Be happy......go riding

Rocker removal.....Help!

I'm trying to remove the stock rockers from my Burner so I can upgrade to the XR rockers, but I'm having trouble loosening the set screws(bolts) that connect the rockers to the frame of the bike. Anyone have any tips on breaking loose those set screws? Man they're real tight! I'm afraid to put too much torque on them in fear of stripping those allen heads.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    The likely case is that the loc-tite on the bolts is the kind that is very difficult to break. It really just takes a lot of force (think cheater bar) to get them to move. If you're worried about damaging the bolts and you're going to try and ride this weekend, I would wait until I called Turner on Monday to have some spare bolts sent out before I tried to break them free. It's certainly possible you could round out the allen bolts.

Good luck.

banned
    Make sure you're using a quality torx driver, for one, then make sure that you have the driver in the bolt absolutely straight in the bolt. You greatly reduce the chances of damaging the bolt and the driver if you follow this.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    using a little heat helps ease the process of removing a tight bolt and melting the locktite, but I'm not sure if it'll adversely affect your aluminum frame. just don't heat it up too much
    goodluck
    [SIZE="1"]Kona Coiler[/SIZE]

Be happy......go riding

Heat?

I work on a farm and we're always using the torch to heat up bolts or the surface around them to help break them loose, but I'm talking heavy metal equipment. I'm hesitant to use the torch on the bike. I don't want to end up having a burnt Burner.

banned
    Hair dryer and medium heat added to the bolt.

3 "fiddy" for short
    A helper is always a good idea too. It will let you focus on keeping one wrench straight while the other person focuses on the other. Especially when the bolts are really tight.

mtbr member
    "Heat?"

Yes heat is good as far as the locktite is concerned try pouring a few boiling kettles over the pivot, then get a "T" bar on an Allen key socket this evens out the forces on the head of the Allen key.

Good luck
    Stay off the brakes

Be happy......go riding

Thanks!

Thanks for all the helpful advise on how to remove those rocker bolts. I did finally get them off. Fortunately I didn't have to use heat. I think that the key to removal was, just as I was advised, to use the right tools and "quality tools" I'll confess to you guys straight up that when I first tried to remove those bolts, I was using my handy dandy multi-tool.......duhhh!
    Some of us newbies have to learn the hard way. A long handle torque wrench and a quality hex head socket did the trick. Yes, and having the tools at the right angles when torque is applied.
    Last edited by Trailmix; 12-06-2006 at 08:27 AM.