Expert Crasher

RP-23 experts needed here

Ok - probably a Tscheezy post about this somewhere but I didn't find anything. I'm baked anyway from a good hard ride at Freedom Park in Williamsburg - some good trail out there (thanks EVMA!).

I have two questions with regards to tuning my RP-23.

1) PUSH rockers got me half of what I was looking for - but the HV can isn't working for me in the mid-stroke. I'm going to install the LV can - is that something I have to get straight from Fox? What else do I need to order when I get the can (i.e. pillow pack of float fluid or seals?) Last - do I need a bench vise to get the HV can off or can I twist it off with my bare hands?

2) regarding the PUSH tune - what is the tuning difference between XC-cross country and XC-race?

muchos gracias in advance
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

melon farmer
    you can easily twist the air can off with your hands once you've let all the air out. Leaving the shock mounted to the bike can help get it started, then twist it right off once you unmount the shock.

Both PUSH and Fox can sell you the air can which does not come with new seals (I got mine off Larry at Mtn High and it was a bare can, no decals etc). You don't need new seals but if you plan on swapping between the two it'll be easier to get the seal kit. I think the air seal rebuild kit includes a little pillow pack of Float fluid too..

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yep. that pretty much covers it but.......

if it were me, and it has been, the nitrogen charge in the can will make things pretty interestin when it blows outta yer hand and across the room, past the dogs head and through the window of yer wifes new car. it might even knock over yer beer. get a vise, a rag and a belt clamp. use the vice to hold the lower body in place usin 1 end of the rag to protect the reducers in the jaws and the other to keep the can in earths gravity. the belt clamp will also aid in harnessin the pressure as well as turnin it off and makin a good seal once back on. watchin some folks use pliers and monkey wrenches is painful.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 06-29-2008 at 02:38 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Got my HV can from the PUSH. It was ready for install (all seals were on their places).

You can twist it off without problem. I'm wraping a piece of the old tube around can, it will help. Important: HV can should be manipulated on the bottom narrow part.

Silence and Thunder...
    ...umm...I think that just removing the air spring can / sleeve doesn't effect the nitro charge.
    Just MAKE SURE you bleed all the air out first!
    *while still on the bike, let all the air out through the fill valve, cycle the suspension a few times, let air out again, repeat a few times till no more air comes out.
    Then the most you should get is a mild 'pop' when the threads release...
    ...every day sends future to past...

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    ...umm...I think that just removing the air spring can / sleeve doesn't effect the nitro charge.
    *while still on the bike, let all the air out through the fill valve, cycle the suspension a few times, let air out again, repeat a few times till no more air comes out.
    cool - the instructional vid on Fox didn't mention anything about a nitrogen charge...

I'm hoping this LV can will work, I like what the PUSH rockers do for me on initial stroke - it's just the mid-stroke wallowing I don't like
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

gnuH

Expert Crasher
    this thread is showing up twice.....strange

Never enough time to ride
    Sorry CC, nitrogen charge is in the damper, not the air sleeve. You'll be perfectly cool taking the air sleeve off, like everyone else says make sure you have all the air out of the air sleeve before taking it off. I would completely remove the valve core if ya have that tool.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ya know what i was thinkin here.... when the rp3's got stuck down and retained a neg charge. they would pop off like a saturn 5 when ya opened the can. i get confused in my old age.

still, id use a band clamp. afterall, its the right tool for the job.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hey Green light

Just out of couristity what did you not like about the mid stroke on the HV can. I am kind of going throught the same project of changing out the cans to try something different.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

Silence and Thunder...
    fwiw - I recently spoke w/ Greg @ TB before ordering a used pushed RP23 to replace the DHXA on my Spot.
    He said for bigger riders they recommend the low volume sleeve where as lighter riders get good results from the high volume sleeve.
    I'm not sure what the 'transition' weight is though...

I'm around 200# riding weight and he said the LV would be good for me.

Call Turner if ya want more info.
    ...every day sends future to past...

Baked Alaskan
    fwiw - I recently spoke w/ Greg @ TB before ordering a used pushed RP23 to replace the DHXA on my Spot.
    He said for bigger riders they recommend the low volume sleeve where as lighter riders get good results from the high volume sleeve.
    I'm not sure what the 'transition' weight is though...

I'm around 200# riding weight and he said the LV would be good for me.
    Good to know, I have the HV sleeve and though its really squishy, I could probably benefit from the LV sleeve. I'm just a *tad* over 200# myself. Though with all the extra road riding I've been doing to improve my fitness - I'll be back to my fighting weight of 190# real soon.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Expert Crasher
    AKChris - pretty much what xjbebop said - I go 210, 220 w/ a full wingnut and kind of 'wallow' in the mid-stroke. W/ the PUSH rockers, small bump compliance is better for me and bottom out is better - I just want a more progressive feel.

I ordered the LV can today - Fox rep confirmed the LV can. I've got 700 miles on the shock now and noticed a bit of a 'squeak' this weekend so it's time to do a service on it anyway.

Down the road - PUSH tune, probably this fall when I move and ride time will be reduced until my household is back in order and I start my new job.

I spent a lot of time reading the thousand and one posts on here - but pretty good info found in the "Sultan Rocker Musings" thread.

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    AKChris - pretty much what xjbebop said - I go 210, 220 w/ a full wingnut and kind of 'wallow' in the mid-stroke. W/ the PUSH rockers, small bump compliance is better for me and bottom out is better - I just want a more progressive feel.

I ordered the LV can today - Fox rep confirmed the LV can. I've got 700 miles on the shock now and noticed a bit of a 'squeak' this weekend so it's time to do a service on it anyway.

Down the road - PUSH tune, probably this fall when I move and ride time will be reduced until my household is back in order and I start my new job.

I spent a lot of time reading the thousand and one posts on here - but pretty good info found in the "Sultan Rocker Musings" thread.
    Makes sense - I did the swap on my DHX-a and that helped with the mid-stroke wallow, looks like I need to do the same with the RP23.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Expert Crasher
    LV can follow up after 35ish miles - I like it.

Noticeably better in mid-stroke - I don't sit as low in the travel when powering up hills while seated. Still no serious bobbing, smooth pedal strokes help though. I'm down about 20 psi from 210ish to 190. Still getting full travel but only on rare occasions now, not constantly like I was with the HV can. Mainly high speed g-outs or a 12 to 18" rollers/lips at speed, pretty smooth progressive feel to it now, much like my RockShox MC3.3 was. Little bit firmer feel - I'm running the same rebound setting as I did with the HV can. Pretty well balanced with the front end - easily tuned to suit the course w/ PP as well. Like the Bilsteins on my Dodge Ram - this shock works best with some speed.

I'm thinking the PUSH rockers/LV can is a good trail setup, not too XCish, not too AMish. Offers flexibility in the ride quality using the PP settings, offers good bottom out resistance and increased small bump compliance. Once I PUSH the shock, it should match real well with the 09 Reba U-turn.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Music to my ears. the HV for a heavier rider is teh absolute suckage. Completely blows thorugh midstroke unless I add more air, and then I'm riding a friggen pogo stick.

If the LV sleeve doesn't help I'm ordering a CCDB.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Does the RP23 come stock from turner with the HV can? How can you tell the HV from LV can? Like, what is the (O.D.)outside diameter if each can?

TLL
    mtbr member
    The High Volume should say "High Volume" on it.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60
    Does the RP23 come stock from turner with the HV can? How can you tell the HV from LV can? Like, what is the (O.D.)outside diameter if each can?
    On the Sultan - yes. HV can looks like this:

LV can has a smaller 'body' to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    The High Volume should say "High Volume" on it.
    I looked for the "high volume" text on mine, but no text for volume size.. It doesn't look at fat on the one in the one GreenLightGo posted a pic of, so I must have the LV one, which is what I need for my 215lb body... Oh, this is a pushed rp23 on a 5 spot.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60
    I looked for the "high volume" text on mine, but no text for volume size.. It doesn't look at fat on the one in the one GreenLightGo posted a pic of, so I must have the LV one, which is what I need for my 215lb body... Oh, this is a pushed rp23 on a 5 spot.
    Yeah, if it looks thinner than the one GLG has, it is a LV can.