mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Rock Shock Revelations

Hola amigos,

I recently ordered a new 2006 5-spot. Anyone have any experience with running a Rock Shocks Revelations fork on a this frame? For that matter, how critical is it REALLY to run a 130mm (max) travel fork on this frame.

adios,

Mtbker

not so super...
    RedRocker is running a Revelation on his Spot. Maybe he will speak up or you could PM him.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    RedRocker is running a Revelation on his Spot. Maybe he will speak up or you could PM him.
    As does Jaybo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very cool! Hopefully RedRocker and Jayboy will offer some wisdom. I've got 4 - 6 weeks, as I fell for the custom color (Granny Smith Green) scam. What a sucker!

Mexican e-rider
    Got one!

I'm liking it very much! It is hard to get the settings right but once you do the fork is very supple and it feels very linear troughout its travel. I have the dual air version without U turn and it works great for me. Mostly I ride through fireroads and singletrack so no big jumps for me. For what I use it, its stiff enough.

For comparison's sake, I have a Fox Float that feels more plush on the slow speed bumps but blows throgh its travel very fast.

Do a search, Jaybo posted a review of it a few months back.

hope this helps.

Mada
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Gracia mi amigo!

Mtbker

Bite Me.
    I've used the Reba on the Burner, and I think the Revelation is basically the same fork only longer travel. Very good equipment IMO. My only thought on the Spot is that I like having a travel adjust and I like having more than the recommended 130mm option. My current Spot fork goes from 115mm to 145mm so you can steepen or lessen the effective HT angle for varying terrain. Definitely get a U-Turn if you can
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I was at a shop last night and picked up a Pike in one hand, and a Revelation in the other, and couldn't tell a weight difference. Granted, the Pike didn't have the Maxle installed, so that'd make a difference, but I was surprised at how similar they felt. I then picked up a Float, and it felt the same as well. Maybe it's hard to register a few grams difference just by feel, but just sayin...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I hear ya...

To be honest, I'm not really super weight concious. I guess you could call me a hater when it comes to Fox racing... I think we (the consumer) mostly pay for the HYPE! I'm taking the time to do the research in an effort to both educate myself, and to end up purchasing anything but a FOX!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Speaking up here! I went Revelation for a few reasons. The first is that I had a Reba on my Burner and really liked it. The second is that I didn't think I rode gnarly enough stuff to make a 20mm front axle worth the cost. That's for the fork and the wheel (wheelset as long as we're talking). I got the Revelation 426 U-Turn. For what I do the 130 feels sufficient and I still really like the U-Turn for when I know I'll have steeper climbs. It's performed very well for me and I'd buy it again in the same situation.
    If you want the added stiffness of the thru axle and have the cash to spend then maybe a Pike would suit you. Otherwise get a Revelation and don't look back. BTW - it is noticably burlier than a Reba if you look side-by-side. I think it looks closer to a Pike than a Reba. I'd think that it would be pretty close to Pike-air weight w/o the maxle and heavier hub.
    My $.02
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've recently changed from a revelation u turn to a pike 454 u turn. I would go for the Pike, it's an amazingly good fork for the money, and I'm now selling my spare CK QR front wheel as I won't be going back. I feel that the extra 10mm of travel makes a difference and the stiffness of the 20mm front end is great. The maxle is just the icing on the cake, as easy as a normal QR.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

So many variables....

The 454 is a great trail fork for the Spot. If you don't like the length you can always U turn it down a bit. I would not get a 454 without a U turn unless you have a smaller bike with a long seatpost exposed putting you far above the bars. However, I am a finese cross country rider who enjoys climbing, breathing, and putting in the miles. I hate drops, ladders, and anything freeride. Just bores me! The Revelation is good for riders like me. If you are more aggressive and like drops and the like than go 454 U turn. The Revelation is an awesome fork. It kicks the snot out of any 5" fork on the market...and I have ridden them all (including a Pushed Vanilla).

Jaybo

A-C is 507 I believe...perfect for climbing and descending with a 15 rise stem, of course...or whatever fits you best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Revelation experience

Howdy,

I am running a revelation on a large spot. It took a wile to get it adjusted, but once I did it has performed well. I believe the key is to disregard the recommended settings (positive), and just go with what gives you 30% sag. Not a bad fork for the money.

RT

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just to add my 2 cents. Based on my experience with 5" forks, if you weigh over 200lbs then you probably should go for the tru-axle. I got noticably more flex out of a 5" than a 4" fork, to the point that it made the bike do some weird things. I'm sure rider weight makes a big difference here.

Hell from above

pike

if you ride hard get the pike.It's worth the extra weight ,
    but you still have to get a new wheel .

DGC
    mtbr member

RevelPike

Quote Originally Posted by mtbker1224
    To be honest, I'm not really super weight concious. I guess you could call me a hater when it comes to Fox racing... I think we (the consumer) mostly pay for the HYPE! I'm taking the time to do the research in an effort to both educate myself, and to end up purchasing anything but a FOX!
    The geometry on the 5 Spot will be more intact running the 130mm Revelation. Thats probably a good idea if you spend a lot of time climbing and or just general cross country riding/trail riding tight singletrack etc. The Pike will lift the front end up another 10mm. The A-C on the Revelation is 508mm, and the Pike 518mm.
    Thats less than 1/2 inch taller. Noticeable yes, huge difference-no. Steering stiffness difference-definately. Are you over 200 pounds, quite agressive, and or require precise steering?...Pike. Otherwise Revelation.
    Internally they work exactly the same. Which ever fork you would choose, I would get it in the U-turn, its a nice feature to have that you will use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    The 518mm PIKE a2c is at 140mm of travel, no?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

One thought

The coolness about the Pike is you can wind down the fork to 130mm for general riding and unwind it to 140mm for long downhills. A bummer part about the Pike is you need a new front wheel and both the wheel and fork are heavier than the Revelation.

I wonder what the A-C on the Pike is with fork set at 130mm. I have no clue.

Jaybo

DGC
    mtbr member

yes

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    The 518mm PIKE a2c is at 140mm of travel, no?

_MK
    518mm at full length 140mm travel setting.
    Therefore Jaybo, 508mm at 130 mm travel, same as a full length Revelation.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Seems like an easy choice to me then...

Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    518mm at full length 140mm travel setting.
    Therefore Jaybo, 508mm at 130 mm travel, same as a full length Revelation.
    I think except for the most weight conscious rider, the Pike is the way to go; particularly for more aggressive and heavier riders. Nonetheless, I really do enjoy my Revelation but do notice some front brake rubbing on some descents. But, in fairness to the Revelation, I notice my Spot flexing a bit in the rear at times and rubbing the pads. I may need some new bushings on the BB pivot.

Jaybo