Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bald and crap since 1973.

Bonking ... not feelin' well Sell me a Burner (or Flux! Please!?)

Here’s my deal: I had a Burner I bought from a buddy of mine. It was beautiful and black, with a Marathon XC fork, SRAM drivetrain, Hope Minis, the whole nine yards.

I loved it to death.

And death’s what happened, since it flew off my @#$@ rack at 60mph, and was promptly eaten by a semi. (Thank Christ it didn’t cause a major accident, but I got to kiss $2,500 worth of tasty gear goodbye.)

I have since bought an Ellsworth frame, and stripped the parts off my hardtail to build it up. But it’s a pile of poo compared to my Burner. I still wake up at nights screaming her name. Why did I get an Ellsworth frame, of all things? Glad you asked...

Alas, I am but a starving artist. My insurance didn't cover the accident, since it was caused by faulty third party parts (my roof rack, not the car itself). So I called Thule, but they wouldn't do anything, since the rack was bought used. So in addition to losing the bike, I got to pay over $2,000 to cover the damage to the truck that savaged it. Plus the cost of a NEW roof rack, levelled my bank account, and left me with nowhere near the funds to scoop a new Flux. (There's a lesson here - don't get liability only insurance, and don't buy used roof racks!!) AND I'm getting engaged soon. AND I'm supposed to be saving to move to the Bay Area...

So I called Supergo, knowing that they had Burner frames that they were offloading for $850. Nada. I shot Turner an email, spoke to Casey, asking if there were any Burners left over – he found the one remaining small on Earth, from Velo Bum in CA for $900, but by the time I got back from vacation, it had already gone. (At this point I have to say that Casey is a damned good guy - went out of his way to help me out. And Jarett too - emailled him to see if there was any status update today, and got an immediate helpful reply. Something I do NOT get from Ellsworth but that's a whole other thread on another board.. )

Speaking of vacation, while I was out there in Marin last month, I rode the Flux and the Five Spot. Never thought I'd find anything better than the Burner. (Certainly leaned towards the Flux and Burner... I'm a puss. I measure my drops in inches, not feet.)

Look lads, I miss my Turner. Very much. I want that Flux. Or a Burner. But I just don't have that $1,800 to spend thanks to the insurance debacle. So if anyone out there. Anyone. Has a *small* used Burner or Flux frame that they'd like to sell, PLEASE let me know. I'm BEGGING you!

Dave, if you're reading this, help!!!! But any assistance from anyone on here with info on a discount, a used rig, or just in throwing a bro a bone is hugely appreciated. I miss being part of the Turner family.

Ride on.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    truly a sad story and a good tale of lessons learned. wish i could help but all i can offer is my sympathy. keep the smile pal. good things will come soon enough.
    No, I'm NOT back!

I think I need to Upgrade

I might be able to help

When I get to work in the AM I will check around and see if I can find a Burner somewhere for you. PM me your phone number and as soon as I get a chance to look I will call you and let you know what if anything I find.

Cactus - thanks man, appreciate the sentiments. It sucks giant monkey balls, but on the flip side, nobody was hurt, I wasn't sued, I'm okay, my car was only slightly scratched, and in other news I have a job, a roof over my head, and a kickass girlfriend who immediately bought me said Ellsworth as an "anniversary gift". All in all, life's not that bad (especially compared to those poor sods in New Orleans, for example...)

AzSpeed - done deal, I PM'd you. Hope ya find something!

not so super...
    Have you called the actual Supergo stores and not the catalog/web sales contact? Might be worth a try.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 10-12-2005 at 08:56 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by gedmunds
    And death’s what happened, since it flew off my @#$@ rack at 60mph, and was promptly eaten by a semi. (Thank Christ it didn’t cause a major accident, but I got to kiss $2,500 worth of tasty gear goodbye.)
    I'm gonna have nightmares about this. Seeing as how i have a burner and a thule roof rack and all...

care to elaborate on the thule failure?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Here’s my deal: I had a Burner I bought from a buddy of mine. It was beautiful and black, with a Marathon XC fork, SRAM drivetrain, Hope Minis, the whole nine yards.

I loved it to death.

