mtbr member

Road Chain -vs- Mountain Chain

I did a full drivetrain replacement. XT Cog 11/34 XT middle/Small rings and cables and chain. The LBS was hot on the hollow pin sram chain so I thought I would give it a try. Got home and noticed the chain was a road chain. I think the # is PC-89R. I called the shop and they said it would be fine I am worried this thing might snap well into a good ride. Should I take it back or is this A-OK?

mtbr member
    Ive had a campag road chain on my hardtail for 8months with no problems at all - no breaks or slips to date.

DS
    "to finish first you first must finish" - Mike Hailwood

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    FWIW, a weight-weenie buddy of mine tried the same chain and broke it. Before it broke, it never shifted that well.

If JayEm doesn't chime in, PM him. He knows the strongest, best shifting Shimano 9-speed chain out there (might actually be a bmx chain), but I don't recall the exact model number (I'm still an 8-spd dinosaur).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    road specific chains such as the 89-r tend to be a bit on the lighter duty side of things but will work. for how long is a matter of rider weight and torque produced, mostly. the inner measurments do not differ from road to mtb. shimano chains are dual duty... xtr is the same part # as dura ace, xt is ultegra and so on. hope this helps a bit
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    FWIW, a weight-weenie buddy of mine tried the same chain and broke it. Before it broke, it never shifted that well.

If JayEm doesn't chime in, PM him. He knows the strongest, best shifting Shimano 9-speed chain out there (might actually be a bmx chain), but I don't recall the exact model number (I'm still an 8-spd dinosaur).
    I am having trouble with the shift's too. Seems to have a "click" sound in the low gear. (big ring rear).

MK_
    carpe maņana
    That hollowpin SRAM chain is the only SRAM chain I ever managed to break. It definatelly holds up better than any Shimano I've run, but it isn't up to par with the rest of SRAM chains.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    That hollowpin SRAM chain is the only SRAM chain I ever managed to break. It definatelly holds up better than any Shimano I've run, but it isn't up to par with the rest of SRAM chains.

_MK
    agreed!
    No, I'm NOT back!