Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Round and Round: Dreaded Wheelset decisions Post

Hello,
    I read most of the threads I could find on am wheelsets and I still have some questions. I know that I want king hubs so I am researching rims and tires. My goal is to get a durable wheelset for that will handle lots of rocks and a 200lb + rider weight well. I would like a rim that can handle a 2.4 front. I have not decided whether or not I want to go tubeless or not. So far I like the mavic xm 819, the Dt Swiss Ex 500 and the ZTR flows.

XM819:
    From what i have read the xm819 is super durable, UST ready, but is limited to a max tire width of 2.3. I have heard that it can handle a 2.4. Is anyone running a 2.35+ tire on a 819? Will it tend to want to roll over if I have a wider tire?

DT EX500:
    So I read that the EX 500 is a new version of the 5.1. I have read a few comments about these rims being soft, but I have heard that they re-did the alloy after the intitial 5.1's and that the EX 500's are stronger. Anyone riding these? I like that they can handle up to 2.5". I probably won't go bigger than 2.4. Has anyone bought and used the Dt Swiss tubeless conversion for these rims?

ZTR Flows:
    Seems to be the widest rim option. I have also heard that it is not eyeleted which = weaker at the spokehead. I will keep looking for info on the No Tubes conversion, but if you want to comment on your experience that would be great.

I would also appreciate any good recommendations on 2.4" tires.
    disclaimer: all my info is based on e-research
    Thanks in advance,
    APOP
    life is steeper than it looks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antipop
    Hello,
    I read most of the threads I could find on am wheelsets and I still have some questions. I know that I want king hubs so I am researching rims and tires. My goal is to get a durable wheelset for that will handle lots of rocks and a 200lb + rider weight well. I would like a rim that can handle a 2.4 front. I have not decided whether or not I want to go tubeless or not. So far I like the mavic xm 819, the Dt Swiss Ex 500 and the ZTR flows.

XM819:
    From what i have read the xm819 is super durable, UST ready, but is limited to a max tire width of 2.3. I have heard that it can handle a 2.4. Is anyone running a 2.35+ tire on a 819? Will it tend to want to roll over if I have a wider tire?

DT EX500:
    So I read that the EX 500 is a new version of the 5.1. I have read a few comments about these rims being soft, but I have heard that they re-did the alloy after the intitial 5.1's and that the EX 500's are stronger. Anyone riding these? I like that they can handle up to 2.5". I probably won't go bigger than 2.4. Has anyone bought and used the Dt Swiss tubeless conversion for these rims?

ZTR Flows:
    Seems to be the widest rim option. I have also heard that it is not eyeleted which = weaker at the spokehead. I will keep looking for info on the No Tubes conversion, but if you want to comment on your experience that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
    APOP
    Hi

I have a set of CKs with 819s. The 19 mm inner diameter can handle up to a set of 2.4 tires with no problem, the tubeless feature works without any issues - In my experience its a fit and forget setup.

I never tried DT rims ...

I have another CK wheelset with the new Alpine rims. A great set of rims, the missing eyelets is not a problem, just make sure that the rims are built with even spoke tension. The Alpine is a light rim, but I use it for the same purposes as my 819s, and havent had any issues. I built the wheelset with rimtape and the olympic valve, and the tubeless feature works just fine. The rim has 20 mm innner diameter and works great with Mountain King 2.4.

Good luck picking and chosing

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    That was the 6.1 with the soft alloy, like 4-5 years ago now.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    funny how that keeps comming up...

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I searched google and found references like in the link below where people talk about how they read about the 5.1 having soft rims:

So someone else will read that, and then write a post about it like this:

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    That was the 6.1 with the soft alloy, like 4-5 years ago now.
    Thanks for catching me up on that

mtbr member
    Nice Glitz thanks for the laugh. I see your point. Too bad they won't read my disclaimer on the bottom of my post. Once I hear from someone that has used them I will edit my post and help stop the loop of madness for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hello,

XM819:

DT EX500:

ZTR Flows:

Thanks in advance,
    APOP
    What type of riding and what axle type do you need and why Kings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    What type of riding and what axle type do you need and why Kings?
    Type of riding: climb what I ride down, I like technical chunk, jumps, obstacles, tricky climbs. I like riding fast on rough terrain. I like picking lines, I just want some durability when I miss. I generally do not worry about weight so much because I feel that I can always get in better shape and I can drop more lbs than my bike can.

Axle: Currently 15mm QR but I may move to a 36 fork in the future. Rear is QR.

Kings: I tried my friends wheelset and I liked how quickly I felt that I could get up on it. I could feel a difference between my hubs and the Kings.
    Thanks,
    apop

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tholarsch
    Hi

I have a set of CKs with 819s. The 19 mm inner diameter can handle up to a set of 2.4 tires with no problem, the tubeless feature works without any issues - In my experience its a fit and forget setup.

I never tried DT rims ...

I have another CK wheelset with the new Alpine rims. A great set of rims, the missing eyelets is not a problem, just make sure that the rims are built with even spoke tension. The Alpine is a light rim, but I use it for the same purposes as my 819s, and havent had any issues. I built the wheelset with rimtape and the olympic valve, and the tubeless feature works just fine. The rim has 20 mm innner diameter and works great with Mountain King 2.4.

Good luck picking and chosing
    Thanks for your input.

bicycle rider
    Hello,

XM819:

DT EX500:

ZTR Flows:

Thanks in advance,
    APOP
    I don't think you have to worry about 2.4s on 819s. I'm running Fat Albert 2.4 UST snakeskins on 819s, LOVE THE COMBO! UST tires + UST rims + Stans sealant == perfect.

I have Flows on my 29er, but if there was such a thing as a 29er 819 and 29er UST tires, I'd use them. Flows are great. Only downside I can see with the Flows is no eyelets, but so far with consistent, high tension (100kg) and a year of solid riding (205lb rider, torquey, single speed) I have no cracks, but I am starting to see some radial 'spider' marks at the spoke holes in the anodizing.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I don't think you have to worry about 2.4s on 819s. I'm running Fat Albert 2.4 UST snakeskins on 819s, LOVE THE COMBO! UST tires + UST rims + Stans sealant == perfect.

I have Flows on my 29er, but if there was such a thing as a 29er 819 and 29er UST tires, I'd use them. Flows are great. Only downside I can see with the Flows is no eyelets, but so far with consistent, high tension (100kg) and a year of solid riding (205lb rider, torquey, single speed) I have no cracks, but I am starting to see some radial 'spider' marks at the spoke holes in the anodizing.

Morgan
    Thanks Morgan.

bicycle rider
    Thanks Morgan.
    Sure, I forgot to mention that I had a 5.1D (now the EX500) wheel and with the DT-Swiss 5.1D tubeless kit it was IMPOSSIBLE to mount a UST tire. I have several 4.2D wheels with the 4.2D tubeless kits, and have been able to mount and unmount UST tires, although they were tight. (Did break a steel core lever trying to unmount a flatted UST tire at last year's Downieville Classic race.) But the 5.1D + DT kit was IMPOSSIBLE! I'm big, no weakling. I scored the rim and broke / bent lots of levers trying to get a 2.4 UST Fat Albert, a 2.35 UST Nevegal and a couple other tires on it. My wife found me in the garage at 3AM, so freaking frustrated, bloody knuckles, the night before a Downieville trip. I later converted it with a Stan's strip with no problem. I got home, bought a pair of DT Swiss 340 hubs, Supercomp spokes and two Mavic 819 rims and built them up. That's what my 5.Spot is running now.

Morgan

mtbr member
    4 years of hard riding & counting, Hadley 10mm through axle - 20mm front on 819's, could no be happier. Hubs are easy to rebuild as well. Rims are pretty sturdy too. Running Maxxis LUST 2.35 High Rollers, 6'-1" & 200lb rider. Tried others, always came back to these.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    4 years of hard riding & counting, Hadley 10mm through axle - 20mm front on 819's, could no be happier. Hubs are easy to rebuild as well. Rims are pretty sturdy too. Running Maxxis LUST 2.35 High Rollers, 6'-1" & 200lb rider. Tried others, always came back to these.
    Thanks for the feedback Inkpad. I will check the highrollers out. Do they like dry loose conditions? What PSI do you run on them?
    Best,
    Apop

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback Inkpad. I will check the highrollers out. Do they like dry loose conditions? What PSI do you run on them?
    Best,
    Apop
    The tires pretty much work great in any conditions. I ride in anything from loose, rocky terrain to smooth, fast singletrack & have had great luck. I run about 32-36 in rear, 28-30 in the front.
    Cheers,
    Stu

destination unknown
    May 2008
    I've been running the Highroller 2.35 LUST on the rear - sick tire!

I'm looking forward to trying the new Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 single ply up front. Saw some in person a couple weeks ago and they look very impressive. Only about 900g too.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Another light and wide rim would be Alex FR30. 30mm at 495g.

5.1Ds certainly are not soft rims. They're very much a benchmark of 28mm rims that others get measured against.

Lightweight 2.4 tires are hard. You very much get into a territory of personal preference and your riding arena. Each tire in that category is going to have a serious shortcoming somewhere. As example the Fat Albert is a fantastic tire as long as there isn't any moisture in my area. Once it get even a little damp the tire slides all over the rocks; and the rocks are sandstone. At the same time it seems very durable and offer fantastic grip/drive traction in most other conditions.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    I am a big fan of 819s - wish they were wider but they are bombproof - I have been running ust high rollers 2.35 for years - I dabbled with conti mtn king 2.4s but they are cr@p in my opinion -most race tires have more grip in damp conditions..if I didn't run ust tires i would give 2.4 ardents a try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Another light and wide rim would be Alex FR30. 30mm at 495g.

5.1Ds certainly are not soft rims. They're very much a benchmark of 28mm rims that others get measured against.

Lightweight 2.4 tires are hard. You very much get into a territory of personal preference and your riding arena. Each tire in that category is going to have a serious shortcoming somewhere. As example the Fat Albert is a fantastic tire as long as there isn't any moisture in my area. Once it get even a little damp the tire slides all over the rocks; and the rocks are sandstone. At the same time it seems very durable and offer fantastic grip/drive traction in most other conditions.

_MK
    Thanks MK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    I am a big fan of 819s - wish they were wider but they are bombproof - I have been running ust high rollers 2.35 for years - I dabbled with conti mtn king 2.4s but they are cr@p in my opinion -most race tires have more grip in damp conditions..if I didn't run ust tires i would give 2.4 ardents a try.
    Thanks Wilks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    I've been running the Highroller 2.35 LUST on the rear - sick tire!

I'm looking forward to trying the new Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 single ply up front. Saw some in person a couple weeks ago and they look very impressive. Only about 900g too.
    Thanks. You must be diggin' the larger tires. It seems you are going up in size again.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    I am a big fan of 819s - wish they were wider but...
    You know about the 823, right?

Morgan

mtbr member
    I've got Red Barn built 5.1s on King hubs and have been happy, just a solid rim on solid hubs.

They don't seem to get much love on mtbr and WTB doesn't have them listed anymore, but I've been pretty happy with the 2.4 Moto Raptor here in the PNW. Seems like I remember reading they are in the 800gm range.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    You know about the 823, right?

Morgan

heavy. i wish mavic offered that rim with interspoke milling like on the deemax wheelset. i'm pretty sure deemax are 823s milled down to save weight. you could always buy some deemax replacement wrims

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast