Bikes are good

RP23 or Romic???

My Turner came with a Romic, and now almost 5 years later I'm thinking of upgrading to an RP23. Everyone I talk to seems to think it's flawless. I just wanted as much input as possible. I weigh 220 and generally break a lot of stuff. The Romic seems invincible but a bit on the bouncy, unathletic side. RP23 looks a little fragile but I've heard about it riding so well. Thanks.

... I guess you won't be
    I really didn't see that much difference in my clapped out Romic and a new RP3 [RP22 equivalent].......that said, I noticed a huge difference in favor of the RP3 as soon as I got it back from Push Industries for a total revalve.....that's where you begin to see the benefits in real shock tuning for your weight/riding style.

night and day difference.....but, if you choose to stay stock, you're only saving a few ounces, and not really gaining any appreciable performance benefit, no matter what all the graph + slide rule equipped Homers may say.

The romic is still a good shock - you could still send it in for a freshening, and be happy still.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    IMO coil shocks make for a nicer ride. I went from the Romic to the DHX 5.0 and found it to be a great move but that was a few years ago. These days the Cane Creek Double Barrel seems to be the shock of choice.

mtbr member

RP23 - opinion

had a DHX5 coil, got an RP23.
    ~1 pound lighter
    much simpler to set up
    no more bobbing, pedaling efficiency at it's best for a HL bike
    less plushness, but not bad at all
    more progressive, which suits my riding.

For DH\FR purpose, stay with a coil
    For AM+ I would take the RP23 any day.

Hope it helps
    A different angle on bikes:
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Keep the Romic and spend $ elsewhere.

I've had one air shock (broke it)
    5 Coil shocks including custom and Push tuned Van RCs, DHX5s...
    I like the Romic best because Romic is set and forget technology.
    That way you concentrate on your riding not your damping.
    All about the ride

Bikes are good

hmm?

I thought I had my mind made up, and you guys changed it. Any other comments would be good too. I'm sure something else will break on my bike soon, and having the money laying around (not like I have much laying around) will be good to have to fix it. Maybe I need to spend some real time figuring out the rebound, compression, and sag appropriately for my Romic. It always seems like it should be better, ya know.??

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Romic rocks as far as service too. Nothing but good things to say in regards to the phone, turn around time... awesome company which is cool. Post a pic of your bike. Must be old like mine.
    All about the ride

Bikes are good

It would be 5

The rear triangle is 5 years old, the frame is turning 1 this month. It's the 3rd frame, so it's new. Everything else is old. Here's a pic if I can figure this thing out.

Bikes are good

That didn't work.

Attached Images Attached Images

Lay off the Levers

Forget the shock...

5.1 rockers?
    THAT'S where you should be spending you money.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Call Debbie for an RA @ 760-244-4478
    Send that sucker in and BAM!!

Got a revalve, recharge, and rebuild and a new spring for modest cost with one/ two week turnaround this year and couldn't be happier. Once you get that bad boy remounted you will feel the lively stoke you first experienced when you first rode your Turner. If you haven't had a rebuild done at all and progressed in your riding style talk/email the folks at Romic with your likes and dislikes and you will get hooked up with a reasonablely effective revalve. Metal fatigues also, so score a new spring. I went up 100 lbs and shorter spring, resulting in weight savings (bike came with an unnecessary extra .5 "and from the pic looks like yours could be a tad shorter) and more cush for the bigger blows.

Would love a custom AVY or a CCDB but I'd rather not trade in the kids just yet....

P.S. listen to Zilla. Scoring 5.1 or even some push rockers could add to the fun also..

Bikes are good

Thanks

I did send my shock in this spring, so it's ready to go. I set the sag last night on the front and back and when a part comes in for my HL pivot it'll be ready to roll. Everytime I look for the Push rockers, they are unavailable. Do I need to call them and order them specifically? I heard they were hard to come by.

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    You'll probably just need to get the new 5.5" rockers from Turner ($150) unless you can find someone selling used Push rockers - I don't think they make/sell them anymore. The Turner rockers look better, anyway, and isn't that what matters? BTW, you must be the tallest elf in the world.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.