1 10.00%
  • 2007 Marzocchi 66 RC2X

7 70.00%
  • Stick with the TALAS, Dummy

2 20.00%
    TLL
    mtbr member

Second fork for RFX

Building up an 08 RFX, have a 08 TALAS for general riding duties. Will have some extra $$ after the build is done, and was thinking of adding a second fork, mostly for stuff like Northstar. I have run across a couple of forks that interest me; a 2007 Marzocchi 66 RC2X, and a 2006 Marzocchi 66 Light ETA.

If you had a choice between the two which would you choose? The 07 is a little bit more $$. Feel free to post up comments.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    What type of riding would you be adding the fork for?

If it was me, I would only consider adding a fork that had a bit more purpose-driven separation from the Talas....such as a dual-crown fork (DH/FR), etc.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    What type of riding would you be adding the fork for?

If it was me, I would only consider adding a fork that had a bit more purpose-driven separation from the Talas....such as a dual-crown fork (DH/FR), etc.
    Northstar, etc. More drops, rougher terrain that what you (legally) find in Marin.

Outcast
    If you are looking to do mainly lift assisted riding with this fork, then I would recommend the RC2X. The x-cart is very sweet, it will make that 180mm of travel feel like more than it is. I use a 150mm RC2X; the quality of the travel is far superior to my 170mm 66sl,

trail fairy
    No option to buy a HL

Just get a HL build up new bike

Ok Get a Van/Lyrik Uturn forget the Talas!

Van is not that much heavier than the Talas, do you need travel adjustments really!

Just 2c
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Outcast
    Funny T.A. none of your suggestions are options the original poster said were available to him.

renegade: I need a tire for northstar.
    T.A.: just build up a highline mate!
    renegade: Huh?

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade

I blame the meds, upped my dosage last couple of weeks if it wasn't for email alerts I'd have no idea what I just said

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Homer's problem child
    Where did you find the 66 Light ETA? I've been looking for one for ages.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Outcast
    Tll, let me put it to you this way.
    The '06 66 light eta is a fork meant for folks who need to climb, and who want to drop the front end down for the climb [eta], and they don't mind that the fork is essentially rigid when the eta is engaged. The fork has one coil spring only, and RC2 damping.

The '07 66RC2X has two coil springs, RC2 damping, and the x-cartridge, which contributes strongly tp a progressive compressive stroke. Having ridden a 66 with and without the x-cart, I can say there is a night and day difference between how the two feel on a descent. If you are looking for dh style performance, and you don't give a hoot too much about climbing, the choice is very clear.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade

Excellent advice! The solution to everything is . . . Build a Highline!

Truthfully, TA, If I were looking for a dedicated lift bike I'd go DHR. But thankas!

Rene, thanks, I knew there was something I was missing, you helped put it all in perspective. Since I already have a travel adjsut fork, the 66L eta would be redundant.

RC2X (or a Highline)

Boris, check your PM's for the dirt on the 66L.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Excellent advice! The solution to everything is . . . Build a Highline!

Truthfully, TA, If I were looking for a dedicated lift bike I'd go DHR. But thankas!

1: correct

2: No worries I hear ya loud n clear, I can have neither but I want both

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    2: No worries I hear ya loud n clear, I can have neither but I want both
    As do we all, my friend!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I wouldn't bother with the extra fork... partially cause the talas is up for pretty much anything.

The main advantage of a longer fork would be slackening your angles, but you could also do this with a 7-3/4" shock in back- then you'd get slacker angles and a lower bottom bracket. I'm running this set-up and every ride I marvel at how much different it feels. It'd be killer to have a stock length rp23 for trail riding and a shorter coil shock for FR.

If you've got cash to burn and don't already have two wheelsets, thats the first purchase I'd make towards a dual-duty bike. Burly wheels with 2.5+ dual plys (or even better, tubeless!) for FR days, and then lighter wheels with 2.3s for trail riding.... huge weight difference.

A shorter stem and flat pedals (if you don't already ride 'em) will also unleash the beast....

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I wouldn't bother with the extra fork... partially cause the talas is up for pretty much anything.

The main advantage of a longer fork would be slackening your angles, but you could also do this with a 7-3/4" shock in back- then you'd get slacker angles and a lower bottom bracket. I'm running this set-up and every ride I marvel at how much different it feels. It'd be killer to have a stock length rp23 for trail riding and a shorter coil shock for FR.

If you've got cash to burn and don't already have two wheelsets, thats the first purchase I'd make towards a dual-duty bike. Burly wheels with 2.5+ dual plys (or even better, tubeless!) for FR days, and then lighter wheels with 2.3s for trail riding.... huge weight difference.

A shorter stem and flat pedals (if you don't already ride 'em) will also unleash the beast....
    Good deal. I like your idea about an extra set of wheels with some DHish tires.

Shorter shock? Hmm, interesting. The bike I almost bought was a Preston FR, what I liked about the frame was that it only had 5" of travel, low BB and slack angles; def will give it some thought.