mtbr member

To sasquatch or not?

I am 6'5", 210 lbs which I guess on paper puts me boarder line on the sizing charts for the 5 spot. Currently using an XL Fisher Paragon that seems to fit ok.
    Man, I am drooling over all the talk and pics on the 5 spot.

Would it be best to get a larger frame w/ short stem? or smaller frame and longer stem?

The dark side is quicker

A fellow tall guy.

I'm 6'4", 215 all suited up and I went with the XL.
    I'm running a straight seatpost and a 100mm stem.
    It initially felt big (I was riding a Large Bullit for FR/DH), but now it feels great!

I might shorten up the stem a bit to get more control while going down the trails though?

Ask P-Funk what he thinks though. I know he's taller than we are and he seems to dwarf his XL bikes

Mike
    "The Truth is Absolution."

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbullit
    I'm 6'4", 215 all suited up and I went with the XL.
    I'm running a straight seatpost and a 100mm stem.
    It initially felt big (I was riding a Large Bullit for FR/DH), but now it feels great!

I might shorten up the stem a bit to get more control while going down the trails though?

Ask P-Funk what he thinks though. I know he's taller than we are and he seems to dwarf his XL bikes

Mike
    Yeah, I'm 6'5", 215 and I ride an XL 5 Spot and it is plenty big for me. I run a 130mm stem and only 175mm cranks. It probably seems big to me because my old rides were a Large Tracer and before that a Large Truth. That Sasquatch seems freaking huge! I'd think you'd have to be like 6' 7" to fit that sucker. Evilbullit is right, I do kind of dwarf my XL Bullit but that partly has to do with the fact that it's set up for FR/DH (i.e. short seat post, short stem, shorter top tube, etc.). The Bullit feels good at that size for jumping and such. Go for the XL, but put your order in soon. Those XL frames seem to be a longer wait than other sizes. My wait was 2 and a half months. Here's a pic next to a medium Big Hit for size comparison or just so you can drool some more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by P-Funk; 03-21-2004 at 10:47 AM.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    One thing you have to remember if you go to big frame wise it will feel like a ocean liner on the trails. With the XL frame you got room to adjust.
    I am 6'7 and 240. I have a XL Kona Dawg Primo that I really enjoy.
    And right now I am building up a XL Turner RFX. It won't be ready for a couple of weeks but the size is pretty similar to the Kona. (The T.T. is pretty similar)
    I probably look a bit big on the frame.......I don't get to look in the mirror to often when I ride but I don't seem to have a problem.
    I would like to see what it would be like to ride a big frame but the question is if you want take the chance...........

Just offering an opinion

what a joke

Xl Rfx

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo
    One thing you have to remember if you go to big frame wise it will feel like a ocean liner on the trails. With the XL frame you got room to adjust.
    I am 6'7 and 240. I have a XL Kona Dawg Primo that I really enjoy.
    And right now I am building up a XL Turner RFX. It won't be ready for a couple of weeks but the size is pretty similar to the Kona. (The T.T. is pretty similar)
    I probably look a bit big on the frame.......I don't get to look in the mirror to often when I ride but I don't seem to have a problem.
    I would like to see what it would be like to ride a big frame but the question is if you want take the chance...........

Just offering an opinion
    If you want to sell the RFX anytime soon. Let me know.
    blah blah blah

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Thanks for the offer oz.................
    But I have always wanted a Turner and I finally found one.....
    I have been dreaming for months to get this bike together and it is about 2 weeks away. ( I really need to get out more...........) I got my fork...........just waiting for the brakes and then I will be on the trails.
    That day can't come soon enough.......
    The last thing I am thinking about is selling but.........not going there....lol

Thanks....

what a joke

I understand.

Thanks for the offer oz.................
    But I have always wanted a Turner and I finally found one.....
    I have been dreaming for months to get this bike together and it is about 2 weeks away. ( I really need to get out more...........) I got my fork...........just waiting for the brakes and then I will be on the trails.
    That day can't come soon enough.......
    The last thing I am thinking about is selling but.........not going there....lol

Thanks....
    But where did you find it? I have been looking for the last 6 months ebay, mtbr, ridemonkey, nsmb,pinkbike and no luck. If you now of any more let me know!
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input..... 2 month wait on XLs .... hmmmm. Where are those 0% credit cards when I need em.

Does anyone make 180mm cranks these days?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I bought the sasquatch

Though I haven't got it yet, I bought the sasquatch (I'm 6'7" 260) and I talked to the people at Turner and they said I definitly needed the extra size, it doesn't add much weight. If you are in Oakland Ca anytime you can take mine for a ride.

Sam

mtbr member

With the XL frame you got room to adjust

I am 1.97 meters (~6.5) with an inseam length of 36.6 inch. Since one year I ride a XCE sized XL. The exposed seat post length is ~27 cm (of 43 cm total length). In oder to have the handle bars not too deep below the saddle (2-3cm), I put a 4cm-spacer below the stem. The stem itself is a 150mm long x 15 degree (Syntace Megaforce) which gives additional height. When riding seated this setup is fine. But when standing I feel that I can't extend to my full length (my arms are to short ... I am not an ape). This is why I would like to see & testride a Saquatch Spot.

Besides this I am too not looking into mirrors when riding trails!

what a joke

Let us know how it rides

Quote Originally Posted by ssjt5858
    Though I haven't got it yet, I bought the sasquatch (I'm 6'7" 260) and I talked to the people at Turner and they said I definitly needed the extra size, it doesn't add much weight. If you are in Oakland Ca anytime you can take mine for a ride.

Sam
    Hey Sam, when you get a few rides in let us tall guys know how it handles. I am borderline at 6'5ish. There is a pic of one posted in the Clydes forum as well.
    blah blah blah

roots, rocks, rhythm

... and if we just ...

I don't want to sound as if I don't like the sasquatch size or not.....
    It just that I have never been on a big bike like the "sasquatch size" so I can not truely give a true opinion on it.......mmmmmm
    So if Turner wants some one to have a truely qualified opinion on this topic I would be willing to sacrifice myself...........or I am sure there would be others willing to go through the trouble of riding a Turner XL compared to a Turner "sasquatch size" bike. (And for the trouble of having to go through difficult task of having to ride both bikes, compare, size it up, looking at the pros/cons and so on. Get to keep the frame that they like at a very nominal fee.)
    That is one damn good idea...........

Where do I sign up........You never get to read a review concerning this issue.

Ya like that would fly with Turner............. .......................I was dreaming there....

Well........................Back to the real world

As to OZ's question I found the bike frame on nsmb last Sept. I just happened to have a freind tell me about it, called the guy, got to see it and .......bought it. I have had for awhile but I had to work to get some money together. I am looking forward to riding it with the new Z150........
    But if I see another Turner frame around I'll let you know.........XL are rare. The guys I know told me that the odds finding this XL frame close to where I live....is some where between slim and none. So I think I was just just lucky.
    So good luck.........
    To bad Sam is so far away........

Maybe I will write a report on my bike, once I get it going. Not sure anyone would be interested ............not sure....

Seeya
    Last edited by Dawgprimo; 03-22-2004 at 06:40 PM.

Mashers Only!!

Here ya go!!!

Hugh
    Attached Images Attached Images