mtbr member

RP3 and light, or lighter riders

Curious to know if any riders on the lighter side, less than 170, have any issues with their RP3. I ask b/c a response to an earlier post I made had a comment about overdamping being to high and rebound being too slow if you are a rider on the lighter side. Specifically interested in people riding Burners.

thanks

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuraVida
    Curious to know if any riders on the lighter side, less than 170, have any issues with their RP3. I ask b/c a response to an earlier post I made had a comment about overdamping being to high and rebound being too slow if you are a rider on the lighter side. Specifically interested in people riding Burners.

thanks
    It's a a non-issue in my opinion. Just adjust your inital air pressure and ride.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Have you talked with the guys at Push? Apparently they can remedy this. I am on a spot, weigh around 160 and am not happy with the rp3 when comparing it to the DHX coil. I am thinking push in the future, but want to talk it over with them first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

thanks
    I am on the lighter side as well - didnt have a issue with the rp3 - have it pushed & you wont believe the difference. They will modify the shock to your riding weight, bike & style of riding - Push does very good work

outclassed by his bike

Burner RP3

I weigh 125. I've been riding a Pushed RP3 on my Burner for three or four months and have not had any of the issues you describe. I haven't ridden an unadulterated RP3 on the bike, so I can't speak to that.

On my shock I end up going with rebound four or five clicks out from full slow, so that aspect of things is right on the money. I have read other lightweight riders say that compression damping was too much on various rear shocks. But if you weigh 150 or more I wouldn't think it would be an issue. (I don't call that lightweight.) I suspect it's when you fall outside the middle 80% weight range for men that you start to have problems. So if you're not really light, just play with the pressure some more, put it in the "-" setting, and don't pay too much attention to what others say about how much air to put in. (I run mine at 90 psi, after a lot of experimentation.)

If that still fails, I second the recommendation someone else made to talk with Darren at Push.

mtbr member

Rp3 at 150lbs does not work, Pushed does

thanks
    I am 150, and my experience with the RP3 was simply that my Romic was working better. I purchased a RP3 Pushed and I cannot be happier, it has transformed my Spotty 5-spot (for the better). I have no experience with a Rp3 Pushed Burner but one of the problems that Push solves is related to our low weight, so it should work as well for a Burner.

You can find some good info about the Rp3 Pushed here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...22#post1163022

Too bad is not an option for the 5-spot right out of the factory ...
    Last edited by Davide; 10-02-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Alpine Rider (Italy)
    Curious to know if any riders on the lighter side, less than 170, have any issues with their RP3. I ask b/c a response to an earlier post I made had a comment about overdamping being to high and rebound being too slow if you are a rider on the lighter side.
    thanks
    DO NOT BUY IT if you weight less than 170lbs. believe me, you throw your money out the window. did you read the msg in which pushindustries says that's overdamped for riders under 200lbs?.....
    perhaps at 160-170lbs rebound won't be too slow but it will remain overdamped, not plush on small bumps. obviously you could send it to Push but it's not cheap.

gnuH

No problems at 150 lb

I'm 150 lb and run a RP3 on my FSR Stumpjumper (2.5:1 shock ratio). At 145 psi shock pressure (20% sag) it handles like a dream. I can stay seated through long sections of roots and rocks and the bike floats across them. Also soaks up 3-4 foot drops and square-edged hits without a problem.

Running the rebound 3 clicks from slowest seems about right.

Maybe it's the HL that makes it handle so well
    Last edited by kiwirider; 10-02-2005 at 06:15 PM.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    I'm 150 lb and run a RP3 on my FSR Stumpjumper (2.5:1 shock ratio). At 145 psi shock pressure (20% sag) it handles like a dream. I can stay seated through long sections of roots and rocks and the bike floats across them. Also soaks up 3-4 foot drops and square-edged hits without a problem.

Running the rebound 3 clicks from slowest seems about right.

Maybe it's the HL that makes it handle so well

Ours is HL also.

Perhaps if you had something to compare it to (DHX coil) you would see that it isn't the pinnacle of shocks.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    I am 150, and my experience with the RP3 was simply that my Romic was working better. I purchased a RP3 Pushed and I cannot be happier, it has transformed my Spotty 5-spot (for the better). I have no experience with a Rp3 Pushed Burner but one of the problems that Push solves is related to our low weight, so it should work as well for a Burner.

You can find some good info about the Rp3 Pushed here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...22#post1163022

Too bad is not an option for the 5-spot right out of the factory ...
    same here...I'm 145 to 150 and been running a Pushed RP3 on my spot for a few weeks and absolutely love it. Highly recommend it!!

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    same here...I'm 145 to 150 and been running a Pushed RP3 on my spot for a few weeks and absolutely love it. Highly recommend it!!
    Hey Acadian, didn't you have a PUSH'd float prior to the RP3? Do you notice much difference between the two?

gnuH

Dhx?

Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Ours is HL also.

Perhaps if you had something to compare it to (DHX coil) you would see that it isn't the pinnacle of shocks.
    Sorry, I though this thread was about the RP3. I don’t recall stating that the RP3 “is the pinnacle of shocks”. But now that you mention it, for a 4” travel cross-country bike, it is by far the best shock available.

I would love to try a DHX coil, but last time I looked the DHX doesn’t come 165mm i2i with a 40mm shock stroke. Not too keen on the extra weight and cutting a big hole in my frame to accommodate a DHX anyway.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    Hey Acadian, didn't you have a PUSH'd float prior to the RP3? Do you notice much difference between the two?
    I had a Pushed AVA...

When I first got my Spot, I rode it with its stock AVA - which was okay.

I then bought an RP3, which was a definite upgrade over the AVA...overall much better damper.

while I put time on the RP3 - I sent my AVA to get PUSHED. Hard to believe but the PUSHED AVA was better than the stock RP3!!!

My PUSHED RP3 blows all of them out of the water.

Now with flavor!!

My PUSHED RP3 blows all of them out of the water.
    Details man, details.

My rp3 is leaking damper goo from the rebound/lever knob area. It works ok but I've run out of clicks on the damper knob. I'm assuming the thing will quit working all together pretty soon.....just in time for snow.

Should I send it to fox or push?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Details man, details.

My rp3 is leaking damper goo from the rebound/lever knob area. It works ok but I've run out of clicks on the damper knob. I'm assuming the thing will quit working all together pretty soon.....just in time for snow.

Should I send it to fox or push?
    tell you what...I'd tell you "yes you need to send it to Push"

but better yet...try my Spot first and judge for yourself..if the weather holds and I make it up to your neck of the woods this weekend...you'll get to try it.

Now with flavor!!
    tell you what...I'd tell you "yes you need to send it to Push"

but better yet...try my Spot first and judge for yourself..if the weather holds and I make it up to your neck of the woods this weekend...you'll get to try it.
    Sounds good.

Maybe by then my shock will be topping out completely and then the push is bound to feel like the shizzy.

I know what everyone's talking about with the dampy feeling of the rp3. I remember thinking the same thing when I first got it. It just never translated to a poorly riding bike once I was out riding it though.

Lookin foward to it.......
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Sounds good.

Maybe by then my shock will be topping out completely and then the push is bound to feel like the shizzy.

I know what everyone's talking about with the dampy feeling of the rp3. I remember thinking the same thing when I first got it. It just never translated to a poorly riding bike once I was out riding it though.

Lookin foward to it.......
    mine is valved for my skinny ass tho - but should still give you an idea of how it feels.

even when I have Full ProPedal on - it's much more compliant than when it was stock...heck I forgot to switch it over to Plush after a long climb and started bombing down this single track, just to realize 20mins later I had it on Full ProPedal - oops. good thing that section was pretty schmooove