I have since bought an Ellsworth frame, and stripped the parts off my hardtail to build it up. But it’s a pile of poo compared to my Burner. I still wake up at nights screaming her name. Why did I get an Ellsworth frame, of all things? Glad you asked...

Alas, I am but a starving artist. My insurance didn't cover the accident, since it was caused by faulty third party parts (my roof rack, not the car itself). So I called Thule, but they wouldn't do anything, since the rack was bought used. So in addition to losing the bike, I got to pay over $2,000 to cover the damage to the truck that savaged it. Plus the cost of a NEW roof rack, levelled my bank account, and left me with nowhere near the funds to scoop a new Flux. (There's a lesson here - don't get liability only insurance, and don't buy used roof racks!!) AND I'm getting engaged soon. AND I'm supposed to be saving to move to the Bay Area...

So I called Supergo, knowing that they had Burner frames that they were offloading for $850. Nada. I shot Turner an email, spoke to Casey, asking if there were any Burners left over – he found the one remaining small on Earth, from Velo Bum in CA for $900, but by the time I got back from vacation, it had already gone. (At this point I have to say that Casey is a damned good guy - went out of his way to help me out. And Jarett too - emailled him to see if there was any status update today, and got an immediate helpful reply. Something I do NOT get from Ellsworth but that's a whole other thread on another board.. )

Speaking of vacation, while I was out there in Marin last month, I rode the Flux and the Five Spot. Never thought I'd find anything better than the Burner. (Certainly leaned towards the Flux and Burner... I'm a puss. I measure my drops in inches, not feet.)

Look lads, I miss my Turner. Very much. I want that Flux. Or a Burner. But I just don't have that $1,800 to spend thanks to the insurance debacle. So if anyone out there. Anyone. Has a *small* used Burner or Flux frame that they'd like to sell, PLEASE let me know. I'm BEGGING you!

Dave, if you're reading this, help!!!! But any assistance from anyone on here with info on a discount, a used rig, or just in throwing a bro a bone is hugely appreciated. I miss being part of the Turner family.

Ride on.
    Doesn't Turner offer $600 off of a new frame when you trade in the old one? (if you still have it). Might be worth a look. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That sucks! Ive had a few bad dreams about my Flux hopping off my rack on the interstate. Scary stuff.

You might check out Ebay. HERE

They occasionally have small frames that come through, and it seems like the demand for small frames is not too big.

Good luck

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Al.
    I'm gonna have nightmares about this. Seeing as how i have a burner and a thule roof rack and all...

care to elaborate on the thule failure?
    Here it is?

Just in case, It's worth $600 toward a new bike according to Turner's site.

Quote Originally Posted by esenkay
    Doesn't Turner offer $600 off of a new frame when you trade in the old one? (if you still have it). Might be worth a look. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
    Ahh, there was a major brain fart on my part. (Hey, that rhymes!). I bought the frame, as I said, used, so I didn't think that applied to me and I never got the old frame off the road - it was in the middle of an interstate and pretty mangled, and the VDOT folks came and took it away. Of course, after the fact I realized I could have done it - and with the money saved on that frame, as well as the Ellsworth my girl got me, I could have probably swung the Flux.

Quote Originally Posted by Al.
    I'm gonna have nightmares about this. Seeing as how i have a burner and a thule roof rack and all... care to elaborate on the thule failure?
    I had the big mouth bike tray - the 599. The pull handle on the spring that keeps the jaws clamped popped open - as far as I can tell, I heard a creak, which was the sound of the bike leaning to it's right, over the passenger side. At that point, the front tiedown came loose, because soon as I heard the odd creak, I looked up through the moonroof, and saw the bike doing a wheelie for about a second before the rear tiedown gave way and it flew off backwards. When I'd gotten out of the car, I examined the jaws of the clamp, and the plastic notches on the inside of the handle had been worn down badly to the point where they had issues keeping the clamp in place. Pretty freakish and catastrophic failure all round, and I now hate Thule because of it. My new tray's a Yakima.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    That sucks! Ive had a few bad dreams about my Flux hopping off my rack on the interstate. Scary stuff. You might check out Ebay. They occasionally have small frames that come through, and it seems like the demand for small frames is not too big.
    Good luck
    Actually - they had a small black Burner frame that would have been a direct replacement for my old one on there last week. Bid on it, but someone beat me to the punch with 10 seconds left in the auction, apparantly. Friggin' thing went for $700. Most upset about it...

And nope - that famed pic of the Burner isn't mine. I never got the chance to assemble the "crime scene" like that - since I never got the frame off the road, VDOT did that. But I would have imagined it looked similar to that...

Rolling
    And nope - that famed pic of the Burner isn't mine. I never got the chance to assemble the "crime scene" like that - since I never got the frame off the road, VDOT did that. But I would have imagined it looked similar to that...
    Well duh. I got it off Turner's site. Too bad you didn't get the parts since it would be worth $600 to some who could apply it to a 5-spot or six pack or something.

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Well duh. I got it off Turner's site. Too bad you didn't get the parts since it would be worth $600 to some who could apply it to a 5-spot or six pack or something.
    Yup - heck, like I said, if I didn't completely brain fart, *I* could have used it - that would have made the Flux $1200 to me, and with the cash my girl shelled out for the Ellsworth ISIS she got me ($500) I could have swung the extra $700 myself. But hindsight's always 20/20...

In Other News...

See, this is what makes Turner great - it's not just that they're the best rigs out there - it's the fact that the Turner community as a whole is awesome. You guys with your sympathies, Casey and Jarrett at Turner themselves, who have each done legwork trying to track me down a replacement... Get that from Ellsworth? Oh hell no...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    OMG, that pic is like seeing a dead relative.........

Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    OMG, that pic is like seeing a dead relative.........
    Imagine seeing that relative fly off the roof of your car, and once you get to the side of the road, see "the body" mangled in the middle of the road!

mtbr member

I can help

If you haven't found a Flux, shoot me an email. I may be able to help:
    clint@gwrobinson.com

mtbr member
    I looked up through the moonroof, and saw the bike doing a wheelie for about a second before the rear tiedown gave way and it flew off backwards.
    Hey, when your time comes you may as well go out with glory. Bravo Burner!
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    who wants to bet that the VDOT guy has a new turner and saved $600! hope yer on his xmass card list. the least he could do is buy ya a beer. might be worth trackin him down. if it didnt happen too long ago, it might still be in the shop serving as a show and tell piece. ya never know pal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

jrm
    mtbr member

Try calling ALL the supergo stores..

As of about a month ago the FV store had a medium frame in red..

jrm
    mtbr member

Thats coooollll..

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Here it is?

Just in case, It's worth $600 toward a new bike according to Turner's site.
    damn...

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    As of about a month ago the FV store had a medium frame in red..
    Doubt a medium would do the job - I'm just 5'6 and favour a shorter cockpit (and I have short stubby legs, hahaha)

Thank You Supergo!

Big, mad, crazy ups to Brian at the Arizona Supergo, who tracked down (drumroll please) a small black Burner at the Ventura store, at a kickass price no less! Alas, they can't take credit cards over the phone, but my check is winging it's way to Jeff in Ventura as we speak, via Express Mail, and with any luck, I'll be Burned again in a week or two. Look for build photos coming soon!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, but most of all to Brian. Thanks, man. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Big, mad, crazy ups to Brian at the Arizona Supergo, who tracked down (drumroll please) a small black Burner at the Ventura store, at a kickass price no less! Alas, they can't take credit cards over the phone, but my check is winging it's way to Jeff in Ventura as we speak, via Express Mail, and with any luck, I'll be Burned again in a week or two. Look for build photos coming soon!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, but most of all to Brian. Thanks, man. Thanks.
    I'm glad for you.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Yup, glad for me too!

Supergo's remaining Turners are on serious sale. They've got 5-Spots for $1,499, and the remaining Burners are $799.

I think I need to Upgrade

Hey no problem, it was my pleasure . I am glad that I was in a position to be able to help someone in your situation. There is nothing like helping someone and having them appreciate what you have done for them. SuperGo may not be an actual Turner Dealer anymore ( I realy wish we were) but that won't stop me from trying to help people get on/back on one of the best riding and backed frames on the market.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast