mtbr member

The right spring for an 08 Highline with DHX 5.0

Can anyone offer insight as to exactly the right titanium spring to run on the DHX that I have on my Highline (this is the 08 with 7.1" travel). The stock coil says 2.80 x 400. I've been looking for answers, but people seem somewhat confused (me too). I figure the Turner forum has got to be THE BEST place to get a straight answer.

By the way, the 400lb spring feels pretty good, but I am only 155 or so geared up and could probably run a 350lb. Wonder if anyone has a suggestion on that or if the Ti springs behave any differently.

Thanks!

Committed
    I'd say the 400 should be right for your weight. I run a 450 at 165, tried the 400 and it was much too soft for me.
    Run the same weight Ti spring as you would steel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    I'd say the 400 should be right for your weight. I run a 450 at 165, tried the 400 and it was much too soft for me.
    Run the same weight Ti spring as you would steel.
    I run 450 at 80kg with gear. I used to run a 400 and it was soft for me too.
    btw Jesse, my dhr should be here till weekend, thanks for your tips.
    alex

Hisforever
    1/2way is a 375x2.5 spring.

i've been running this Ti rate and I am 155#. drops or jumps with hard landings will bottom out sometimes. I should be running a 450 but i like this set up pretty good.
    Jesus Saves

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenTurner
    I run 450 at 80kg with gear. I used to run a 400 and it was soft for me too.
    btw Jesse, my dhr should be here till weekend, thanks for your tips.
    alex
    Wait untill you ride the DHR, you'll be blown away.
    Happy I could help.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm probably 15 lbs heavier than you and have used a 450 # spring with just less than 1 turn of preload. In general, ride the highest spring rate that gives the sag you need. Using excessive preload can cause problems and certainly affects the performance of the dampener.

Also the 2.80 x 400 means that the spring can be run on shocks with up to a 2.8" stroke and provides 400 lbs of resistance. Your actual shock stroke is 2.5".

mtbr member
    Thanks for clearing up the stroke question. So it sounds like a 375 or 400lb spring with 2.5" stroke would work for my DHX. Does anyone have a recommendation for which brand of springs works with the Fox DHX. I'm looking at the Progressive ones that are always on ebay.

Hisforever
    progressive springs will work, anything but an avalanche(avy) or Romic should work.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member

Spring stroke

Ok, so if my shock stroke is 2.5", won't I need a spring that is longer than 2.5" to avoid coil binding. I am thinking that I would need a 2.75" spring so that the shock is able to use it's own bottom out feature rather than bind when it bottoms out.

I am thinking a 375 or 400lb x 2.75", sound about right?

~~~~~~~~
    I'd check out these guys for ti springs and get the adaptor to work with a DHX and then you'll still have a spring for when you switch to a fatter shock.
    http://www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com/index.htm

-
    Have you tried the calculator?

http://www.theride.ca/guru/spring-calc.htm
    -ROXY

mtbr member
    I used the spring calculator with the following inputs

weight: 200
    rear bias: 65
    travel: 7.2
    stroke: 2.5
    sag %: 30
    perload: 2
    ECE: 60

This tells me I need a 450# spring yielding 31.3% sag. I have a 450# on there now and the measured sag is just about right, although it feels a bit squishy to me.

Also, I have about 125psi in the chamber.

Committed
    Try bumping up the resi pressure to about 150-155 psi, it will give you more support in the mid stroke of the shock.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by NoShirt
    Ok, so if my shock stroke is 2.5", won't I need a spring that is longer than 2.5" to avoid coil binding. I am thinking that I would need a 2.75" spring so that the shock is able to use it's own bottom out feature rather than bind when it bottoms out.

I am thinking a 375 or 400lb x 2.75", sound about right?
    You're confusing the shock stroke specification with the overall length of the spring. A spring designated for a 2.5" stroke will work correctly with a 2.5" shock through its entire stroke. These springs are going to have an overall length of around 5 1/2". I have one here, it's a 400# spring that works with 2.25/2.5 stroke shocks and is 5 3/8" in overall length.

Moving up to a 2.75 will usually work (as long as you have enough threaded room on the shock body) but you pay a weight penalty for the extra material.

RCS makes a DHX specific spring or Obtanium makes a spring/adapter combo to fit the DHX properly. As airwreck mentioned, the Obatnium springs can be reused on other dampeners simply by swapping for the proper adapter.

mtbr member

Spring calculator

That spring rate calculator is pretty good. It seems like most of the calculators are steering me toward a 350lb spring. I am going with a 375 to play it safe. Earlier I mentioned I was worried about coil bind if I ran a 2.5" spring. After researching a bit more, I've gathered that with coil springs, there are fewer winds and more space between wraps in the coil, so a ti spring wont bind as soon as a steel coil would, so I should be safe with a 2.5" and not need to get a 2.75" like I would with a steel spring.

mtbr member

Big thanks, and one more question

Hey Er, Airwreck and Soulrider, thanks a lot for your input. It is much appreciated. I was clueless at the start, now I am confident I will get the right spring.

Any comments about the Progressive springs? They are available pretty cheap on ebay and seem to be compatible with my shock.

Thanks, Nick

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by NoShirt
    Hey Er, Airwreck and Soulrider, thanks a lot for your input. It is much appreciated. I was clueless at the start, now I am confident I will get the right spring.

Any comments about the Progressive springs? They are available pretty cheap on ebay and seem to be compatible with my shock.

Thanks, Nick
    The Progressive spring has a larger ID than the Fox takes, so the spring will move around a little bit on the perch. Typically, with a spring below 450 #, it will not move enough to rub the reservoir. You may have to remove the bottom-out resistance cap and carry it in your pack to keep the spring from rubbing on it. Otherwise, you should be fine.