Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Seatpost QR clamp for Turner ?

I have an XL 08' RFX. Currently I am running a Generic seat post clamp and would like to upgrade - the straight lever caught my riding pants somehow today ??? . I have used Salsa Flip lock - I like the one plane action but any muck makes them bind up. So I came across this IRD : http://www.phattire.com/irdtafinqure.html . Suggestion's?

TLL
    mtbr member
    The Hope seat clamp is a good option. I have run 'em on all my Turners.
    Last edited by TLL; 07-06-2008 at 07:12 AM.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yep. hopes work, the ird looks fine and they had a strong rep way back when but i still prefer the salsa's. my suggestion... get a adjustable post like a gd or amp and run a fixed collar.
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    get a adjustable post like a gd or amp and run a fixed collar.
    Good call. One slightly related comment, I have started carrying a spare fixed collar with me on longer rides. I've seen one or two people bust collars in the middle of nowhere, and I prefer not to have to walk back or jam something in my seatube.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Think i'll be sticking with my Thomson post. I had a Hope but prefered the Salsa. Only thing holding me back is the possibility of snagging my shorts on the Salsa lever. Is there a reason Turner has the frame's seatpost slot forward ?

ive never snagged shorts on a salsa... ever.

strength. if it was open rearward, more tendancy to try and exit on impact if ya slammed the seat off a jump or such. just a guess really.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Personally I despised the Salsa clamp I had. The aluminum on aluminum contact between the lever and the clamp body made it excessively hard to close, even with grease in place. The Hope makes use of a bronze washer in between the body and the lever which results in much smoother action. The other difference I appreciate is the ability to change the clamping power without requiring an allen wrench.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by polandspring88
    Personally I despised the Salsa clamp I had. The aluminum on aluminum contact between the lever and the clamp body made it excessively hard to close, even with grease in place. The Hope makes use of a bronze washer in between the body and the lever which results in much smoother action. The other difference I appreciate is the ability to change the clamping power without requiring an allen wrench.
    THis is an extremely simple fix..the problem is you are using grease for something it was NOT designed to do.

Take your new salsa and put just a little anti-sieze on the contact points..... it will now slide easy, wont gall, etc...and the allen on the salsa is finger turnable.

trail fairy
    Man we getting allot of these lately huh!

Im with TLL and CC what ever way ya choose!

We run the clamps in he fwd pos to avoid hitting t
    he seat stay bridge!

To me the Salsa clamp reduces your option it cannot be used in the vertical pos which for m is best, it only works horizontally, its harder to adjust you need an allen key the hope has a nice finger dial!

Anyways your choice thats what Ive found Ive used both for many years, my salsa's sit in the bike box bits with wheel skewers I no longer use either!

Another pic of the Hope clamp
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy
    Look quite Johhny Cash actually

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    THis is an extremely simple fix..the problem is you are using grease for something it was NOT designed to do.

Take your new salsa and put just a little anti-sieze on the contact points..... it will now slide easy, wont gall, etc...and the allen on the salsa is finger turnable.
    If I ever get another Salsa clamp I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Silence and Thunder...
    To echo...
    I started w/ a Salsa. It galled badly! (even w/ anti-squeeze...)
    Replaced it w/ a Hope....sweet!

As for the fwd ST slit, I always thought the other reason was to keep crud thrown by the back tire out of it...??
    ...every day sends future to past...

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I've run Salsa Flip Locks for a long time, but when I put one on my Sultan the lever is long enough that it was hitting the SS brace at full compression. IIRC, the same thing happens on the RFX, but not the Flux. I've gone to a Hope on the Sultan and it works fine.

true for all turners med and smaller. the other issue is if ya turn it around, the clamp body also is impacted by the shock stay yoke. a hope fixes this and its not a bad part.

did i mention ya should consider a adjustable post?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    In the tradition of suspenders and belt, I actually run both. As my fiancee has told me, sometimes 3 inches isn't enough.

i was tellin s works in another thread that i cant have a momba post cuz candycorn says no bike parts with more travel than my unit.

fiancee huh? congrats!
    (ya stupid fock! there goes yer bike habit. so what will we cal ya, "1TurnerWouldaBeenNice"?)
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    i was tellin s works in another thread that i cant have a momba post cuz candycorn says no bike parts with more travel than my unit.

fiancee huh? congrats!
    (ya stupid fock! there goes yer bike habit. so what will we cal ya, "1TurnerWouldaBeenNice"?)
    Bwahahaha! There's a reason why we've been engaged for going on 2.5 years...

Just picked up a new car for her a couple of months ago. I have a little more leverage now (if not actual room) to get another bike or two...

i smell a highline..... or a dhr..... or both.....
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    2Ts they tell me she can find more than 3inches @ whistler so pony up on the Highline, since shes got a new car and head to the whislter, another 2.5years isn't that long

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I did give some brief thought to picking up a Highline, you know, for fun. But then I remembered that I hardly ride my RFX.

My goal for this summer is to at least make it to Mammoth with the RFX. I'm really interested to see what DT ends up cooking up for the 2009 Big Bike. That would be the bike I'd really like for those rare Tunnel/Cold Springs shuttles and some lift-assisted fun.

you should see what i did to ted in preperation for the dh race at the end of the month. ta will be proud of me. dont ever let not ridin keep ya from buyin more bikes. thats un american not to mention homeracist.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    you should see what i did to ted in preperation for the dh race at the end of the month. ta will be proud of me. dont ever let not ridin keep ya from buyin more bikes. thats un american not to mention homeracist.
    Piccs piccs dude, already proud of ya bro, just get me PICCS

2Ts good thing about Turner imo is what you buy know you don't miss out on in later models, sure they might have improvements but the one ya have still has that magic!

I'd be buying an HL and DHR right now if I could, do what AW has done wear out the missues give her the CC treatment, or in my case I buy one for me and one for Maxxis and I still get to ride both and save on the credit card damage and just buy him some local meaty bones and then ya get to ride both bikes one for each dayand we still get to ride together whooooooo

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

soon. a few more heavy parts and ill take pics. might be done in a week. i can tell ya it looks good but ill know more once i get it on the hill. angles are very close to a highline now.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    soon. a few more heavy parts and ill take pics. might be done in a week. i can tell ya it looks good but ill know more once i get it on the hill. angles are very close to a highline now.

Sounds wicked, I'm sure shell be a ripper, can't wait!! [SIZE=1]so what size bar and stem ya going with[/SIZE]

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Buy a QR clamp, practice and get in shape, then when your gravity-dropper equipped buddies get to the top behind you, take off and don't give them a chance to rest.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast