mtbr member
    Apr 2004

At the risk of posting up scenic pics just for the helluvit

Here's more scenic pics. I'm not going to tell you it was low-60s and windless. Nope, not gonna.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Surfin' da mountain
    Oh! they were just terrible - fugly even.
    Just kiddin' please post some more!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    word... thanks for the photography/sun/riding stoke.
    Please keep 'em coming!

mtbr member
    Not even any rain,mud or snow,poor you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink
    Not even any rain,mud or snow,poor you!
    Maybe at the moment. A few years we had the "March Blizzard" wherein it snowed so hard you could hear it coming down for three days straight shutting down the entire Denver area. They had to bring out road graders to clear "snow routes" in the city. If you weren't on a snow route you just couldn't get out. More than 40 inches of snow in town, over 9' in the foothills.
    Plus a ton of wind. When the plows did come through they left a snow and ice berm in front of my driveway that took me 2 days of steady shoveling to get through. I can go anywhere in my 4wd truck with studded snowtires but not if I'm plowing through snow above my front grill!

A rider who is new to this area might mistakenly take the nice weather for granted in January/February, Us veterans never take it for granted. You may have seen pics like this from this trail a few weeks ago and I really appreciated it then, too.

So, Mr. Pink, I hear London got shut down from a recent unheard of snowstorm?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

ride
    Nice ones, xcg. We rode there last night. Twas my first time on Springbrook and Flatirons Vist and my first time on High Plains not crusted over with snow. Good stuff down there!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Nice ones, xcg. We rode there last night. Twas my first time on Springbrook and Flatirons Vista and my first time on High Plains not crusted over with snow. Good stuff down there!
    Yes, it is good stuff. Now you know what locals have for an after dinner spin and while it's not Hall or Picture Rock/Heil it can be pretty scenic and entertaining.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Here's more scenic pics. I'm not going to tell you it was low-60s and windless. Nope, not gonna.
    Looks nice but whats with that sign? "Slow down, blind curve" I understand the words and the meaning but why ??
    Does the rest of the trail have similar warning signs when things turn "ugly"?

Cheers from Windy, rainy and zero degrees celsius Kasper

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper
    Looks nice but whats with that sign? "Slow down, blind curve" I understand the words and the meaning but why ??
    Does the rest of the trail have similar warning signs when things turn "ugly"?

Cheers from Windy, rainy and zero degrees celsius Kasper
    This trail has a ton of hikers and runners. It's brand new and us mountain bikers have a habit of riding real fast. To foster goodwill to everyone else on the trail the trail builders put up these signs to warn bikers that there probably will be an unseen hiker in about 20 feet so caution is recommended. So far the goodwill is palpable on that trail and that's the way it should be. It's not to tell bikers that there's some dangerous section ahead. There are NONE on any of the trails in this area...but there sure are a lot of hikers!

ride
    What xcguy said. Also, this particular trail is in an area that has for many, many moons, been off limits to bicycles. Our presence is new in an area that has long been a refuge of hikers and equestrians. City of Boulder still has a very not so friendly to cyclists stigma on the trails. We're doing all we can to change that perception. Smile and wave, smile and wave
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What xcguy said. Also, this particular trail is in an area that has for many, many moons, been off limits to bicycles. Our presence is new in an area that has long been a refuge of hikers and equestrians. City of Boulder still has a very not so friendly to cyclists stigma on the trails. We're doing all we can to change that perception. Smile and wave, smile and wave
    F!ckin' Ay. I never rode these series of trails a few years ago. It was always Deer Creek Canyon Park, LOTB, Apex, Mt. Falcon etc (still do). I never gave Boulder County (except Walker Ranch) any thought. I'd always assumed mountain biking was off limits in Boulder County. Now they're building trails there? How cool is that?!? Need to spread the good vibes and basically will the other users of these trails to believe that mountain biking is OK.

mtbr member
    Nice pics XC Guy ! Dave, I always thought Boulder was touted as the outdoor paradise by outside magazine and the like - yet mtn biking is off limits on most of their trails? I don't get that. VT is weird too - nearly all that National forest up there is off limits - yet in NJ where I live with a few exceptions most parks are bike friendly.

ride
    Boulder area riding is good but riding from town in Boulder has historically been not so good. Basically Boulder County and the surrounding USFS is all about mountain biking but City of Boulder has relegated bikes to wide paths that suck. Trouble is, most of the land immediately surrounding Boulder is all owned by City of Boulder. If you can hop in your car and drive 20-30 minutes, there's so much riding that it would take a couple of years before you saw everything.

That's really changed over the course of the last several years, though. sAdvocacy groups and individuals have lobbied hard for singeltrack that's bike accessible to Boulderites. Thru outside political pressure from mountain bikes and inside pressure from mountain bike friendly elected officials, things have started to happen. Some of the newer trails are ok, some are good. They're still learning.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Maybe at the moment. A few years we had the "March Blizzard" wherein it snowed so hard you could hear it coming down for three days straight shutting down the entire Denver area. They had to bring out road graders to clear "snow routes" in the city. If you weren't on a snow route you just couldn't get out. More than 40 inches of snow in town, over 9' in the foothills.
    Plus a ton of wind. When the plows did come through they left a snow and ice berm in front of my driveway that took me 2 days of steady shoveling to get through. I can go anywhere in my 4wd truck with studded snowtires but not if I'm plowing through snow above my front grill!

A rider who is new to this area might mistakenly take the nice weather for granted in January/February, Us veterans never take it for granted. You may have seen pics like this from this trail a few weeks ago and I really appreciated it then, too.

So, Mr. Pink, I hear London got shut down from a recent unheard of snowstorm?
    Yes London came to a standstill,a bit of a joke for us northern Brits who are used to a bit of snow!

mtbr member
    So far the goodwill is palpable on that trail and that's the way it should be. It's not to tell bikers that there's some dangerous section ahead. There are NONE on any of the trails in this area...but there sure are a lot of hikers!
    Aaah! Now I see, thanks
    -great idea My trails are all designated for MTBing so we selldom see any other traffic except for the occasional deers and squirrels. But I guess warning signs would be wasted on them

Kasper