Thread: RP3 bottomout?

Mexican e-rider

RP3 bottomout?

Hey guys, I need the collective Homer knowledge on this issue I have a Flux with the RP3 and it really rocks for most of the terrain I use it in. What I am having doubts about is if I am bottoming the RP3 too much.

Using the suggested recomendations on the instructions, and on this forum, I set the sag at 25% and marked the shock at its lowest point with no air in it.

The thing is, every ride on every kind of terrain, the O-ring always reaches the lowest point (bottomout I assume). Its not just on big hits, but on fast fireroad descents with washboards and other minor obstacles. I have to say though, I does not have that harsh bottomout feeling.

I also read here that some of you know when you are bottoming out since the O-ring comes off.

So what does the Homer Nation think? Am I being too paranoid? Could something be wrong sith the shock?

Thanks for your help

Enrique
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    Hey guys, I need the collective Homer knowledge on this issue I have a Flux with the RP3 and it really rocks for most of the terrain I use it in. What I am having doubts about is if I am bottoming the RP3 too much.

Using the suggested recomendations on the instructions, and on this forum, I set the sag at 25% and marked the shock at its lowest point with no air in it.

The thing is, every ride on every kind of terrain, the O-ring always reaches the lowest point (bottomout I assume). Its not just on big hits, but on fast fireroad descents with washboards and other minor obstacles. I have to say though, I does not have that harsh bottomout feeling.

I also read here that some of you know when you are bottoming out since the O-ring comes off.

So what does the Homer Nation think? Am I being too paranoid? Could something be wrong sith the shock?

Thanks for your help

Enrique
    I am newish on the Turner side of things, but my understanding is that this is a semi common event with a standard RP3. You could run a bit more air, but you will then have a slightly harsher ride. Biggest upgrade is to get your RP3 pushed:

www.pushindustries.com

TJ

cask conditioned
    Yeah, it's funny how the travel feels kind of bottom-less. My O-Ring doesn't go all the way down on fireroads or even on technical trails unless there's a big gravity dip or drop-off to fully compress the rear end. Sometimes I'll think for sure it should have bottomed out on some gnarly trail but it doesn't come close. Other times it'll be almost bottomed out after hitting some kind of dip on a climb. I think it's great that the Flux seems to utilize most of it's travel yet feels bob-less when your turning the cranks.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Chill...

If it doesn't feel like your bottoming out with a harsh metal on metal whack and you're o-ring is occassionally slipping off the shaft then it sounds like your pressures are fine and that you're using all the travel.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    agreed. crazy but true. i ride the crap outta my flux w/ rp3 and ive seen the o ring on the hardware yet ive never felt it hit bottom. same on my float rlc talus. my zip tie will be within a few mm of the crown yet ive had no bottoming there either. its so cool yet i cant explain it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mexican e-rider
    I think I was being a little paranoid since that O-Ring is always on the bottom after all my rides and I was worried I would damage the frame.

I am just going to take your advice and "Chill"

Thanks

Enrique
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

mtbr member

The RP3 will protect your investment.

Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    I think I was being a little paranoid since that O-Ring is always on the bottom after all my rides and I was worried I would damage the frame.
    [with tongue partially in cheek] The beauty of the stock RP3 is its dual personality. Its both a shock absorber and a light weight frame protector. Since the progressive nature of the RP3 doesn't allow your suspension to bottom hard the frame will enjoy a longer life and the pivots will see less frequent service intervals.

After Tscheezy et al. instructed me on how to deflate the shock and mark the end of stroke with a Sharpie I noticed that no matter how I rode (even on a jump of 6 feet--which I didn't intend to do) the o-ring was ALWAYS about 1/8th inch/3-4mm away from the bottomout point.

EDIT: Sometimes I'd find the o-ring off of the shaft. I figured most of the time it was me or some piece of vegetation that was hitting it. Maybe a quick hit just sent it flying off?
    Last edited by Clyde S Dale; 10-11-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thats kinda what im thinkin clyde. a hit so big, the pure action of it sends the o ring down to the h/ware. and thanx for the insight as to its dual personality. id not thought of it that way before. sure would like to try out some of the pushed stuff. im half tempted to just do it on both ends based off of all the positive feedback they get. but first i must complete my soon to be new frankenframed turner! just in time for the ski season. makes perfect sense to me.
    No, I'm NOT back!