mtbr member
    May 2010

Ripley vs Turner Czar

Looking into these 2 FS bikes as a replacement to my hardtail (I'm getting old) and welcome any feedback. I do not race, just ride to stay in shape, w/ a light weight 29er Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have ridden both, the Ripley was very good when it was smooth. The Czar is good there too, but far exceeds the Ripleys abilities in rougher terrain.

I also felt that the Ripley was a little to flexi for me, but I am a big guy.

mtbr member

Ripley vs Turner Czar

I own a Czar but prior to it I demoed the Ripley. Both amazing bikes but these are the few things that swayed me to Czar. The backend on the Czar feels better - laterally stiffer and suspension feels just as plush despite having lower travel compared to Ripley. The geometry on the medium Czar just feels perfect for me compared to med Ripley (I'm 5,7). Easier journal bearing maintenance on the Czar, compared to the bearing system found in Ripley. Don't like the internal cable mess on the Ripley and when I heard that you need to put guard plates around the steerer tube inside the headtube to prevent cable rub against the steerer tube that was killing point to even considering Ripley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    I own a Czar but prior to it I demoed the Ripley. Both amazing bikes but these are the few things that swayed me to Czar. The backend on the Czar feels better - laterally stiffer and suspension feels just as plush despite having lower travel compared to Ripley. The geometry on the medium Czar just feels perfect for me compared to med Ripley (I'm 5,7). Easier journal bearing maintenance on the Czar, compared to the bearing system found in Ripley. Don't like the internal cable mess on the Ripley and when I heard that you need to put guard plates around the steerer tube inside the headtube to prevent cable rub against the steerer tube that was killing point to even considering Ripley.
    Can I ask what size stem are you running on your Czar ? 120 fork ?
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Rider View Post
    Looking into these 2 FS bikes as a replacement to my hardtail (I'm getting old) and welcome any feedback. I do not race, just ride to stay in shape, w/ a light weight 29er Thanks.
    You have some other options when you are buying mainly for comfort.
    A wide rim wheelset will bump up volume on a 2.2 tire by about 24% and let you run 4-5psi less air pressure. This noticeably increases cushion and comfort. You also get better climbing and cornering traction and more sidewall support for a lot less washout.
    You can put that on your existing bike. It may be enough.
    The 35/30mm carbon rims are very easy to build. Or Spec Traverse carbon Fatties and Ibis 941s with the Dt hub are options. You can build up the carbon rims from Carbonbicycle with Sapim Laser spokes and brass nips from Dans Comp on DT 350 hubs off ebay for $600.
    I switched to a Trek Superfly 9.6-9.8 carbon hardtail. It has rear compliance that is excellent for comfort with trail feel still there. You can ride without getting beat up. You get 100mm fs comfort when you add a wide wheelset to this bike. You will lose some trail feel.
    This option is half the price of a Ripley with less weight and no maintenance. A 9.6 with the new wheelset and an upgrade crankset would be under 3k.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I own a Czar and have ridden the Ripley a bit, and have to say that Renoirbud pretty much nailed it. Flex, rear sus not much plusher, bizarre cable routing.

I'd add water bottle and rear tire clearance. Both are great on the Czar, allowing the use of a Zefal Magnum 1 liter bottle, and more than enough room for a 2.3 tire. Not a make or break deal, but a factor nonetheless.

Also, DT is cooler than Chris C.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Turner bikes > ibis bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Ripley vs Turner Czar

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    more than enough room for a 2.3 tire
    Yeah I ran the giant 2.35 ikon back there and it fit fine. With a front derailleur even
    Also, DT is cooler than Chris C.
    Getting your bike companies a bit mixed up there?

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Yeah I ran the giant 2.35 ikon back there and it fit fine. With a front derailleur even

Getting your bike companies a bit mixed up there?
    DT is cooler than Chris C and Scot N.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Not ripely but ibis in general, GF wore out her bushings after 6months, burner is as smooth as ever. As you said you are not into racing then maintenance could play a role in choosing. They both make awesome bikes, but id go turner just because it lasts for ever and requires less care.

That said - the ibis special blend packages tend to be really good, might tip the needle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ripley vs Turner Czar

There were complaints of creaking rear ends on some Ripleys. You should check about that before committing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    Right, thank you, carry on!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for all input. Willing to pull the trigger, but they have only orange left. I believe a blue will be out this April.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i so wanted to purchase a Ripley due to the amazing customer service i had received from Ibis over the years. (was one of the original Mojo Owners and still own two of their bikes) They are a wonderful company and very very genuine people .

I just couldn't fit on the Ripley , the top Tube was just too short and as i race a lot the Czar was more race bike than the Ripley. very happy with my Czar

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    i so wanted to purchase a Ripley due to the amazing customer service i had received from Ibis over the years. (was one of the original Mojo Owners and still own two of their bikes) They are a wonderful company and very very genuine people .

I just couldn't fit on the Ripley , the top Tube was just too short and as i race a lot the Czar was more race bike than the Ripley. very happy with my Czar
    What does your czar weigh? Components? Thanks

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Would make sense to ask this same question in the Ibis forum if you really wanted opinions of the Ripley.

dont think there are many Ripley deals to be had any time soon.

Bobo

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Ripley vs Turner Czar

Thanks for all input. Willing to pull the trigger, but they have only orange left. I believe a blue will be out this April.
    If you're serious about pulling the trigger on the new color, I'd recommend calling Turner and paying in full up front...if it's anything like the first wave of Czar's, the paid in full guys will be ripping on their new rigs while the deposit and waitlist guys are thumping their dummies.

mtbr member
    I own both the Czar and Ripley. I owned the Ripley first, but then passed it over to my girlfriend and picked up the Czar as my backup/XC bike (I also own a Carbine 29). I think that they are very similar bikes when it comes to climbing. The Ripley is only slightly better for the descents. I have a 32mm stanchion/120mm travel fork on the Czar and a 34mm stanchion/140mm fork on the Ripley which makes a difference. Neither bike is a point and shoot bike. The Ripley does have some flex in the rear, but that may have been fixed with the gnarcore upgrade.

mtbr member

Ripley vs Turner Czar

^^ baller

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Dog View Post
    I owned the Ripley first, but then passed it over to my girlfriend and picked up the Czar
    Ouch. End of thread?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Another consideration: At the lowered price point the Czar is hands down the best value around for a top tier frame. Put the savings in wheels and it's win, win.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Ouch. End of thread?
    Depends on the girlfriend...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What does your czar weigh? Components? Thanks
    fork fox f100
    Group most XT/ with a bit of XTR mix
    Wheels DT 240/ china light bike rims, RR depending on season
    3T post / thompson neg 17degree 2x stem/ Slr saddle/ ENVE Bar
    eggbeaters

10.2 to 10.8 depending of tyres.
    Got it lower when ran single front chain ring but wasn't ready to give up the granny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley vs Turner Czar-114a0891-czar2014-picv2.jpg  

Last edited by mmatrix; 01-01-2015 at 04:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Blue Czar!!!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Ripley vs Turner Czar

Blue Czar!!!
    Blue is the poor man's orange.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Both bikes are made in some Pacific Rim factory. Can you say presto bikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I don't know about Chris C, but Scot N is on a whole other level of cool. He sent our chocolate lab puppy a dog collar made from recycled inner tubes with valve stem spikes and a handful of handjob bottle openers. Recently my friend did a photo shoot in Tahoe with Scott for the new Tranny. Guy has been there and done that in 20 years of photography and said Scott was almost worthy of a mancrush. Almost.

I own(ed) a steel Mojo, the titanium Silk Ti and a carbon Mojo. Tested the Ripley but it was not the bike for MY needs. Great bike for those wanting the travel and prefer the looks; I didn't like color options. The Czar is quite possibly the most perfect bike for MY needs; waited years for someone to build it, hopefully Ibis, but thankfully Dave got the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Another consideration: At the lowered price point the Czar is hands down the best value around for a top tier frame. Put the savings in wheels and it's win, win.
    Can't agree more. Great price on these bada$$ frames right now!

mtbr member
    I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the Czar except for one thing. The Fox shock has underwhelmed me on my other bike. It is my understanding that the CCDB doesnt fit.?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the Czar except for one thing. The Fox shock has underwhelmed me on my other bike. It is my understanding that the CCDB doesnt fit.?
    The Fox rear shock has also underwhelmed me in other applications, but seems perfectly suited to the Czar.

Firm and racy as delivered, slightly but noticeably more plush with the volume reducer removed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    it is my understanding that the CCDB doesnt fit.?
    Correct.
    Czar with a Cane Creek DB shock. Anyone tried one yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've ridden the 120 ripley and love how it feels playful like it has 26" wheels under it. Is the czar like that?

mtbr member

Ripley vs Turner Czar

Yes I know what you mean, I agree that Ripley feels more playful. Has to do with the overall geometry and 51 offset fork up front makes handle really well especially in tight sections - combined with more travel than Czar makes for pretty good package. The Czar however has a much more stout feel, rear end feels more laterally solid and suspension design and linkage much more smoother/ balanced despite less travel. I wouldn't say the Czar is a lot less playful but just not as playful as the Ripley. I like both bikes / each having their own qualities.

mtbr member
    I liked both of these and they were both at the top of my list when I was shopping. I think the main difference I noticed is the Ripley felt a little more poppy and agile in tight terrain despite having more travel. I think the short chain stays are the main reason for this.

The czar felt faster and more stable despite having shorter travel. And despite its more XC leanings it still felt very solid, stiff, and surprisingly capable. Not saying it's sluggish. It's super responsive to pedal input and rails corners, just not quite as easy to manual and pop up onto ledges/steps nor as playful. I'll bet with a 120 fork, wider rims, tires, and bars it would handle anything the Ripley was designed for though..... And it has all the legendary Turner quality we've come to love.
    Last edited by KRob; 02-01-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Ripley vs Turner Czar

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Yes I know what you mean, I agree that Ripley feels more playful. Has to do with the overall geometry and 51 offset fork up front makes handle really well especially in tight sections - combined with more travel than Czar makes for pretty good package. The Czar however has a much more stout feel, rear end feels more laterally solid and suspension design and linkage much more smoother/ balanced despite less travel. I wouldn't say the Czar is a lot less playful but just not as playful as the Ripley. I like both bikes / each having their own qualities.
    Perhaps it's due to the 51mm offset/120mm Pike on my Czar, but it feels pretty dagum "playful" to me. It bears mentioning that this is also my first 29er, so I really expected to have to get used to that glued to the ground feeling that I had experienced with my couple of rides on demos/buddies 29ers; there was simply none of that with the Czar. The thing just absolutely rips ass!