Kiwi that Flew

Smile RP3 setup for Flux

I know. Its probably been covered elsewhere in this forum, but I'm lazy and ignorant.

I am 170lbs (post xmas) and wondering how much pressure, what sag and how many clicks to setup a RP3 shock on a Flux.

Any ideas?

Also any advise on Reba + and - pressure setting would be welcome.

d e a n o p a t o n i

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    mornin deano. im a buck sitty five myself w/o gear and i run 160 psi for about 25% sag and about 5 clicks of rebound depending on conditions. most of my time is spent in the mid pp setting but i use all 3. hope this gets ya close.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni
    I know. Its probably been covered elsewhere in this forum, but I'm lazy and ignorant.

I am 170lbs (post xmas) and wondering how much pressure, what sag and how many clicks to setup a RP3 shock on a Flux.

Any ideas?

Also any advise on Reba + and - pressure setting would be welcome.

d e a n o p a t o n i
    I am 80kg (post xmas) on my RP3 on Flux(sizeL) 200psi and 3 to 5 clicks rebound from full opened position; the sag is 8mm. I think that the fabric setup of RP3(light) is a little too light for a rider like me (176lbs). I know that is possible to chage the internal setup only at service center FOX, unfortunately .

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am 200lbs, RP3, PSI between 190 and 200. I have a Reba. I run that at 120 PSI + and -n general, 60% X riders weight = + and - PSI for the Reba..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm 195lb (post Xmas and road season). I run my around 205 –210psi and find the shock's rebound is still a little fast even with the rebound turned up all the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    I am 200lbs, RP3, PSI between 190 and 200. I have a Reba. I run that at 120 PSI + and -n general, 60% X riders weight = + and - PSI for the Reba..
    My Reba blew out three seconds into my maiden voyage

Getting a new one this weekend

So you can run both chambers the same? I thought the neg should be lower than the positive, no? I read you set the pot to 60% of your body weight and then the neg to 60% of the pos.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I actually do 60% of my weight in each chamber - same psi in each chamber. Are riders using different pressures in the + and - chambers.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    My Reba blew out three seconds into my maiden voyage

Getting a new one this weekend

So you can run both chambers the same? I thought the neg should be lower than the positive, no? I read you set the pot to 60% of your body weight and then the neg to 60% of the pos.

Thoughts?
    60% of body weight sounds about right on the Reba. I run positive and negative within 10 lbs. of each other to give the best initial plushness. The only problem I run into is not being able to get full travel out of the fork unless I put the pressures at ridicu-low settings.

Bite Me.
    Fox RP3 - I'm 180 in gear and run the Fox at about 165 to 170lbs this gives me about 10mm of sag which is between 25 and 30%. I like 3 clicks of rebound damping. I just got the shock back from PUSH and just sitting on it in the shop felt VERY different from the stock. A ride is needed.

As for the Reba settings, bear in mind that the U-turn version and the Dual Air versions have different initial air pressures (I'm talking about the 2005 models here). For the U-turn you must set the the + and - pressures with the fork opened to 115mm. For me, the ideal combination on the Team U-Turn was 130+ and 135-. Yes you can run the neg. higher than the positive. The higher the negative pressure, the more active the fork is to small bumps, but it also bobs more under hard pedaling and is more prone to bottoming out. Since I'm not doing big air, I prefer the more active feel.

The Dual Air versions run about 15lbs less pressure. On my old Dual Air I liked 115 pos. and 120 negative. The best way to tune this fork is to take a pump out with you and play around with it. I took mine out for a a couple of hours and just started with the suggested settings in the manual (equal pressure in both chambers) then adjusted in 5lb increments from there. Once you have the pressure dialed in, then you can start fiddle-dicking with the Floodgate, compression and rebound settings.

(For me - Floodgate full open, compression full open and rebound set in the middle. End result - a super plush very active front end. On long climbs I'll close down the FG and put the compression at half way. once you get the air pressure tuned in, these two controls - FG and Compression are all you need to tweak to fine tune the ride.)
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Fox RP3 - I'm 180 in gear and run the Fox at about 165 to 170lbs this gives me about 10mm of sag which is between 25 and 30%. I like 3 clicks of rebound damping. I just got the shock back from PUSH and just sitting on it in the shop felt VERY different from the stock. A ride is needed.

As for the Reba settings, bear in mind that the U-turn version and the Dual Air versions have different initial air pressures (I'm talking about the 2005 models here). For the U-turn you must set the the + and - pressures with the fork opened to 115mm. For me, the ideal combination on the Team U-Turn was 130+ and 135-. Yes you can run the neg. higher than the positive. The higher the negative pressure, the more active the fork is to small bumps, but it also bobs more under hard pedaling and is more prone to bottoming out. Since I'm not doing big air, I prefer the more active feel.

The Dual Air versions run about 15lbs less pressure. On my old Dual Air I liked 115 pos. and 120 negative. The best way to tune this fork is to take a pump out with you and play around with it. I took mine out for a a couple of hours and just started with the suggested settings in the manual (equal pressure in both chambers) then adjusted in 5lb increments from there. Once you have the pressure dialed in, then you can start fiddle-dicking with the Floodgate, compression and rebound settings.

(For me - Floodgate full open, compression full open and rebound set in the middle. End result - a super plush very active front end. On long climbs I'll close down the FG and put the compression at half way. once you get the air pressure tuned in, these two controls - FG and Compression are all you need to tweak to fine tune the ride.)
    CT....some interesating observations. I was running my neg much lower than my pos and my fork kept collapsing. I lost my Utern control, and even the lockout stopped working after a while, no matter what I did wit hthe floodgate. When I got home, I played around with diff air pressures and always noticed a change between the two chambers asfter riding the bike around a bit. It sounds like I got a leak somewhere.

Kiwi that Flew

Thanks for your comments

Some real gems of advise there.

Will be setting the Reba to 125lb neg and 120lb pos (at 115mm, then returning it to 100mm for my general riding). rebound about in the middle. The gate set so that when the fork is locked out I get about 30mm of travel.

Shock will be set to 165lb with 3 of 4 clicks on the rebound.
    PP set generally in middle.

Now that only leaves me with tyre pressure.....
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro's set at 40lb generally.

cheers homers

d e a n o p a t o n i

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni
    Some real gems of advise there.

Will be setting the Reba to 125lb neg and 120lb pos (at 115mm, then returning it to 100mm for my general riding). rebound about in the middle. The gate set so that when the fork is locked out I get about 30mm of travel.

Shock will be set to 165lb with 3 of 4 clicks on the rebound.
    PP set generally in middle.

Now that only leaves me with tyre pressure.....
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro's set at 40lb generally.

cheers homers

d e a n o p a t o n i
    Be careful, deanopatoni. The settings people are giving you here are THEIR settings and may not translate for you. Youve got to go out and find what works for you and what you prefer. Whats right for one is not right for another.
    Drop those panaracers a few lbs.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    like 5 or 10 psi less. whatever you can get away with and not pinch flat.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    Be careful, deanopatoni. The settings people are giving you here are THEIR settings and may not translate for you. Youve got to go out and find what works for you and what you prefer. Whats right for one is not right for another.
    Drop those panaracers a few lbs.
    Point taken. The adivise given by others will be a good basis for me to start from.
    Now all I need as a fine weekend to get some good testing underway....

over researcher
    I realize pressures are a personal thing, but I since I my last suspension used was a '97 Judy SL, I don't know jack about today's suspensions.

Are the pressures everybody is listing for an '05 or '06 RP3? Where people were giving Reba pressures, were they for an '05 or an '06?

Anyway, I'm looking for a good base to work from with my new Flux. I'm around 150 to 155 when nekkit, and I'm guessing around 165 with water and gear. '06 Flux and '06 Reba Team Dual Air. The Reba manual recommends about 15% to 25% sag. What seems to be right?

The pressures given on the air pressure sticker on the backside of the left fork leg on my '06 Reba Team Dual Air don't coincide with the pressures given in the manual. Go figure.

Thank you.

Roy

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I was riding a Reba U-Turn on the Burner. I think it was at about 115+ and 105-.
    I am about 180-185 without gear.

Any opinions on Revelation settings?
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

stupid question

hey folks. so I got me a used burner from a buddy last month. damn its an awesome bike! but I ain't too keen on the shock its got, a manitou swinger. I keep hearin all these things about the rp3, so I'm thinkin of gettin me one. do I need to buy extra hardwear like bushings and stuff if I get one or will the hardwear from my swinger work good?

-gus

... I guess you won't be
    you would think Turner would throw a 6x9 card with the bike giving general setup ballpark spec's rider weight and for Fox rp3's and dhx/a's w/ some of the more popular fox/RS/mars/mani forks on the planet.....ok, back in the box.....

I got more info with my old school glue type tire patch kit from Pakistan, than when I got my Spot....

I think I need to Upgrade
    Body weight = 205lbs
    shock pressure = 270psi for agressive riding
    rebound = full on still with a few unwanted nose wheelies from the whoops
    selling RP3 for $200 and getting a progressive 5th ellement air for $100 = kick ass!!!! (I hope)

over researcher
    I went for my first real ride on the Flux today. I had the RP3 @ 150 psi (mid-PP) and the '06 Reba Dual Air @ 115 psi in each chamber. I had the dampening adjustment set right in the middle on both the front and back. At the end of the ride, I measured 3" of front stroke used, and about 1 1/4" of rear stroke used. I came in right around 165 with a full 100 oz camelbak. 100 oz was way more than what I needed for one hour of riding, but I was trying to get an idea of what settings I needed for a big ride. This evening, I measured sag and the front came to 5/8" (recommended is 15% to 25% of full stroke) and the rear at just a bit under 3/8". In preperation for tomorrow's night ride, I reset the rear to 145 psi and kept the front at 115 psi.

Today's ride felt fine, although I don't really know what fine feels like (suspension wise). I can tell you one thing, that Flux is one fine bike. I can't begin to explain how immortal I felt screaming around the singletrack. I really need to build my legs back up, because this bike just wants more.

over researcher
    The other day I let all the air out of the RP3 and bottomed the suspension to see exactly how far the o-ring will slide. Is there an internal bump stop in the shock? There is only about 1 3/8" of stroke.

Before this afternoon's ride with CranxOC I had my RP3 set at 140 psi, and my '06 Reba Dual Air at 110 in both chambers. The measurement from the lip of the seal to the closest edge of the o-ring, was just a scoche over 1 1/4" of travel used. I got 82 mm of front suspension.

Regarding the '06 Reba Dual Air, there are two different positive settings given for a specific rider weight. For a 140 to 160 pound rider, the left fork sticker says 100 to 115 psi. The manual says 90 to 105 psi. I'm getting about 20mm of sag at 110 psi. However, the fork might not be broken in yet. It probably only has about 40 miles on it.

Members who have read this thread: 0