Team Sanchez

RFX vs. Firebird

I'm currently riding an 05 Six pack with the Horst Link. I want the new RFX with the DW link but it doesn't look like Turner will have them out until 2010? (or so says the website) I need a new bike now so I'm considering the Pivot Firebird. I love the concept of the DW but I've never ridden one, the closest I've come is riding the Giant Reign X with the Maestro rear. Anyone had experience on the firebird vs. the RFX or just on the Firebird in general? What did you like or dislike. All reviews I've seen so far have been positive.

Also, Pivot recommends the Fox Float 36 RC2 160mm. I am running the Marzocchi 66 SL right now. I like the idea of the light weight fox fork but I'm not sure about the performance of the new RC2. Anyone ran that fork? How does it compare in performance to the Marzocchi air fork?

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Dewd try a search. Pivot forum has plenty of info on the Firebird. Also the Bird vs. Rfx has been covered on both boards.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

Team Sanchez
    Gosh, thanks for that informative reply, but I was actually looking for someone who has ridden them both. I've read the other threads and I was just looking for more info.

mtbr member
    The New RFX doesn't even exist yet Douchebag.

Search.

Moosehead
    whoa, catfight!

a few decent threads below, there's plenty more.

try test drives on the Firebird and the DWL Spot, sounds like the Spot may actually be an alternative for you.

Pivot Firebird vs. Turner RFX

Turner RFX vs. Pivot Firebird: stiffness??

NOT Team Sanchez
    ToHelluride, shut your wussy mouth.......MooseKnuckle'd kill you at anything having to do on a bike. You mess with one bean you've got the whole burrito (Team Sanchez is gonna kick yo @$$ fool)
    Last edited by wasea04; 01-25-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Yeah, watch it tohelluride...You may end up with a Dirty Sanchez on your face!!!
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 01-25-2009 at 07:16 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    You Feelin FROGGY. Hop!

Moosehead
    twisters
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    ToHelluride, shut your wussy mouth.......MooseKnuckle'd kill you at anything having to do on a bike. You mess with one bean you've got the whole burrito (Team Sanchez is gonna kick yo @$$ fool)
    Bring it on. I eat Burritos for breakfast/lunch and dinnah.

Mooseknuckle+Camel toe+ Fat cat = Fat naasty PU$$y

You are right. I know nothing about bikes or riding them.

Put some smileys in for your entertainment.

Later.

mtbr member
    That image is awesome.

This is better than talking about TURNERS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle
    I'm currently riding an 05 Six pack with the Horst Link. I want the new RFX with the DW link but it doesn't look like Turner will have them out until 2010? (or so says the website) I need a new bike now so I'm considering the Pivot Firebird. I love the concept of the DW but I've never ridden one, the closest I've come is riding the Giant Reign X with the Maestro rear. Anyone had experience on the firebird vs. the RFX or just on the Firebird in general? What did you like or dislike. All reviews I've seen so far have been positive.

Also, Pivot recommends the Fox Float 36 RC2 160mm. I am running the Marzocchi 66 SL right now. I like the idea of the light weight fox fork but I'm not sure about the performance of the new RC2. Anyone ran that fork? How does it compare in performance to the Marzocchi air fork?

Thanks for the input.
    I have an 09 36 RC2 on an 08 RFX - great fork - very plush - only complaint is that it rides a little low (but doesn't dive) without a fair ammount of low speed compression. I much prefer it to the Zoke 150mm 06 Z1 FR I had.

Team Sanchez
    thanks, that's helpful.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    whoa, catfight!

a few decent threads below, there's plenty more.

try test drives on the Firebird and the DWL Spot, sounds like the Spot may actually be an alternative for you.

Pivot Firebird vs. Turner RFX

Turner RFX vs. Pivot Firebird: stiffness??

It seems like this subject everywhere just turns into the same cat fights. At least on our thread moosehead was kind enough to supply us a pic of it!

mtbr member
    Hey, Mooseknuckle.

If you need a bike right now, I'd look for a good used (or new if you can find one) '08 RFX or Highline then get the 2010 RFX when it's available....pending the expected stellar reviews of course.

Like I said in my I-bike review and over on the Pivot board, I was fairly disappointed in the Firebird as far as plushness. It felt stiff and light, pedals great, and is beautifully built, but it also felt like a XC/Trail bike with 4-5 inches of not-that-plush travel, not a RFX replacement. Maybe it was a new, constipated RP23 shock that was holding it back, but I would still be hesitant.

FWIW, I haven't seen any FBs delivered yet either, so you're still looking at a wait.

If you must have new and can't wait for the 2010 RFX, I would suggest a Canfield One, Knolly Delirium T, Chumba EVO, or Titus El Guapo (Have you tried wasea04's EG?) if you like a four bar/HL type suspension (I do), or a Santa Cruz Nomad with the new and improved VPP. I was very impressed with the v.2 VPP on the new Tracer and they seem to have the flex issue solved.

For that matter... if you're willing to wait a little the new UZZI VPP should be shipping in the next month of two. Total Hotness. I might even give up my D-T for one of those.

If you're really set on trying a DW-link 6" bike right away, even the IH 6point is a good cheap option that should hold up for a year until the RFX comes out.

Isn't shopping fun?
    Last edited by KRob; 01-26-2009 at 10:19 AM.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Like I said in my I-bike review and over on the Pivot board, I was fairly disappointed in the Firebird as far as plushness. It felt stiff and light, pedals great, and is beautifully built, but it also felt like a XC/Trail bike with 4-5 inches of not-that-plush travel, not a RFX replacement. Maybe it was a new, constipated RP23 shock that was holding it back, but I would still be hesitant.
    I've got to say, this sounds nothing like the Firebird that I've spent so many great rides on. In my opinion, the Firebird feels like it has the compliance of a Sunday with the pedalability of the Mach 5. 4-5 inches of travel feel?, something just is not right there with the bike you reviewed. Not sure that speculation of why on my part will help.

All I can say is that fo me, Firebird= compliance + traction + crisp pedaling = fun
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Team Sanchez
    Hey DW, while this thread has your attention, which rear shock would your recommend for Moose? I think he is leaning towards air, so RP23, or DHXair? He's about 155 lbs, and likes to throw down. Here's some shots of him on his preferred terrain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    I've got to say, this sounds nothing like the Firebird that I've spent so many great rides on. In my opinion, the Firebird feels like it has the compliance of a Sunday with the pedalability of the Mach 5. 4-5 inches of travel feel?, something just is not right there with the bike you reviewed. Not sure that speculation of why on my part will help.

All I can say is that fo me, Firebird= compliance + traction + crisp pedaling = fun

Thanks for chiming in Dave. It was nice to meet you at the Turner tent during I-bike. Yeah, I have to believe the same. From my experience on the Sunday and DW-linked Turners, I'm sold on the DW-link. It works. Not sure why my experience on the Firebird wasn't what I hoped. FWIW, I also fet the Mach 5 was too stiff/not plush...so you can't fault me for forming an opinion about Pivot's iteration of the DW-link.

I would be totally sold on the FB if the above statement is true ("pedalability of the MACH 5 and compliance of the Sunday"*)... and I'm sure you've got a lot more hours on the FB than most and with the suspension dialed....so I'm not going to argue. (Still like to have another go with a FB and broken in DHX-Air.)

*That's what I'm hoping for and expecting from the RFX.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have got to wonder what the static (rear) sag may have been for you on the bikes your rode..
    I believe Pivot sets that at 30% for the Firebird.

This would feel plush no matter what the rear suspension linkage is ?

Feeding your addiction

For that matter... if you're willing to wait a little the new UZZI VPP should be shipping in the next month of two. Total Hotness. I might even give up my D-T for one of those.
    Give up the DT for that?? Woah, have you been falling with no helmet on, or just smoking lots of crack lately?

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieracer
    I have got to wonder what the static (rear) sag may have been for you on the bikes your rode..
    I believe Pivot sets that at 30% for the Firebird.

This would feel plush no matter what the rear suspension linkage is ?
    Sag started at 30% as set up by the Pivot guys and I kept letting out air on the ride up until I started getting some compliance/plushness over the square edge rocks. But then I was getting like 40% sag and striking pedals and bottoming on the least little g-out. Even at that it didn't follow the terrain smoothly on the descent, but hopped/skipped quite a bit . Not sure what was up with it. I gotta believe it should ride better than that when set up with the right shock, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Give up the DT for that?? Woah, have you been falling with no helmet on, or just smoking lots of crack lately?

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Hey Larry,
    Well, that statement may be a bit rash...Maybe a wee bit too much crack. LOL. But the UZZI certainly looks hot (I'm still a sucker for the sexxy looks of the Intense, I guess ) and it sounds like it will do all of what the DT does but at 1.5 to 2 lbs lighter and with increased versatility with the option of travel adjust. From my experience so far on the Knolly and my previous experience with Intense, I have no doubt the Knolly will still be just as solid as the day I bought it years past when the Intense is starting to show its age.

Let's just say the UZZI is definitely on my must-ride list for I-bike this year.

Oh, and speaking of Ventana, the El Terremoto should be on Mooseknuckle's list as well. A solid, beautifully executed 6" bike by any measure.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sag started at 30% as set up by the Pivot guys and I kept letting out air on the ride up until I started getting some compliance/plushness over the square edge rocks. But then I was getting like 40% sag and striking pedals and bottoming on the least little g-out. Even at that it didn't follow the terrain smoothly on the descent, but hopped/skipped quite a bit . Not sure what was up with it. I gotta believe it should ride better than that when set up with the right shock, etc.
    I'm going to have to say for certain that there was something drastically wrong with the shock on the bike you rode. At 40% sag, "skipping" should not exist. Unless you have tires aired up to 60PSI or something..

I would say that one of the defining traits of the bike is its suspension compliance, and I've had a chance to ride a lot of bikes in that category.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter