fried stuff with cheese

RrrrrrrrrrrrrrRIM

I'm running XM819's now.
    Is there anything out there that is a little wider that is still UST and in the same ball park weight wise? My guess is no.
    Egg

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki
    I'm running XM819's now.
    Is there anything out there that is a little wider that is still UST and in the same ball park weight wise? My guess is no.
    Stan's Flow rim closest fits the bill although it's not technically UST
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

gravity curmudgeon
    Why does Mavic not have something in between the 819 and lead filled 823?

Any real downsides to the flow? It looks to be a few grams lighter than the DTSwiss EX 5.1d.

No, that's not phonetic
    The Flows are pretty light and wide. They had to spread the aluminum sort of thin to achieve this and they do dent easily. Way more so than my F219/X321 anyway. They are pretty stiff and stay straight though. I think they are plenty of rim for trail riding. I took them to Utah on our last trip on the 7-Pack and they even survived that fine, but you will want to keep your pressure up because they don't like much rock contact.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Why does Mavic not have something in between the 819 and lead filled 823?
    Why would you need such a rim?

I know clydes who trailride on xm823's,
    and people (including myself) that have had fine durability with xm819's "freeriding".
    I've also got a buddy who runs a michy 2.8 DH tire tubeless on his xm819. Seems ludicrous, perhaps not ideal, but he has no issues with flats or burps, and has ridden it hard enough it's proven in my mind. 819's work fine with a 2.2-2.4 size tire.

Trading strength for width doesn't seem like a good plan IMHO. Not having holes in the rim well is what makes the mavic UST rims heavier and stronger than wider non-UST rims from other brands.

mtbr member
    Bontrager Dusters are wider and lighter so they are probably not as strong as the 819s. However, I may give them a shot since I don't do monster drops (anything over two feet is a monster drop- over three is suicidal). So, time will tell but a good build and some full tires should do the trick.

fried stuff with cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by FM

I know clydes who trailride on xm823's,
    and people (including myself) that have had fine durability with xm819's "freeriding".
    I've also got a buddy who runs a michy 2.8 DH tire tubeless on his xm819. Seems ludicrous, perhaps not ideal, but he has no issues with flats or burps, and has ridden it hard enough it's proven in my mind. 819's work fine with a 2.2-2.4 size tire.

Trading strength for width doesn't seem like a good plan IMHO. Not having holes in the rim well is what makes the mavic UST rims heavier and stronger than wider non-UST rims from other brands.
    Pretty much what I've been telling myself. Every once in a while I think I need a wider rim to spread the tire out more......then I ride my bike and it seems fine the way it is and I remind myself how badly I've beaten my 819's and they are still in very good shape.
    Ok...it's settled...at least for a few more months.
    Egg

mr. wonderful
    I'm running Flows on my HL and really liking them. I've had x3.1s, 819s, and 823s for years and prefer the Stans. The Flow is about spot on the width of the 823 but lighter than the 819. My 819s on my 6 Pack are pretty dented (with plenty of spots where I've had to bend back the bead hook with a pair of pliers) and will go to Flows when they completely die.

I haven't had one single rim contact with the Flows yet, probably because I'm running 2 ply tires. With single ply, I think the rim is more vulnerable.

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Because need has little to do with gear geekiness.

mtbr member
    Ihave had problems with dents on the bead hook on my 819s,my old 321 rims never gave any problems.

fried stuff with cheese
    Just curious, but on the Flow rims do you have to run sealant? You can't just pop on a UST tire and run with it right? I don't like relying on the sealant to hold air in the tire. I typically (but I get lazy about it) run a 1/2-1oz "ofa da juice" for back up on my UST set up. Every time I've ventured into the world of standard tires mounted tubeless with Stan's it's ended badly. Maybe I should learn to be a smoother rider and then I could just use tubes again.
    Egg

Bodhisattva
    no sealant necessary if running UST tires.
    On my 29er Flows, I havent' had a single burp in a year running sealed Panaracer Rampages.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein