Do It Yourself

Romic worth rebuilding?

I picked up a used Romic for my Spot and blew it in 5 minutes on the trail. Typical eBay "deal".

It's spewing oil out of the compression screw which seems quite common. Is this still an ongoing problem or has it been fixed? How much does Romic charge for a rebuild?
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I picked up a used Romic for my Spot and blew it in 5 minutes on the trail. Typical eBay "deal".

It's spewing oil out of the compression screw which seems quite common. Is this still an ongoing problem or has it been fixed? How much does Romic charge for a rebuild?

Sounds like you got one of the earlier faulty ones - that particular leak is a symptom of an earlier defective defective batch. You might need contact Romic. I loved my old Romic never had a problem -lucky I guess.

banned
    From the Romic site:

# For Immediate Release - Aug. 29 '03

As many riders already know, we recently shipped approximately 200 shocks into the field with a defective Bottom Eyelet Assembly. The problem affects the oil seals located on the compression adjuster causing the shock to loose oil from this location. In this case, it was a matter of a manufacturing error on our part that was not caught during the production/assembly phase.

The initial diagnosis concluded that the Bottom Eyelet had been manufactured incorrectly. Unfortunately, the problem was not limited to the Bottom Eyelet, but included the compression adjuster as well. Because of the new information and diagnoses, all return/warranty shocks affected are now receiving replacement of the Entire Bottom Eyelet Assembly to ensure proper function. Because the initial repair procedure was to replace only the Bottom Eyelet itself, we know that some consumers have received warranty/repair shocks from us that will still continue to have a problem and will have to be returned again for additional repair.

As you can imagine, apologies go out from the entire staff here at Romic. If you feel that you have an affected shock please contact us @ (760) 244-4478 to speak with a technician regarding the steps necessary to have the problem repaired. Again, we apologize for any delays/downtime that you might have due to our error. We too, pride ourselves on being riders and understand the frustration when something like this occurs. Please note that we will do our best to resolve the problem quickly.

Thank you,

The entire crew at Romic,
    6878 Sante Fe Ave East
    Hesperia, CA 92345
    Ph. (760) 244-4478
    Fax (760) 244-3422
    www.romicmfg.com

Lay off the Levers
    And while they have it open ask them if they'll revalve it specifically for you and your bike. They used to do that for little to n/c on repairs.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bodhisattva
    My advice....

if Romic will warranty it quickly and for free then you have nothing to lose by sending it in.

If not, then trash it and pick up a different shock. There are so many good choices out there these days that I wouldn't spend a penny on a Romic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What's a good alternative Swqueaky - thinking budget/back-up?

Freshly Fujified

Fix it under warranty

Then sell it in classifieds or on ebay. Like squeak says, there are other alternatives, many of which might be better options depending on your needs.

Just my 2 cents.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Humour
    What's a good alternative Swqueaky - thinking budget/back-up?
    Budget?
    What's that?
    We're all posers & snobs here on the Turner board.

Choice of shock depends on application/budget/need. For a 5-spot on a budget, I'd try to pick up either a used Fox RP3, newer style Float or Vanilla for cheap on ebay then PUSH it.

New? Lots of choices. None are "budget minded"
    DHX with intent of the PUSH'ing when mods released (soon, soon)
    Avy
    Cane Creek Double Barrel
    Rocco

or for Air
    RP3
    Rock Shox Pearl

Freshly Fujified

My choice (budget minded)

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Choice of shock depends on application/budget/need. For a 5-spot on a budget, I'd try to pick up either a used Fox RP3, newer style Float or Vanilla for cheap on ebay then PUSH it.
    Went to ebay, picked up a VanillaR for $50, sent it to PUSH for the works. Voila! $200 and you have a custom valved coil shock that works great for aggressive XC riding. Just saw a late model, brand new Vanilla R sell for $41, so this can definitely still be done.

Worked well for me.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Baked Alaskan
    What happened to Romic??? When the Spot first hit that was THE shock to have, then they started having problems and then -- poof -- nothing new from them since.

I remember some i-bike pics that showed a featherweight version of the twin tube shock, what ever came of that??? Their webiste hasn't seen an update in the last couple years.

Its a shame if their shock line craps out with the old twin tube, their CS was top notch for me. They were very helpful and turn around time was less than a week round trip from Alaska.

But their stuff has been left in the dust by the DHX's and the RP3. Hopefully - like Apple - they can bounce back with something that just flattens everything else and raises the bar.

Same goes for 5th element, nothing new for awhile. And you know us poseurs need the latest shock bling, regardless of the cost.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    What happened to Romic??? Hopefully - like Apple - they can bounce back with something that just flattens everything else and raises the bar.
    With the products out right now they would have to come out with a shock like the CCDB for less $ to be successful again.
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    Yeah, it's a darned shame Romic didn't work on building more products while the D was hot. They did have great service (in my case) and were generally nice people to deal with. The manual on the website is dated 2002... if they haven't done anything new in the last 4 years they have a heck of a lot of catching-up to do and a lot of competition to deal with.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Amphibious Technologies
    Isn't it a coincidence that Romic hasn't released any new product since "The Darren" left
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Isn't it a coincidence that Romic hasn't released any new product since "The Darren" left
    Darren from Bewitched??? So THAT'S what happened to him after the show went off the air.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Do It Yourself
    Thanks everyone. I emailed Romic and will give them a call next week to see what's up. I want to PUSH the RP3 as well but I don't have money to rebuild both shocks. I will use the RP3 more so that's the priority.
    Long Live Long Rides

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Just saw a late model, brand new Vanilla R sell for $41, so this can definitely still be done.
    That was me, and sending one to PUSH was exactly my plan. Glad to hear it worked for you because I was really hoping I'd have good results going this route.

Care to tell what custom work you requested.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

"El Whatever"
    I posted a similar question on the DH board (where there are more shocks blown by square mile than anywhere else).

Basically, yeah. Romic has sorted out the crap the had going but there are still a lot of bad shocks going around.

It's quite a shock that requires yearly maintenance and rebuild... but it's only 35 buck direct from Romic. They also revalve the shock for peanuts.

I would release you from the burden to deal with Romic (I need a 7.5 X 2 shock to replace the aging Giant HV on my Warp) but I'm out of funds nowadays and I don't see when would I have the money to get a new one. Otherwise I'd buy it from you and get it rebuild for myself.

The Warp has rather low leverage and I'm pretty lightweigth... so I don't stress shocks much.

Considering the current shocks available and the agressive pricing on some, I find it hard to pop out 360 bucks for a new Romic when an RP3 works as good for my use.
    Check my Site

Just another FOC'er
    Went to ebay, picked up a VanillaR for $50, sent it to PUSH for the works. Voila! $200 and you have a custom valved coil shock that works great for aggressive XC riding. Just saw a late model, brand new Vanilla R sell for $41, so this can definitely still be done.

Worked well for me.

Bob

I had a friend who told me that he asked Push about the Vanilla R and they said they don't do that one? Typo, or did my friend get confused?

Freshly Fujified

You got a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    That was me, and sending one to PUSH was exactly my plan. Glad to hear it worked for you because I was really hoping I'd have good results going this route.

Care to tell what custom work you requested.

Rando
    I got the Factory Tuning System. In addition to replacing the internals with better parts, it basically tunes the shock to your suspension type, weight and riding style. Go to their web site and click on services, then shock services. Scroll down to the second option. This is what I would personally reccommend over the Factory rebuild.

That's one hell of a deal for $191.00 total in my opinion.

Bob

Freshly Fujified

Friend is confused

Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    I had a friend who told me that he asked Push about the Vanilla R and they said they don't do that one? Typo, or did my friend get confused?
    Unless they have discontinued the service and haven't updated the website to reflect that change, then your friend is mistaken. I just looked and the Vanilla R (or VanR as listed on their web site) is still listed. Perhaps a call is in order?

Bob

Just another FOC'er
    Unless they have discontinued the service and haven't updated the website to reflect that change, then your friend is mistaken. I just looked and the Vanilla R (or VanR as listed on their web site) is still listed. Perhaps a call is in order?

Bob

Bob,

Yeah, you're right it's shown on their webpage. I went and found the email thread that caused my question. Maybe my friends shock is too old? I wasn't aware that the Van R changed, but maybe that 1998 is the key...

Question -

Do you "Push" old Fox Vanilla R shocks? I've got a circa 1998 Santa Cruz heckler that needs a face lift. Do you have any options for me? (I'm a 225 pound, fairly agressive rider, so an air shock doesn't particularly appeal to me.)

Answer -

Marcus,

We don’t offer service on that older model shock, but we do offer replacement units that include mount reducers. We offer both the Float R and Float RP3 for that bike, in both stock trim or with our Factory Tuning Systems installed. You can check out the shocks under the “products” tab of the site. If you’d like to go ahead and purchase one, you can click on the “add to cart” icon in the products page.

Thanks,
    Jimmy
    Push Industries, Inc.
    Last edited by .Danno.; 01-27-2006 at 11:39 PM.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I got the Factory Tuning System. In addition to replacing the internals with better parts, it basically tunes the shock to your suspension type, weight and riding style. Go to their web site and click on services, then shock services. Scroll down to the second option. This is what I would personally reccommend over the Factory rebuild.

That's one hell of a deal for $191.00 total in my opinion.
    Thanks Bob, as soon as I get it it's going to PUSH. I couldn't believe it either when no one else upped the bid. If anyone else is interested, there's another listed today, maybe you'll pick it up cheaply too.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

... I guess you won't be
    I've got over two years use on my tired old romic, without a rebuild!! It's defied all the internet hand wringers, and just keeps plugging away....I like the shock, even though I know the platform isn't working anymore - good thing it's on a micro bobbin turner!

Even if you decide to get another shock, fix the romic and keep it as a spare - it's still a decent perfoming shock that will never get "stuck down" like a fox product.....which I just ordered up an rp3 to see what I may or may not be missing......?

As soon as I get my rp3, I'm sending my trusty romic in for a freshening...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I"m thinking about the same thing

Worked well for me.

Bob
    I have a Romic I really like...I think they are very good shocks; however, I'm wondering what a Pushed Vanilla would be like on the Spot. I'm not wild about the ride of the RP3. It wallows mid stroke and I don't seem to get full travel unless I dump too much air. Also, the stuck down deal is a pain. I might have to cruise old Ebay...I would buy a DHX coil if I could find one.

Jaybo

PSI
    I want that one

fix it

a properly working and set romic is plush without bobbing or bottoming out. ive had one on my spot for a year and am very happy with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0