Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    not so super...

Rubbers for the Pack

I like the Kenda BG and Nev combo I have now but I have ripped the sidewall open in one and a few of my friends new Kendas have started to "delaminate" at the bead and I fear mine are next. Plus, I want to run Stans with the new 5.1D's as soon as the rim strips become available and the word on the tire forum is that Stans and Kenda don't play well together. I will be getting some 2.4 Maxxis Advantage prototypes to try also but the Maxxis stuff seems to run a little narrow and is a harder 60a compound.

In my window shopping excursions I came across the WTB Timberwolf (for the front) and Weirwolf (for the back) and wondered what the group consensus was on these? What about the Panaracer Fire FR? Big Betty? Nobby Nick?

If you plan on making other suggestions here are my requirements:My trails are mostly hardpack to hard with loose sand/dirt coating. Very little mud and lots of pine straw and leaf litter. Ocassional sections of solid granite and lots of roots.

Must be a very close to a true 2.35 up to a 2.5
    Under 1000g
    Works with Stans
    a soft or dual compound would be a plus
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Big Betty?
    I say go with the Big Betty. I've only got one good ride in with the BB up front, and so far I totally dig it. I'll be putting another on the rear for the next ride. Larry is also impressed with the set he's running. They size slightly larger than the 2.35 Kenda and are available in several, I think three, compounds.

Team Sanchez
    I concur with Crash. I saw his Big Betty's, and they are as wide as a 2.35 Nevegal, and the Ooey Gooey Compound is nice and soft. The tread pattern is reminiscent of a Minion Front tire. I would only run the BB as a rear, if you can get the harder rubber compound. As for the Panaracer 2.4 FR, it is a nice and wide tire, but has a very hard rubber compound, and does not corner nearly as well as a Nevegal.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I The tread pattern is reminiscent of a Minion Front tire.
    I hope it handles better. IMO the Minion front was one of the worst tires I have ever had the misfortune of using!
    Nothing to see here.

Team Sanchez
    Tell me about it. The minion rear is on my list of all time worst tires. The Betty's side lugs look more like the Nevy's than the minions. It was the center tread that reminded me of the minion front.

aka...appBLING72
    SS you know my take on this. The Maxxis Highroller 2.35 single ply Super Tacky have treated me right for a long time. That's what I'm going back to since the Kenda's blew crap from a durability standpoint.

Team Sanchez
    Hey apples I heard that Maxxis was going to do a 2.5 single ply this year. I know they run a bit narrow, but they might be an excellent option for Sing sing.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72
    SS you know my take on this. The Maxxis Highroller 2.35 single ply Super Tacky have treated me right for a long time. That's what I'm going back to since the Kenda's blew crap from a durability standpoint.
    The difference is I have a choice. I don't have to have 2.1 tire in the back

If the maxxis tires were really a 2.35 or if they made a single-ply 2.5 (so I could actually get a 2.35" width tire) this wouldn't be so hard.

El Ching - the new 2006 catalog shows no 2.5 single-ply tires.
    Nothing to see here.

Amphibious Technologies
    If the maxxis tires were really a 2.35 or if they made a single-ply 2.5 (so I could actually get a 2.35" width tire) this wouldn't be so hard. El Ching - the new 2006 catalog shows no 2.5 single-ply tires.
    I really like the High Rollers up front for hard pack and loose over hard pack and I recommend them over the Kenda BG and Nevegal on the aforementioned terrain which I think is similar to what you described. Contrary to opinions above, I actually like the minior DHR for rear. I don't care much for the DHF but the DHR works well on loose over hard pack.

Edit: I've run the 2.35, 2.5 and 2.7 HRs up front and the 2.5 DHR; all UST.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

~~~~~~~~
    Going to have to disagree with El Chingon on the FR 2.4's, IMO they corner way better than the nev's. We have some trails in a forest that looks very similar to your conditions, clay, roots, pine straw and leaves, and I am addicted to the FR for railing corners in those conditions.

Single ply 2.5 maxxis would be great. I like the mobster.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Going to have to disagree with El Chingon on the FR 2.4's, IMO they corner way better than the nev's. We have some trails in a forest that looks very similar to your conditions, clay, roots, pine straw and leaves, and I am addicted to the FR for railing corners in those conditions.

Single ply 2.5 maxxis would be great. I like the mobster.
    FR???

The Mobster is my Favorite front tire for grip and handling but rolling resistance is a little high.

Bad news is no Mobster for 2006!
    Nothing to see here.

Just another FOC'er
    FR???

The Mobster is my Favorite front tire for grip and handling but rolling resistance is a little high.

I'm with you on the Mobster for the front. I find that tire allows me to really rail the corners.

Unlike El C, the Minion DH is my favorite rear tire. I always have great control with this tire even with the 60a compound.

I like the Pana FR 2.4 as well, but only for the rear. The rubber is a bit to hard to do well on the rocks, I find the Nev 2.5 sticks waaaay better. I don't mind slipping the rear a little, but hate when that happens to the front. Scary

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nobby Nic or big betty, Schwalbe are meant to be about the best to run tubeless with stans etc

~~~~~~~~
    FR???

Panaracer FR 2.4, they are cheap, durable, good rollers, sub 1000g, I suggest trying one up front in dry conditions.

didn't you read DGC's tire thread?

mtbr member

Nyet on WTB

Stan say no-go on WTB tires. The beads are too weak.

C

Bodhisattva
    Another vote for 2.4 Big Bettys.
    Weights range from 900-930gm.
    The 2.4 is about as big as a 2.5 BG or Nev and has less rolling resistance than either.
    Very thick sidewalls. I'm easily running 28psi with tubes and see no reason why they wouldn't seal with Stan's.
    I'm running a 2.25 Nobby Nic in the rear and it's nowhere near as stout as the Betty, but is also 300gm lighter.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Living the Dream

Have you looked at the WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT?

Plus, I want to run Stans with the new 5.1D's as soon as the rim strips become available and the word on the tire forum is that Stans and Kenda don't play well together.
    In my window shopping excursions I came across the WTB Timberwolf (for the front) and Weirwolf (for the back) and wondered what the group consensus was on these?
    Must be a very close to a true 2.35 up to a 2.5
    Under 1000g
    Works with Stans
    a soft or dual compound would be a plus
    Seems like it would have low rolling resisitance (LT =low thread) and the DNA compound is pretty nice. I've had good luck with the Mutano Raptor and Stans so I'd think the weirwolf would be good. I also have had excellent luck with the Nevegal and Stans. I use a home brew now of 1 part liquid latex mold builder, 1 part slime, and 3 parts windex.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    The tread pattern is reminiscent of a Minion Front tire.
    If the Big Betty looks like the Minion that's where the simularities end. The only time I've spent on a Minion is at '04 & '05 Interbike Dirt Demo where Maxis tires where spec'd on nearly 75% of the bikes and I thought the Minion absolutely sucked. Granted I've had limited time on either tire, but I don't think these ride similar at all.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Panaracer FR 2.4, they are cheap, durable, good rollers, sub 1000g, I suggest trying one up front in dry conditions.

I agree, and they have plenty of traction in the rocks in my experience. I imagine the knobs will last awhile up front, big fat knobs but the tire rolls well. I got a pair of the kevlar bead for $35, 800 grams I believe, not that a lot of you guys are concerned with price

not so super...

I did not read the tire thread
    Nothing to see here.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Seems like it would have low rolling resisitance (LT =low thread) and the DNA compound is pretty nice. I've had good luck with the Mutano Raptor and Stans so I'd think the weirwolf would be good. I also have had excellent luck with the Nevegal and Stans. I use a home brew now of 1 part liquid latex mold builder, 1 part slime, and 3 parts windex.
    I'm not sure if the LT would have enough tread to get through the pine straw.
    Nothing to see here.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I agree, and they have plenty of traction in the rocks in my experience. I imagine the knobs will last awhile up front, big fat knobs but the tire rolls well. I got a pair of the kevlar bead for $35, 800 grams I believe, not that a lot of you guys are concerned with price
    Where did you find them for $35 per pair?
    Nothing to see here.

Hisforever
    Its too bad WTB & Stans disagree with another. The Timberwolf is true to its 2.3" roots and performs very well in your 'described' conditions. They rock especially well in the loose cobbly rocks...better than the BGroove IMO. The front one stays for now.

However, rolling resistance is a a minus.

I may be an oddball tire guy... because I like the minion F&R combo, this combo served me perfectly in Whistler & surrounding areas this past season. I def. didnt like the washy high rollers at all.
    Jesus Saves

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i too am a minion dhf fan. they seem to roll well but this is my 1st experience with big trail tires so i dont have alot to go buy for comparison. i got some for the 5" SPaaNB cuz they were cheap, kinda light, readely available in the shop and so far they do quite well but im havent pushed them super hard as of yet. damn winter! they do measure a bit shy of the published size though so those are out of smurf spec. so after all you guys tellin me to get the 2.5 bg and nev combo for the 6" bike, now yer gonna tell me they come apart at the seams? nice.... hey ss. go get yerself some vintage specialized umma gummas ya friggin frack! hehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Where did you find them for $35 per pair?
    I think I got them at Jenson, but this was last summer when I started to rebuild my Foes. Then I got squished by a car and didn't start riding the bike till Oct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast