Thread: RP3 Rebound

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

RP3 Rebound

I think I am over-powering my RP3 on my 06 Flux at a 215lb riding weight. To achieve a (prefered) firm platform the shock is adjusted to 210 psi. At this psi I must turn the rebound near full slow for a controlled ride. A Push job is probably in my future. Anyone else experience this?

banned
    The air pressure is NOT the platform. It is the preload. It is what holds you up on the bike and what expands the shock when compressed.

Advice is to lower your air pressure, as you may be running too much. Adjust for proper sag. I had the same experience at one point and it was due to too little sag.

You've been talking about PUSH for several months. You might as well get it because you seem dead set on it as the solution to all the problems. I, for one, think PUSH mods are not necessary. Could be a perk, but shocks come functional from the factory. I wonder what changes in feel to the rider vs. actual efficiency exist in these cases.

... I guess you won't be
    The change in feel is quite dramatic with the Push mods.....

From what I've heard, Fox's variation in damping response is all over the map for their "one shock to do it all" approach...you could try another RP3 off the rack, and it would and could have different damping characteristics, due to oil height/assembly variations from the factory. I'd only had 4 rides in on my stock RP3, which I liked immediately, until it cracked the air sleeve.....so, I bit the bullet and sent it to Push....

There are lotsa things you can do to your bike where you really have to concentrate to notice if there is even a difference, or not.....I didn't even have to try, it was that clear of a difference - for the better, of course. It's startling how they can make the shock that much better than fox, but I suppose when one designs one shock for everyone, it's baseline mode is all you can hope for, functionwise. You will find yourself trying to find new stuff to rattle the shock, but it just sucks it up quietly....

Expensive upgrade - yes, definitely. Necessary - definitely not. But, I unanimously feel it's worth it if you are curious as to how nice a 4-bar turner can ride.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The air pressure is NOT the platform. It is the preload. It is what holds you up on the bike and what expands the shock when compressed.

Advice is to lower your air pressure, as you may be running too much. Adjust for proper sag. I had the same experience at one point and it was due to too little sag.

You've been talking about PUSH for several months. You might as well get it because you seem dead set on it as the solution to all the problems. I, for one, think PUSH mods are not necessary. Could be a perk, but shocks come functional from the factory. I wonder what changes in feel to the rider vs. actual efficiency exist in these cases.
    Could you elaborate on your experience with too little sag and your Rp3 setup. It seems that my sag is approx. 25% (9.5mm of shaft length). I have noticed that 5psi change up or down does not really affect sag that much.

gravity curmudgeon
    I have similar issues with the rp3 on a flux. I'm about 195lbs and have been running 180 psi (have played with lots of different settings). As to sag, I'm currently running just a bit more than 25%. On singletrack rides with zero drops (lots of rocks though), I get >95% travel on the rp3. The bike rides great up or down (brilliantly) until things like rock garden stretches of singletrack or dips where there is a good amount of compression. At that point the rebound on the rp3 is far too hyper at any rebound setting -- the rear kicks up significantly. Those 50 foot stretches of high speed rock plastered trail are a boing and hold on fest. These are trails I've ridden for years on many bikes, and this is not something I've experienced previously. Propedal +/0/- differences are really trivial.

Also in those technical portions of descents (we're talking technical singletrack -- nothing crazy), the rear of the flux has significant flex. I've tightened everything -- pivots tight, wheels/hubs are true and stout. I'm currently debating whether I'm feeling another funky aspect of my rp3 or simply pushing the flux beyond its abilities (maybe a combination of rider size and style). I've thought about picking up a Pushed RP23 with the larger canister (should help theoretically), but I'd hate to drop $500 to find out it wasn't the shock.

The flux is a great bike, and I just can't get the rp3 dialed in for more aggressive riding, or I'm simply asking too much of the package. I'm not sure. Good luck bikenut - I can relate.

mtbr member

Rp3

I think as others have mentioned, the RP3 damping is all over the board from shock to shock. I'm pretty disappointed with the performance of mine on a Flux. I'm comparing the performance to the DHX-A on my Spot. In most situations the RP3 is great, but fast, prolonged rough sections overwhelm the RP3. The rebound is too slow even at the fastest setting in my case.

... I guess you won't be
    for 50 bucks you can purchase a dhx-A air sleeve that will give your RP3 a larger volume, making it plusher in the midrange and low end. It' will mellow out the spring curve rate due to the larger volume.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies