mtbr member
    Feb 2005

rp3 vs. swinger 3 way

Guys,
    I have a Burner with the Manitou 3 way. i weigh 185 and seem to have an awful lot of sag in the shock despite having 150-160lbs pressure. There's only 1/2 to 3/4" of the shock cylinder showing when I'm seated, which seems way too much sag for xc. Although it never seems to bottom out, the ride seems harsh compared to my old burner(it was stolen) and my new one has same shock. Any experiences with pressures would be of great help.what is the ideal pressure for the upper(black cap) chamber? I have about 50lbs in that one. Also I'm thinking of possibly nixing the manitou and going with an rp3. If so, what eye to eye length is needed, and are any additional spacers needed should i go with the rp3? Sorry for so many questions, but I can't seem to get the same ride from the new burner even though it is identically set up to my old one. Thanks alot my Turner breathren and Happy Thanksgiving.
    neal

banned
    No better time to get an RP3 than now, as Turner is running a sale on them.

The Swinger is not the optimal shock for the frame, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    done deal jerk chicken, I just bought one from their website, I did not see any spacer/bolt kit for it though. any thoughts?
    neal

banned
    Call Turner tomorrow. They could probably add it to the order before it's fully billed out. I'm not 100% sure if the hardware is the same. Hopefully someone else knows the right answer and you won't have to switch over.

It most likely is the same, but I don't want to end up giving you the wrong info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neal
    done deal jerk chicken, I just bought one from their website, I did not see any spacer/bolt kit for it though. any thoughts?
    neal
    The webpage says that it comes with the eyelet bushings, but no shock bolt. Maybe it is the same shock bolt as for the Swinger?

-Derek

http://www.turnerbikes.com/Merchant2...ry_Code=HDWARE

rr
    I don't do PC
    Same hardware neal, just swap the shocks out, you will love the the ride of the RP3 on the Burner, smoother ride and a plusher feel.

As far as the 3 way, at your weight you should have around 160-170psi in the main(black cap) chamber, probably 100-110 in the red SPV chamber. If you had only 50psi in the main chamber then that would explain the shock saging thru the stroke and feeling harsh, also those shocks have a history of getting "stuck down", which also causes the shock to feel harsh. Fill it up and check the i2i measurement, should be 6.5", you want about 3/8" sag on both these shocks.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Same hardware neal, just swap the shocks out, you will love the the ride of the RP3 on the Burner, smoother ride and a plusher feel.
    Cool. I have one arriving on Tuesday. I was happy with the swinger but got suckered into the "can't afford not to have one" price.

I almost feel like I should even spent another bill for the push upgrade.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Cool. I have one arriving on Tuesday. I was happy with the swinger but got suckered into the "can't afford not to have one" price.

I almost feel like I should even spent another bill for the push upgrade.
    That's cool Rich, interested to hear your comments, I noticed a diff immediately, mainly less suspension movement while pedaling on smoother terrain and climbing, the "firm" setting on the RP3 feels very similiar to the 3 way. I also noticed better traction in chunky terrain when the propedal is in the "middle/soft" settings.

Rolling
    That's cool Rich, interested to hear your comments, I noticed a diff immediately, mainly less suspension movement while pedaling on smoother terrain and climbing, the "firm" setting on the RP3 feels very similiar to the 3 way. I also noticed better traction in chunky terrain when the propedal is in the "middle/soft" settings.
    Is yours stock or do you have "push" mods? I remember you getting yours way back.

It seems all relative. When I'm spending a lot of time on my long travel bike, the Burner almost feels like a hardtail if I jump on it. But I have been riding my burner exclusively since spring and it feels pretty damn smooth right now.

We will see next week what effect the RP3 has and I will update!
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-24-2006 at 02:10 PM.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Is yours stock or do you have "push" mods? I remember you getting yours way back.

It seems all relative. When I'm spending a lot of time on my "unnamed" long travel bike, the Burner almost feels like a hardtail if I jump on it. But I have been riding my burner exclusively since spring and it feels pretty damn smooth right now.

We will see next week what effect the RP3 has and I will update!
    Mine has stuck down twice, I sent it to Fox the first time and it took 4 weeks with shipping, when it stuck down again I decided to have Push rebuild it and they were great and got it back to me in a week, if there is another problem at least I don't have to deal with Fox and Push is close by. I only went with a rebuild cause I liked the performance of the shock.

When I first got the Burner I noticed a little bit of "bob" but quickly got used to it and liked the 3 way also, but when it stuck down I decided to try the RP3, on the first ride I noticed the bike pedaled smoother, and the adj propedal is nice for our terrain.

mtbr member
    Let us/me know how you like the upgrade once you get it bolted on. I've been feeling a touch of the UGI, but I've been pretty happy with the Swinger lately.

-Derek

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Let us/me know how you like the upgrade once you get it bolted on. I've been feeling a touch of the UGI, but I've been pretty happy with the Swinger lately.

-Derek
    I was all excited until Rick reminded me of the "stuck-down" effect. Maybe it's worth the $250 to get the pushed version up front since I gather it's valving might have less of a tendency to stick down.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I was all excited until Rick reminded me of the "stuck-down" effect. Maybe it's worth the $250 to get the pushed version up front since I gather it's valving might have less of a tendency to stick down.
    Fox performance= great
    Fox reliability= not so good
    Fox service= sucks!

Push said their rebuild would fix the problem, we'll see, Fox did too, obviously they didn't. It's supposedly a seal issue, both Fox and Push said they were replacing a faulty seal, maybe Fox used the faulty seal again by mistake?

The 3 way lasted about 3 months before it stuck down, the RP3 stuck down within a month on both occasions, it's been 3 months now since I had Push rebuild it so maybe they got it right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

PUSH deal

Check out the PUSH website - products. They are running a sweet deal on a Pushed RP3 6-1/2 X 1-1/2. Perfect for the Burner.
    what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

My cup runneth over
    I have been running a non-Pushed RP3 on my Burner for the last two years and have not had any issues. I do find that there is a critical air pressure that makes it plush and barely bottoms it. If I go 5 lbs of pressure too high it feels very hard-tailish. I am 190 and run 145 lbs of pressure and NEVER run any propedal . For reference (several of you are FR riders), I ride GM/Zorro/DR/MW almost exclusively and this works really well in the DR rocks.

Rolling
    Fox performance= great
    Fox reliability= not so good
    Fox service= sucks!

Push said their rebuild would fix the problem, we'll see, Fox did too, obviously they didn't. It's supposedly a seal issue, both Fox and Push said they were replacing a faulty seal, maybe Fox used the faulty seal again by mistake?

The 3 way lasted about 3 months before it stuck down, the RP3 stuck down within a month on both occasions, it's been 3 months now since I had Push rebuild it so maybe they got it right.
    That is really interesting. I beat the crap out of my three-way and all good so far.

Well hopefully, these blow-out shocks have good parts to them.

thanks for the beta.

mtbr member

Just PUSHED my order thru...

I jumped on the PUSH deal for the rp3. I will let you know how it goes on my XR rockered Burner!

Buzz

MCM#45