Thread: Rp3 Unusual?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Rp3 Unusual?

I ran the Rp3 on my Flux today with 10psi less, rebound full fast, + platform. The bike rode fast and climbed great and the full fast rebound did not buck me off the seat. Anyone else running their rebound this way? One click slower and the bike would begin to feel sluggish.

banned
    I've done this in the past and come up with great results too.

It's logical in that the spring force is greater with greater pressure, thus the need for more rebound and vice versa, but there is a point where it just doesn't feel right and one should drop the pressure and allow the suspension to do its thing.

what...?
    Yep
    I did the same thing. Your other thread got me thinking, so I did the same, upped the rebound all the way and it felt much better. Made a huge difference climbing around GR. The rearend doesn't settle so fast so it feels more lively, ready for the next bump instead of feeling tooo squishy and packed up. With the DHXa, I also increased the BV pressure a bit and that helped too, but the rebound was the difference. I always thought you'd want the rebound slow for crawling around and over stuff, but I have learned otherwise. My main pressure is used, it seems, exclusivley for sag, and the ride gets tuned by all the other adjustments on the shock. 2 months and I'm still figureing out this shock!

But I still say you should have your RP3 Pushed!!
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

banned
    Best way to tune the DHX's is to simply back out all the adjustments (BV at above min air pressure). At this point, set the air or the coil preload and hop up and down. Ride around. The air or coil is used almost only for holding you up at this point and you want it to affect the actual dynamic damping as little as possible. From there, I would keep the PP off, then adjust the BV & BO, then the Rebound, then go back and forth in minute amounts once the baseline is set. Working out an order to adjustments eases the tuning process greatly.

what...?
    Exactly what I have been doing since I got the bike. It's alot more to it than my old Pushed (hint hint) Float. If I wanted a smoother ride I would lower my air pressure, but at the expence of more bob, more pressure and it rode like a hardtail - regardless of how the rebound is set. The RP3 has the advantage of the PP select, so you can lower the air pressure and turn the PP up to counter the bob. I was seriously considering selling the DHXa cause it was and is such a pain to set up. I like the simplicity of the RP's (3 or 23). But this weekend I spent alot of time on the trail with my shock pump and finally think I have the magic setup for me. So I'll hold on to the DHX, hoping that Push will eventually work on these puppies.

BN - looks like you fixed your rear hub? what a pain!
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

banned
    Surprised you didn't go for a DXHc at your weight. DT asked me what I wanted and there was no reservation in requesting just that. It's a fantastic shock even in stock form. No stuck down worries and smooth as hell. Rock-crawling with it kicks ass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr
    Exactly what I have been doing since I got the bike. It's alot more to it than my old Pushed (hint hint) Float. If I wanted a smoother ride I would lower my air pressure, but at the expence of more bob, more pressure and it rode like a hardtail - regardless of how the rebound is set. The RP3 has the advantage of the PP select, so you can lower the air pressure and turn the PP up to counter the bob. I was seriously considering selling the DHXa cause it was and is such a pain to set up. I like the simplicity of the RP's (3 or 23). But this weekend I spent alot of time on the trail with my shock pump and finally think I have the magic setup for me. So I'll hold on to the DHX, hoping that Push will eventually work on these puppies.

BN - looks like you fixed your rear hub? what a pain!
    New freehub. I now realize that the old freehub, dying but functioning, was causing alot of other anoying conditions that are now gone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I've done this in the past and come up with great results too.

It's logical in that the spring force is greater with greater pressure, thus the need for more rebound and vice versa, but there is a point where it just doesn't feel right and one should drop the pressure and allow the suspension to do its thing.
    That's good to hear, I just thought that rebound full fast was unusual. I guess proof is in the ride. I am going to lower the psi again, I am slightly short of using full travel.