mtbr member

Schwalbe: Big Betty

Hi All; I read the review by SSinga and Squeak on the BB and it sounds like the tire works well for some conditions; my question is what conditions does it work well on; the trails in the Pacific Northwest are not the same as Caifornia or some other parts of the country. I have a set of BB's but haven't put them on the bike and when I hold them up next to my 2.5 Nevagals they don't look as big. In addition, the tread pattern on the BB reminds me of the Michelin Hot S; the lugs are not as deep as my Nevagals.

I saw where a couple people said the BB cornered as well as the Nevagal, is this true; my 2.50 Nevagal in the front corners really well. Have you guys used the BB in slick/wet conditions-how do they work on wet roots and rocks? I'm guessing they roll faster than the Nevagal because the lugs are not as tall.

I saw Squeak said the BB out performs the Nevagal in "most ways," would it be possible for anyone to be more specific? By now I bet you're saying I could have put the tires on my bike and gone for a test ride in the time it took to post my questions; probably true.

I know there's only one way to be sure how a tire rolls and that's to put it on the bike, in the mean time I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone running these tires; I do not want to take my Nevagals off if the BB's are not stepping up.
    thanks,
    turtle

Bodhisattva
    Since it's hardly ever wet on the CO front range I can't provide any insight into how they'll perform in the NW.
    Life....the original terminal illness

not so super...
    Turtle - I rode mine in the Pisgah Natl Forest up in NC and we hit just about every trail condition possible. It poured both evenings before we rode so the trails had wet, boggy spots, wet roots and rocks form mountain creeks crossing the trails, hardpack, sand down by the rivers, open rock faces as well as very slippery rock stream crossings. IMO it was a much better tire than the Nev and BG they replaced. I will be testing the dry hardpack with a loose dust covering performance tonight. A friend who has been using them for a few weeks says they work well for him in our local terrain and he was using BG and nevegals previously.

What compound did you get? My reviews are based on running 2 Gooey Gluey tires.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Yep, I've got the Gooey / Gluey too; both are 2.4's. I've been down to NC a couple times and I bet you've got just about every kind of trail condition possible, for sure you've got plenty of roots and rocks. Based on what you just posted I'm planning on putting them on this week. The one thing I've heard about the Blue Groove is it doesn't hold up in corners (as a front) tire the way the Nevagal does. I've been really happy the way my 2.5 Negagal has worked in the front. I'll look forward hearing more about the BB's after your ride.
    thanks
    turtle

not so super...
    The BB ruled the hardpack...right up to the point that the rear one decided to come off the rim at speed in a corner . Probably my fault for not checking the pressure though. It felt a little low when we started the ride but I didn't want to stop to air it up. Now, thanks to my laziness, the rear tire (which only has 4 rides on it) has 2 gashes in the sidewall and about 1/8 of my rim is chewed up.

The tire worked well Turtle. Rolling was great and so was the traction. I noticed just the slighest bit of "knob squirm" in the corners but it did not detract from the ride. I still say it's a better all-round tire than the Nev or BG.
    Nothing to see here.

Team Sanchez
    I ran the BB in Moab on the rear, and it was a great tire. Great pinch flat resistance, and good cornering characteristics. I just recently put that same tire on the front of my bike, and I am not all that impressed. The cornering suffers. I think the Nevy 2.5 blows it away in the corners for the type of terrain that I ride. I am running the ORC compound on mine, so maybe the Ooey Gluey corner better.

mtbr member

try this

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I ran the BB in Moab on the rear, and it was a great tire. Great pinch flat resistance, and good cornering characteristics. I just recently put that same tire on the front of my bike, and I am not all that impressed. The cornering suffers. I think the Nevy 2.5 blows it away in the corners for the type of terrain that I ride. I am running the ORC compound on mine, so maybe the Ooey Gluey corner better.

make sure the tire (on the front) is running "backwards" significant improvement in directional
    control and cornering. Braking doesn't seem to suffer even though the ramps are going the wrong way. Several guys are running the BB in my area, similar to Moab, with the front
    running backwards and love it.

mtbr member
    Yikes; sorry to hear you screwed up the tire and rim; what rim were you running? Moab conditions are different than PNW but glad to hear you like the tire. I have to agree the 2.5 Nevagal in the front is hard to beat-I've been running the Stick-E compound and loving em. Every time I think about swapping out to a smaller tire in front to help me climb, I stop and think about the ride back down the mountain-it's a no brainer for me, I'm slow going up no matter what I ride; coming down is where I need stability.

Thanks for the help with the tires-it sounds like they're definately worth a try. SSinga, sorry you had the bad luck with the tire and rim; glad you wern't touching down on a hard landing or deep into a crazy turn.
    turtle

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle 1
    Yikes; sorry to hear you screwed up the tire and rim; what rim were you running? Moab conditions are different than PNW but glad to hear you like the tire. I have to agree the 2.5 Nevagal in the front is hard to beat-I've been running the Stick-E compound and loving em. Every time I think about swapping out to a smaller tire in front to help me climb, I stop and think about the ride back down the mountain-it's a no brainer for me, I'm slow going up no matter what I ride; coming down is where I need stability.

Thanks for the help with the tires-it sounds like they're definately worth a try. SSinga, sorry you had the bad luck with the tire and rim; glad you wern't touching down on a hard landing or deep into a crazy turn.
    turtle
    I think you will like them Turtle. My rear wheel is one of those cheap-ass I9 thingys with a DT 5.1 rim.
    Nothing to see here.