Flacko
    Mar 2006

Scwheet deals.. my pocket is on fire...WWHD-what would homey do?

uh oh.....just found out they only a few Highline frames left @Turner bikes. I've been eyeing one for over two years ...my 01 rfx is like, well more tired than Hillary Clinton on the campaign trail this spring .... and now I find out about this psickter sale and the $500 trade in on the ole girl... so that's a new HIGHLINE FOR LIKE $1100. ..... UH OH . Trouble and confusion are sure to plague me....

ps. my girl will kill me cause we're ALMOST done remodeling our condo but I still can't see why I shouldn't... I mean that's not even a dozen c-notes.
    pps anybody got a 150 mm rear wheel they wanna sell? or any gravity lites

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    men have survived much worse. homey would buy the highline (in the same color in hopes of hiding what hes done).
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    I've recommended another friend do this-

Still have your bike up and running, so just get the frame now, at these great prices, then build it later.

I can't see why anyone even thinking of a near-future purchase wouldn't snatch one up just to keep it in the box for a later build.

Hell, with the trade in, you've got a sweet deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    homey would buy the highline (in the same color in hopes of hiding what hes done).

I have a friend who actually does that, and gets away with it.

Alta, just buy the highline now, even if you have to keep it boxed for a bit like JC said. These are going to be REALLY hard to find used I think when Turner's out of them.

I really wish I had the money to get me one and just keep it boxed myself for a few months, as I have been stepping up my riding lately and having the Highline to push it farther would be nice.

But seeing as how I just ordered an RFX my money's in short supply. I'll probably be kicking myself in the ass later.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

fried stuff with cheese
    Try to always get the same color bike. That works for me more times than not. I'll switch up the color when I have approval from the warden but if there is no approval and one bike goes away and the new one is the same color I'm usually good. My wife is the least observant person in the world so this works for me. She doesn't see Turner, Cove, BMC, etc... She sees black bike, blue bike, brown bike. She rips it up pretty good on a fully decked out BMC and you could go up to her (even with her on the bike) and ask her to tell you what kind of bike she rides without looking and her response would most likely be "uh...a black one with squishies in the front and back.....oh, I use to have a Trek I think....".

FWIW..I picked up one of the sale Highlines (but got approval...sort of) and have no regrets. Got it out last weekend for the first time and man it's so fun!
    Egg

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007
    I have a friend who actually does that, and gets away with it.

Alta, just buy the highline now, even if you have to keep it boxed for a bit like JC said. These are going to be REALLY hard to find used I think when Turner's out of them.
    Really, Just slap some Home Depot stickers on it and claim it is insulation or wire or something. Nothing bores women quite so much as obscure household construction items.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by altadank

ps. my girl will kill me cause we're ALMOST done remodeling our condo but I still can't see why I shouldn't... I mean that's not even a dozen c-notes.
    Its easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timehoc
    Its easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

True, but that can only happen so many times and you get away with it.

Not to mention you don't want her holding it over your head or coming home with a $1500 Chanel or Louis Vuitton purse that she didn't get YOUR approval for.

try driving your car less
    tell her that turner recalled the rfx for safety reasons and is giving the highline as a replacement.

the truth hurts too much sometimes.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I can't see why anyone even thinking of a near-future purchase wouldn't snatch one up just to keep it in the box for a later build.
    Damn straight, that's how I justified my emails to Larry over the weekend. Now my build spreadsheet has a "savings" column on it so I can further justify the build. Or put that "savings" towards something important, like I9s or a GoreDuke.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Just did it, and nabbed one of the best pedaling bikes of the century. It may sit for a while as I gather the parts for it, but its an 06 front end (slightly longer than the 08 version) mated to an 08 rear end, with the shock for 8" of travel rather than 7.

They built me a frankenturner!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Just did it, and nabbed one of the best pedaling bikes of the century. It may sit for a while as I gather the parts for it, but its an 06 front end (slightly longer than the 08 version) mated to an 08 rear end, with the shock for 8" of travel rather than 7.

They built me a frankenturner!
    Very nice.

Did you want the longer shock for the 8", or did they not have the shorter shock available to frankenturner?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Very nice.

Did you want the longer shock for the 8", or did they not have the shorter shock available to frankenturner?
    Went for the 8" plow-bike, they most definitely have the 7" version available (probably a lot more numerous than the 8"). With 8" it should pedal amazing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    8" should make the XC pedalability factor fantastic.

From what I understand, all they have left is 06 front ends. If that's true, that pretty much kills the deal for me. It would be my big bike, but I'd still have to pedal it to the goods as well, at least most of the time. There's no way I can fit on a medium 23" ETT (unless it was my park/lift only bike,) and the large 24" is a tad to big for my liking.

The 08 large with the 23.75 I could make do with I think.

Elitest thrill junkie
    8" should make the XC pedalability factor fantastic.

From what I understand, all they have left is 06 front ends.
    Didn't sound like it, but maybe I guess.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yer clever, and evil. i like it!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Given that the highline is being discontinued, I sold it as an investment in bike history. Someday it'll be worth a lot more than what I paid. I've also gotten away with the same color bike thing for years.