whole nine yards.

I loved it to death.

And death’s what happened, since it flew off my @#$@ rack at 60mph, and was promptly eaten by a semi. (Thank Christ it didn’t cause a major accident, but I got to kiss $2,500 worth of tasty gear goodbye.)

I have since bought an Ellsworth frame, and stripped the parts off my hardtail to build it up. But it’s a pile of poo compared to my Burner. I still wake up at nights screaming her name. Why did I get an Ellsworth frame, of all things? Glad you asked...

Alas, I am but a starving artist. My insurance didn't cover the accident, since it was caused by faulty third party parts (my roof rack, not the car itself). So I called Thule, but they wouldn't do anything, since the rack was bought used. So in addition to losing the bike, I got to pay over $2,000 to cover the damage to the truck that savaged it. Plus the cost of a NEW roof rack, levelled my bank account, and left me with nowhere near the funds to scoop a new Flux. (There's a lesson here - don't get liability only insurance, and don't buy used roof racks!!) AND I'm getting engaged soon. AND I'm supposed to be saving to move to the Bay Area...

So I called Supergo, knowing that they had Burner frames that they were offloading for $850. Nada. I shot Turner an email, spoke to Casey, asking if there were any Burners left over – he found the one remaining small on Earth, from Velo Bum in CA for $900, but by the time I got back from vacation, it had already gone. (At this point I have to say that Casey is a damned good guy - went out of his way to help me out. And Jarett too - emailled him to see if there was any status update today, and got an immediate helpful reply. Something I do NOT get from Ellsworth but that's a whole other thread on another board.. )

Speaking of vacation, while I was out there in Marin last month, I rode the Flux and the Five Spot. Never thought I'd find anything better than the Burner. (Certainly leaned towards the Flux and Burner... I'm a puss. I measure my drops in inches, not feet.)

Look lads, I miss my Turner. Very much. I want that Flux. Or a Burner. But I just don't have that $1,800 to spend thanks to the insurance debacle. So if anyone out there. Anyone. Has a *small* used Burner or Flux frame that they'd like to sell, PLEASE let me know. I'm BEGGING you!

Dave, if you're reading this, help!!!! But any assistance from anyone on here with info on a discount, a used rig, or just in throwing a bro a bone is hugely appreciated. I miss being part of the Turner family.

Ride on.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    truly a sad story and a good tale of lessons learned. wish i could help but all i can offer is my sympathy. keep the smile pal. good things will come soon enough.
    No, I'm NOT back!

I think I need to Upgrade

I might be able to help

When I get to work in the AM I will check around and see if I can find a Burner somewhere for you. PM me your phone number and as soon as I get a chance to look I will call you and let you know what if anything I find.

Cactus - thanks man, appreciate the sentiments. It sucks giant monkey balls, but on the flip side, nobody was hurt, I wasn't sued, I'm okay, my car was only slightly scratched, and in other news I have a job, a roof over my head, and a kickass girlfriend who immediately bought me said Ellsworth as an "anniversary gift". All in all, life's not that bad (especially compared to those poor sods in New Orleans, for example...)

AzSpeed - done deal, I PM'd you. Hope ya find something!

not so super...
    Have you called the actual Supergo stores and not the catalog/web sales contact? Might be worth a try.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 10-12-2005 at 07:56 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by gedmunds
    And death’s what happened, since it flew off my @#$@ rack at 60mph, and was promptly eaten by a semi. (Thank Christ it didn’t cause a major accident, but I got to kiss $2,500 worth of tasty gear goodbye.)
    I'm gonna have nightmares about this. Seeing as how i have a burner and a thule roof rack and all...

care to elaborate on the thule failure?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Here’s my deal: I had a Burner I bought from a buddy of mine. It was beautiful and black, with a Marathon XC fork, SRAM drivetrain, Hope Minis, the whole nine yards.

I loved it to death.

I have since bought an Ellsworth frame, and stripped the parts off my hardtail to build it up. But it’s a pile of poo compared to my Burner. I still wake up at nights screaming her name. Why did I get an Ellsworth frame, of all things? Glad you asked...

Alas, I am but a starving artist. My insurance didn't cover the accident, since it was caused by faulty third party parts (my roof rack, not the car itself). So I called Thule, but they wouldn't do anything, since the rack was bought used. So in addition to losing the bike, I got to pay over $2,000 to cover the damage to the truck that savaged it. Plus the cost of a NEW roof rack, levelled my bank account, and left me with nowhere near the funds to scoop a new Flux. (There's a lesson here - don't get liability only insurance, and don't buy used roof racks!!) AND I'm getting engaged soon. AND I'm supposed to be saving to move to the Bay Area...

So I called Supergo, knowing that they had Burner frames that they were offloading for $850. Nada. I shot Turner an email, spoke to Casey, asking if there were any Burners left over – he found the one remaining small on Earth, from Velo Bum in CA for $900, but by the time I got back from vacation, it had already gone. (At this point I have to say that Casey is a damned good guy - went out of his way to help me out. And Jarett too - emailled him to see if there was any status update today, and got an immediate helpful reply. Something I do NOT get from Ellsworth but that's a whole other thread on another board.. )

Speaking of vacation, while I was out there in Marin last month, I rode the Flux and the Five Spot. Never thought I'd find anything better than the Burner. (Certainly leaned towards the Flux and Burner... I'm a puss. I measure my drops in inches, not feet.)

Look lads, I miss my Turner. Very much. I want that Flux. Or a Burner. But I just don't have that $1,800 to spend thanks to the insurance debacle. So if anyone out there. Anyone. Has a *small* used Burner or Flux frame that they'd like to sell, PLEASE let me know. I'm BEGGING you!

Dave, if you're reading this, help!!!! But any assistance from anyone on here with info on a discount, a used rig, or just in throwing a bro a bone is hugely appreciated. I miss being part of the Turner family.

Ride on.
    Doesn't Turner offer $600 off of a new frame when you trade in the old one? (if you still have it). Might be worth a look. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That sucks! Ive had a few bad dreams about my Flux hopping off my rack on the interstate. Scary stuff.

You might check out Ebay. HERE

They occasionally have small frames that come through, and it seems like the demand for small frames is not too big.

Good luck

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Al.
    I'm gonna have nightmares about this. Seeing as how i have a burner and a thule roof rack and all...

care to elaborate on the thule failure?
    Here it is?

Just in case, It's worth $600 toward a new bike according to Turner's site.

Quote Originally Posted by esenkay
    Doesn't Turner offer $600 off of a new frame when you trade in the old one? (if you still have it). Might be worth a look. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
    Ahh, there was a major brain fart on my part. (Hey, that rhymes!). I bought the frame, as I said, used, so I didn't think that applied to me and I never got the old frame off the road - it was in the middle of an interstate and pretty mangled, and the VDOT folks came and took it away. Of course, after the fact I realized I could have done it - and with the money saved on that frame, as well as the Ellsworth my girl got me, I could have probably swung the Flux.

Quote Originally Posted by Al.
    I'm gonna have nightmares about this. Seeing as how i have a burner and a thule roof rack and all... care to elaborate on the thule failure?
    I had the big mouth bike tray - the 599. The pull handle on the spring that keeps the jaws clamped popped open - as far as I can tell, I heard a creak, which was the sound of the bike leaning to it's right, over the passenger side. At that point, the front tiedown came loose, because soon as I heard the odd creak, I looked up through the moonroof, and saw the bike doing a wheelie for about a second before the rear tiedown gave way and it flew off backwards. When I'd gotten out of the car, I examined the jaws of the clamp, and the plastic notches on the inside of the handle had been worn down badly to the point where they had issues keeping the clamp in place. Pretty freakish and catastrophic failure all round, and I now hate Thule because of it. My new tray's a Yakima.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    That sucks! Ive had a few bad dreams about my Flux hopping off my rack on the interstate. Scary stuff. You might check out Ebay. They occasionally have small frames that come through, and it seems like the demand for small frames is not too big.
    Good luck
    Actually - they had a small black Burner frame that would have been a direct replacement for my old one on there last week. Bid on it, but someone beat me to the punch with 10 seconds left in the auction, apparantly. Friggin' thing went for $700. Most upset about it...

And nope - that famed pic of the Burner isn't mine. I never got the chance to assemble the "crime scene" like that - since I never got the frame off the road, VDOT did that. But I would have imagined it looked similar to that...

Rolling
    And nope - that famed pic of the Burner isn't mine. I never got the chance to assemble the "crime scene" like that - since I never got the frame off the road, VDOT did that. But I would have imagined it looked similar to that...
    Well duh. I got it off Turner's site. Too bad you didn't get the parts since it would be worth $600 to some who could apply it to a 5-spot or six pack or something.

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Well duh. I got it off Turner's site. Too bad you didn't get the parts since it would be worth $600 to some who could apply it to a 5-spot or six pack or something.
    Yup - heck, like I said, if I didn't completely brain fart, *I* could have used it - that would have made the Flux $1200 to me, and with the cash my girl shelled out for the Ellsworth ISIS she got me ($500) I could have swung the extra $700 myself. But hindsight's always 20/20...

In Other News...

See, this is what makes Turner great - it's not just that they're the best rigs out there - it's the fact that the Turner community as a whole is awesome. You guys with your sympathies, Casey and Jarrett at Turner themselves, who have each done legwork trying to track me down a replacement... Get that from Ellsworth? Oh hell no...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    OMG, that pic is like seeing a dead relative.........

Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    OMG, that pic is like seeing a dead relative.........
    Imagine seeing that relative fly off the roof of your car, and once you get to the side of the road, see "the body" mangled in the middle of the road!

mtbr member

I can help

If you haven't found a Flux, shoot me an email. I may be able to help:
    clint@gwrobinson.com

mtbr member
    I looked up through the moonroof, and saw the bike doing a wheelie for about a second before the rear tiedown gave way and it flew off backwards.
    Hey, when your time comes you may as well go out with glory. Bravo Burner!
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

who wants to bet that the VDOT guy has a new turner and saved $600! hope yer on his xmass card list. the least he could do is buy ya a beer. might be worth trackin him down. if it didnt happen too long ago, it might still be in the shop serving as a show and tell piece. ya never know pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

jrm
    mtbr member

Try calling ALL the supergo stores..

As of about a month ago the FV store had a medium frame in red..

jrm
    mtbr member

Thats coooollll..

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Here it is?

Just in case, It's worth $600 toward a new bike according to Turner's site.
    damn...

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    As of about a month ago the FV store had a medium frame in red..
    Doubt a medium would do the job - I'm just 5'6 and favour a shorter cockpit (and I have short stubby legs, hahaha)

Thank You Supergo!

Big, mad, crazy ups to Brian at the Arizona Supergo, who tracked down (drumroll please) a small black Burner at the Ventura store, at a kickass price no less! Alas, they can't take credit cards over the phone, but my check is winging it's way to Jeff in Ventura as we speak, via Express Mail, and with any luck, I'll be Burned again in a week or two. Look for build photos coming soon!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, but most of all to Brian. Thanks, man. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Big, mad, crazy ups to Brian at the Arizona Supergo, who tracked down (drumroll please) a small black Burner at the Ventura store, at a kickass price no less! Alas, they can't take credit cards over the phone, but my check is winging it's way to Jeff in Ventura as we speak, via Express Mail, and with any luck, I'll be Burned again in a week or two. Look for build photos coming soon!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, but most of all to Brian. Thanks, man. Thanks.
    I'm glad for you.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Yup, glad for me too!

Supergo's remaining Turners are on serious sale. They've got 5-Spots for $1,499, and the remaining Burners are $799.

Hey no problem, it was my pleasure . I am glad that I was in a position to be able to help someone in your situation. There is nothing like helping someone and having them appreciate what you have done for them. SuperGo may not be an actual Turner Dealer anymore ( I realy wish we were) but that won't stop me from trying to help people get on/back on one of the best riding and backed frames on the market.

Glad you were able to help too!!! If only I could get a tracking number from the store!

But what's this I just read about Supergo getting eaten by Performance bike?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bye bye superho

Glad you were able to help too!!! If only I could get a tracking number from the store!

But what's this I just read about Supergo getting eaten by Performance bike?!
    supergo stores are becoming permformance. i got the following info from conversations with supergo employees that work on the floor........ performance bought supergo at least two years ago, but the two operated as separate companies. now all that is changing. adios supergo stores; however, the supergo website will continue. performance will also retain the scattante in house brand of road bikes.

not all manufacturers are in love with performance. when performance first bought them out king stopped supplying supergo. now that the supergo stores are being taken over by performance, specialized has stopped supplying the company.

i personally think performance sucks and is the wal mart of them biking industry. i say follow chris king's lead and boycott their asses!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog
    i personally think performance sucks and is the wal mart of them biking industry. i say follow chris king's lead and boycott their asses!
    Performance has its uses. They price match and have a great selection of clothing. It makes it much easier to pick up accessories and clothing at good prices than having to deal with the pathetic LBS shops around here that feel that MSRP + 10% is a good price for clothing. Tell me what other shop would have matched $40 for the Bell X-Ray I bought last month, much less let me return a pair of shorts that fall apart after 6 months.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

supergo stores are becoming permformance. i got the following info from conversations with supergo employees that work on the floor........ performance bought supergo at least two years ago, but the two operated as separate companies. now all that is changing. adios supergo stores; however, the supergo website will continue. performance will also retain the scattante in house brand of road bikes.

not all manufacturers are in love with performance. when performance first bought them out king stopped supplying supergo. now that the supergo stores are being taken over by performance, specialized has stopped supplying the company.

Well I hate to burst your bubble but SuperGo/Performance droped Specialized because of many of Specialized business practices for example we had to sell Specialized bikes at exactly what Specialized told us to. If we sold a Specialized bike for less that what they specified then we would get in trouble with them. They also wanted to control many other things and the company was tired of having to jump through so many hoops for them especialy when we were their biggest customer and have done much much more for them than most people know about.

As far as Chris King goes SuperGo was droped as a dealer before it was bought by Performance not because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Well I hate to burst your bubble but SuperGo/Performance droped Specialized because of many of Specialized business practices.....
    in freaks defence, specialized has a long history of bein a pain to deal with at times. lots of nutty rules to follow and not all good for their dealers biz or its custys satisfaction. read into it what you may. and brian, say hi to "Big Al" for me. tell him its tom from bike masters. hes a quality guy isnt he?

ps: gonna be in town on the 28th. wanna ride with us?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    in freaks defence, specialized has a long history of bein a pain to deal with at times. lots of nutty rules to follow and not all good for their dealers biz or its custys satisfaction. read into it what you may. and brian, say hi to "Big Al" for me. tell him its tom from bike masters. hes a quality guy isnt he?

ps: gonna be in town on the 28th. wanna ride with us?

OK FIRST OF ALL IT IS 2 "E"'S IN FREEK NOT 1 FOLLOWED BY AND "A"

Are you only going to be in town on the 28th? I have to work that whole weekend I would be able to ride on Monday the 31st if you are still going to be in town.

my bad mr freek. you have mail. back to the original forum content. sorry ged.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Well I hate to burst your bubble but SuperGo/Performance droped Specialized because of many of Specialized business practices for example we had to sell Specialized bikes at exactly what Specialized told us to. If we sold a Specialized bike for less that what they specified then we would get in trouble with them. They also wanted to control many other things and the company was tired of having to jump through so many hoops for them especialy when we were their biggest customer and have done much much more for them than most people know about.

As far as Chris King goes SuperGo was droped as a dealer before it was bought by Performance not because of it.
    thanks for the info & clarification on specifics.

it seems that specialized really wants to control its product, however in this case it seems like it may hurt them.

i still think performance is based on a wal mart type model and can drive a small local bike shop out of business. so i won't be shopping there even though a lot of the local employees are cool people.

thanks for the info & clarification on specifics.

it seems that specialized really wants to control its product, however in this case it seems like it may hurt them.

i still think performance is based on a wal mart type model and can drive a small local bike shop out of business. so i won't be shopping there even though a lot of the local employees are cool people.

Most all of us are quite sure that this is going to hurt Specialized but I guess that that is the way the ball bounces. I still think that they make a great product, and if someone can't afford a Turner then they are the next best option.

Hey! The lot of ye! Stop hijacking my thread!!!

In happier news, the Burner will be here on Friday. In even happier news, I just got a bonus that covered the cost of the Burner, with a little left over. Hooray for me! So I dropped the cash on a Reba U-Turn from Beyond. Of course, it still hasn't shipped yet, and there's no status on it. But it's allllllll good. I waited this long, another couple of days won't hurt.

In happier news, the Burner will be here on Friday. In even happier news, I just got a bonus that covered the cost of the Burner, with a little left over. Hooray for me! So I dropped the cash on a Reba U-Turn from Beyond. Of course, it still hasn't shipped yet, and there's no status on it. But it's allllllll good. I waited this long, another couple of days won't hurt.

HeIIs yea, good to hear that things are progressing in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yah, sorry!

Hey, congrats on the new ride! i think i waited 4 months before i put a foot on the pedal of my spot, but it was worth every second. Happy riding on your buner, i'm sure she'll be sweet with that reba.

I'm ba-aaaack!!!

Thanks to the legwork of Brian, the joys of a credit card, and a spot of patience, I'm back from temporary exile from "the state of Ellsworthia" (had all my shots, thankfully!) and am a homer once more. Guess what the FedEx man just showed up with? (Excuse the rug, it's my girlfriend's, not mine!)

The build begins this weekend - only thing that's going to hold me up is Beyond Bikes who STILL HAVEN'T SHIPPED OUT MY REBA, despite me ordering it 7 days ago...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Work Shed...

Wow

that's going to friggin nice! Now I need a 5-spot- complete bike! i know, i know.. who cares.

i do =/

Turner Homer
    That is great and hearing your story brings tears to my eyes. I am also a proud burner owner.
    Regards
    Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

ridin' a Burner again

This has been one of the most enjoyable threads I've ever read on this forum. A dedicated Burner rider, wonderful bike flying off to oblivion (the fates have their own agenda), tearful pleas for help, aid coming from a helpful helper, wonderful bike showing up again in the life of a dedicated homer--all the makings of a movie (or at least a story to be handed down from father to bike-riding son).

I'm curious about your feelings about the Ellsworth you rode after the sad demise of your Burner. How exactly did it suck? I don't ride an Ellsworth (I also have a Supergo supplied Burner) and have no idea of an Ellsworth's worthiness. How did your girlfriend decide an Ellsworth was going to make things all right?

And, to hijack my own reply, I am going to miss the Supergo sign in Westminster. I've enjoyed doing business there instead of a Performance store, but I'm going into the conversion of SG to P with an open mind. Wal-Mart comparison or not, Performance still sells bike stuff and services bike stuff, so here's hoping that they offer what I need in a retail bike store. The employees there I've spoken with were all optimistic. If Performance keeps all of them it will definitely help the transition. I've bought a buncha parts from Performance online so I really don't have anything against Performance as a business entity. Maybe their retail outlets have a different focus, but any parts I need are still going to be available online from either SG or P.

outclassed by his bike

spoiled

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I'm going into the conversion of SG to P with an open mind.
    Good. Sometimes I think the folks who love to bash the big mail order outfits like Performance must be spoiled by amazing local bike shops the likes of which are unknown to me.

Some of my local shops have a couple of good mechanics, but when you're looking for a specific part ("no, I really want the metallic pads") or supplies (e.g., your favorite chain lube) or a pair of shorts at a reasonable price, you're pretty much out of luck. For people like me, places like SuperGo and Performance can be a godsend for certain kinds of purchases, especially since you don't have to freaking JUSTIFY why you want brand X instead of brand Y every time you ask if something is in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I'm curious about your feelings about the Ellsworth you rode after the sad demise of your Burner. How exactly did it suck? I don't ride an Ellsworth (I also have a Supergo supplied Burner) and have no idea of an Ellsworth's worthiness. How did your girlfriend decide an Ellsworth was going to make things all right?
    The Ellsworth came about because (I'm sure many of your s.o.'s have the same problem!) my girlfriend hears me talk incessantly about bike stuff, and she also has to deal with several of my friends. One of whom is a big fan of Ellsworth bikes, has a Truth and an ID. I personally was never one of the "Anti Ellsworth" Turner owners, I didn't care less - they made good bikes, that was that. So I was open to the idea of owning one, and when the option of a $599 Ellsworth Isis came about, it seemed like an excellent deal. She consulted said friends, and jumped on it.

To be fair, it didn't exactly suck, per se. Compared to my old Burner tho, it was definately a downgrade. The handling was certainly nowhere near as tight or nimble, the pedalling wasn't as efficient.. it was a decent bike that was spoiled for me, because it had big shoes to fill. But the big problem I had was when I tried to register it with Ellsworth for warranty. I knew how much she paid for it, so I assumed she snagged it from Cambria Bike. When I called Ellsworth CS, they told me that NONE of their bikes that were sold on clearance through CBO would be honored for warranty work. APPARANTLY there were a number of frames that had "issues" that they had, and CBO bought those en masse, and sold them for a freakishly low price. Afterwards, when irritated beyond belief about this (about a week later) my girlfriend told me that she actually got it through Universal Cycles in Oregon. So I called Ellsworth back to register the frame, and they grudgingly did it.

So all in all, it's a decent enough frame, but not what I wanted or was used to. But their customer service department didn't exactly inspire any confidence or loyalty in me (particularly compared to the Turner sales dept. who went out of their way to help me when they really had no cause to.)

Gedmunds - what kind of deal did you get...

On the Reba? You said Uturn but what model and how much? I am looking at various forks for my Burner right now and just trying to keep up with any good deals. thanks

Oh BTW, cool that you got what you wanted. Good luck with the build and the bike. Dont feel so bad about waiting - I have a Burner frame sitting back in the States that has been waiting for parts since (drum roll please) last February. I am in Europe and have not gotten over to pick it up. (I did not want it shipped because I need some new parts as well and they are 30-40% more expensive over here. I also had been planning on flying back in early summer)

Anyways, congrats and have FUN

Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    On the Reba? You said Uturn but what model and how much? I am looking at various forks for my Burner right now and just trying to keep up with any good deals. thanks
    I snagged the Reba Team U-Turn with poploc from Beyond for $397 including shipping. Price Point has it at the same price in red, but wanted it in black, so just used Beyond's price match thingy. Should be here on Wednesday!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I snagged the Reba Team U-Turn with poploc from Beyond for $397 including shipping. Price Point has it at the same price in red, but wanted it in black, so just used Beyond's price match thingy. Should be here on Wednesday!
    Did Beyond Bikes tell you what Wednesday? What Month? Seriously, I wouldn't count on them. If you want to get it when promised order from Larry at Mountain High or Chad at Red Barn Bikes.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Did Beyond Bikes tell you what Wednesday? What Month? Seriously, I wouldn't count on them. If you want to get it when promised order from Larry at Mountain High or Chad at Red Barn Bikes.
    LOL - I know. I've emailled them and phoned about it a couple of times, since the order tracking page never updated - just kept saying "Order confirmed 3-6 days". When I placed the order on the 13th, their site said that is shipped in 1-3 days. But finally got the email from them on Friday saying it had shipped, and have a tracking number for it putting it here on Wednesday. Of course, I'm expecting the wrong one to show up - that thing had BETTER have u-turn on it!

LOL - I know. I've emailled them and phoned about it a couple of times, since the order tracking page never updated - just kept saying "Order confirmed 3-6 days". When I placed the order on the 13th, their site said that is shipped in 1-3 days. But finally got the email from them on Friday saying it had shipped, and have a tracking number for it putting it here on Wednesday. Of course, I'm expecting the wrong one to show up - that thing had BETTER have u-turn on it!
    And of course they shipped the wrong one - just as I expected, they shipped me out the non u-turn model. Now it should be noted here that when I ordered it, I EXPRESSLY asked prior to handing over my credit card number that I WANTED the u-turn model, and to please verify it. I was told it was indeed, and not only that, they'd double check the box before it was shipped to me.

So I call up Beyond Bikes. After being on hold for several minutes, Kerry answers. The same guy I've talked to each and every time. I tell him I need to speak to someone about returning a fork that just arrived, and he tells me to hold and he'll transfer me. More music. 15 minutes later, Kerry picks up again. He's now morphed into the recieving guy. Asks me what was wrong with it, and I tell him that they sent me the wrong one. He responds, asking me which one I wanted, and I tell him - Reba Race with u-turn, in black, part number 71A-Bla-utu. He assures me that this is the one they sent, he knows because he was the one who sent it.

"Nay, good sir" I reply, "I'm holding it in my hand, and this does NOT have the u-turn adjust. It's the standard air that you adjust via spacers, as opposed to the u-turn which you can adjust on the fly". He tells me to check in the box - "See that remote control thing? That sits on your handlebars, that's the u-turn. It's an extra part." Umm, no, that's the poploc. That's a remote lockout. That doesn't adjust the travel. "Yeah, but you just said you can adjust the travel on that one, right? I don't see what the big deal is?" Because I can't adjust it on the fly, goddamnit!!!! "So you want to return that one, even though it does everything you want it to, and more with the remote u-turn?" YES!! AND IT'S NOT REMOTE U-TURN!! THIS FORK ISN'T WHAT I ORDERED!! AND EVEN IF I DECIDED I WAS HAPPY WITH IT, IT COSTS $50 LESS THAN WHAT I PAID FOR IT!! "So... um, you want me to try and get you the actual one you want?" YES! PLEASE!! Ok, hold on...

Back on hold for 15 mins...

"Hello? Yeah, that's not gonna happen. So you're either going to have to hang on to that one, or return it. You want to return it?"

So two weeks, and $400 later, all I got was a 45 minute runaround on the phone. It's being shipped back to them this afternoon, and between the shipping out and the shipping back, I'm out of pocket $25.

I go to Supergo, order the fork from them, pricematching it the same way I did with Beyond (I was told that since Price Point's fork was a different colour that they wouldn't do it, but figured it was worth a shot) and sure enough, TWO DAYS LATER the fork showed up exactly as I wanted. (And as a bonus, they sent me the team, but I thought I was ordering the race!) WELL DONE to Supergo - AGAIN. This is how you score repeat business, maybe Beyond will learn someday, but for now I will NEVER order from them again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks to the legwork of Brian, the joys of a credit card, and a spot of patience, I'm back from temporary exile from "the state of Ellsworthia" (had all my shots, thankfully!) and am a homer once more. Guess what the FedEx man just showed up with? (Excuse the rug, it's my girlfriend's, not mine!)

The build begins this weekend - only thing that's going to hold me up is Beyond Bikes who STILL HAVEN'T SHIPPED OUT MY REBA, despite me ordering it 7 days ago...
    How were you able to locate the frame? I was hoping to try and do the same.

Thanks.

Good job! Say khello to my leetle friend!

It's kinda fitting that I finished this today. So allow me to present to you, residents of the Turner boards, the result of this thread. Because I posted THIS thread on here last month, I'm now the proud father of Ted (Turner. I would have called him Ike, but Cactus already snagged that... for those interested in dumb names, the previous incarnation that met such a tragic death on 495 was called Bunsen!) who was born the same day as me (that's today!)

Crappy pic taken in my apartment (see the above frame shot - and note I got rid of that @#$@# rug!), I'll take better ones later today - I'm bunking out of work early to go ride this thing!

Again - thanks to the Turner community on here, especially Brian, without whom I'd still be riding an Ellsworth ISIS!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gedmunds; 11-16-2005 at 07:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast