Toby Wong?

Romic w/ Ti or PUSH'd Vanilla RC - which to spec

which would you rather have on your 5Spot?

cask conditioned
    A Pushed Vanilla will out-perform a ti sprung Romic. A ti spring won't make any shock climb better either.

Toby Wong?
    why do you say that? i'm just curious for a comparison of the two shocks, thanks so much.

mtbr platinum member
    I know that it is biased info, but Darren at Push (who designed the Romic) said that a Pushed Vanilla RC would outperform any other shock out there including a Romic, 5th, Avy, etc.

I, for one, would rather have a shock that has been custom tuned to my weight, riding style, bike leverage ratio, etc. over a 'generic tuned' Romic any day.

Both shocks are similar in their piston/valving characteristics- both use digressive valving. However, the Romic's piston is designed differently so that you can change the 'platform' by adding or removing preload shims. Push uses custom dished pistons to achieve the same damping curve. The damping curves of both should be similar, meaning similar performance (but the Romic isn't cusomized like Push).

-Ryan
    Last edited by bikerx40; 03-23-2004 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Added valving info
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    There's a few other things you might want to consider:

Per my local turner dealers, the 5-spot will come with a romic, or a fox ava I think they said, but if you want anything else, it's up to you and your local lbs to swap or sell the stock shock (unless you want both)

The romic rides great, turner spec's it, and many people have not experienced durability issues.

Push; no doubt Darren does great stuff. However, based on my friend who had his vanilla RC pushed, there can be durability issues, just as with any other shock. It might be rare, and Darren is definately taking good care of him, but my used romic outlasted his Push RC.

Lastly there's cost: the full push treatment costs about $180. You can easily find romic's for $225. Or complimentary with a new 5-spot.

Personally I'd keep the romic, and buy a back-up shock, maybe even just a used vanilla R. You can always have Darren do the Push on your romic, if & when it blows up. And with a cheap spare, you'll never be stuck without a shock in the meantime.

Toby Wong?
    Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'm gonna buy a PUSH'd RC as a back-up (or probably a "front-up") and see how that goes, switch between the two, see which i like more. Best of both worlds, i suppose. Because Darren worked with Romic, he currently is not re-valving them, in order to keep his relationship separate from them and on good terms. Sounds fair to me.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

What size Vanilla would a guy need?

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    There's a few other things you might want to consider:

Per my local turner dealers, the 5-spot will come with a romic, or a fox ava I think they said, but if you want anything else, it's up to you and your local lbs to swap or sell the stock shock (unless you want both)

The romic rides great, turner spec's it, and many people have not experienced durability issues.

Push; no doubt Darren does great stuff. However, based on my friend who had his vanilla RC pushed, there can be durability issues, just as with any other shock. It might be rare, and Darren is definately taking good care of him, but my used romic outlasted his Push RC.

Lastly there's cost: the full push treatment costs about $180. You can easily find romic's for $225. Or complimentary with a new 5-spot.

Personally I'd keep the romic, and buy a back-up shock, maybe even just a used vanilla R. You can always have Darren do the Push on your romic, if & when it blows up. And with a cheap spare, you'll never be stuck without a shock in the meantime.
    What size Vanilla would a guy need? Do you know?

I think the Spot would ride great with a stock nonpropedal Vanilla because it is so bob resistant by design. I'm not sure you would need a propedal shock.

Jaybo

Toby Wong?
    7.5", 2 inch stroke

DGC
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    What size Vanilla would a guy need? Do you know?

I think the Spot would ride great with a stock nonpropedal Vanilla because it is so bob resistant by design. I'm not sure you would need a propedal shock.

Jaybo
    The Turner 5 Spot does do good on its own with a non pro pedal Fox vanilla RC, but it can be felt in the woops or similar terrain, It just does not need as much help as it does on other bikes. A lighter push valving might be the ticket, but I would start on an old Vanilla RC and try it first and see how it does for your riding.

Toby Wong?
    word.
    Last edited by Tappoix; 03-25-2004 at 06:10 AM.