fried stuff with cheese

RFX/Six Pack new or used??

I'm thinking of picking up an RFX/Six Pack. If I can't swing the payment on a new one is used a good option? I'm a little worried about buying a bike that is built to take a beating used as I would assume it's been ridden accordingly. Also, this would come on the heels of me buying a used free ride bike that was not in the condition advertised. (long story, but good frame but the parts hanging from it were toast) Anyway if I go the used route are there any years that are better than others? What should I look for? Also, how does Turner support frames purchased used?
    Thanks
    Egg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think Turner does a very admirable job supporting all of their products, new or used. I would probably suggest an older RFX model as a freeride bike simply because it's got an extra head tube gusset and a lower shock mount that wasn't CNC'd all the way through. Granted the new ones are slightly lighter in weight and the classic was probably overbuilt, but I like to have more than less in most cases. I might also be a sucker for the old ones because I have one that's been ridden hard, and he keeps coming back for more. My two cents

MBN
    mtbr member

Hey Lokotiki......

I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago. In fact, we spoke about Pack vs Spot. I am the guy that rides Lynn Woods. I told you I could not afford new. Well, I am building up my Pack today! I found a 2005 HL Pack on ridemonkey.com. I paid 1200 for the frame, dhxc, cranks and bb, front derailer, seatpost and shipping. It is in like new conditon. The seller had many posts on ridemonkey, and I felt comfortable with his description. He was on the level......5 or 6 rides max on this frame! They are out there, just keep looking. Mine is a medium, and you are welcome to demo it anytime.
    Best,
    M

No, that's not phonetic
    No offense intended to any Turner owners, but I don't think most people who ride 6-Packs or RFX's ride them to their burly potential. I only push mine once or twice a year when I road trip to Utah. The old RFXs even fetch pretty good prices these days because they are totally indestructible, and the pivots are the same as current models so maintenance is a snap.

I would be more likely to buy an RFX or Pack used than a Flux or Spot.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    ...I'm pretty sure I know where there is a good deal on a Med. 6 Pack

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I agree with lucky7. It depends on your use, but if you are free-riding the older '02 RFX is a better frame inho. I have an '02 and would not trade it for a six-pack.

The '02s have the same head tube as a turner DHR, and thicker straight-guage top and down tubes. That adds up to an extra 3/4lb but also means you can buy a used one with confidence. The '02's also have much lower standover clearance and aa steeper head angle that works perfect with longer forks like your 66. The only con is that you can't run a DHX-C, but there are penty of other great shock options.

To be fair, the newer design is lighter and has a lower BB, more all-mountain/trail freindly geometry. Might be better for most riders.

fried stuff with cheese
    Is there any diff between the Pack and the new RFX? Other than name?
    Egg

mtbr member
    jncarpenter takes real good care of his stuff. plus, the decals are so damn cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki
    Is there any diff between the Pack and the new RFX? Other than name?
    ...front triangles are the same...the rear now sports the TNT on the RFX.

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    jncarpenter takes real good care of his stuff. plus, the decals are so damn cool.
    ...Thanks for the props D. It's only because I throw my body between the bike & impending danger

fried stuff with cheese
    jncarpenter - No doubt that is a nice frame. I've got my eye on it for sure.

I've got this one and one other I'm keeping my eye on, but even if I'm as financially unreasonable as I think I am and buy one, I'm a week or so away from having that cash. Can't be stealing from the retirement/kids college fund for bikes. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
    Egg