banned

RFX/Six Pack "lite"

It seems some of you guys are using RFX frames to build more of a heavy duty bike destined for XC or technical trails.

How light are you guys going and what do your builds look like? Are some of you going for XC type parts and dropping the fork travel to 5"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just finished bldg mine, and have 3 rides in. Lovin it so far. Here's the weight/parts dope.

XL Grey ano RFX.
    CCDB coil rear shock.
    Van 36 coil fork
    Hadley hubs/DT 5.1 rims
    Kenda BG 2.35s
    XTR 8 spd shifter/brake combo pods
    LP flat bars
    RF 110 stem
    Oury grips
    Old Control Tech bar ends
    Thompson stem
    Avid mech brakes (8" front, 6" rear)
    WTB seat (not sure, maybe Rocket V Race)
    Shimano hollowtech crank (not external bb) and xt derailers

One scale needle width less than 33 lbs -- good doctor's scale, but no Alping Digital level of accuracy.

Hope that helps. Other than going air/air at both ends to lose about 2 lbs, not sure how you could get much lower w/o spending lots and still do an RFX justice. I built this bike mostly with parts I had, or scrounged from buds. The obvious exceptions being fork, shock, and wheels.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

I've got a Stiffee
    My medium Pack consists of:
    DHX-air
    36 Vanilla
    I-9 Enduro wheels
    2.35/2.5 Kendas w/tubeless conversion
    XT cranks w/MRP LRP guide
    XO rr der.
    XT fr der.
    XT cassette
    Thomson post/X4 stem w/ RF carbon bar
    Hope Mono M4's 200/180 w/2 piece rotors
    CK headset

Weighs in @ 32.07lbs

mtbr member

30 even

this one is 30lbs even,mostly XC parts aside from the 6" travel through axle fork,but it is travel adjustable and air,so i call it XC. he he

You may get some grumpy folks who think you aren't doing the bike justice if you put XC parts on an RFX but hey it's fine with me! The more the merrier!
    Giant Reign Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP/ Rockshox Revelation
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

My heavy guy XC/All Mountain Bike.

2006 RFX with 5" rocker
    Marzocchi Z1 FR ETA (Factory reduced to 5" travel)
    Mavic 721 wheels with Chris King hubs.
    Chris King head set
    FSA K-Force MegaEXO crank set
    XTR shifters, brakes and rear derailleur. Front had to be changed to XT for fit.
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front and rear
    Thompson Seat post and Stem
    33 lbs with HD tubes.

Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    My heavy guy XC/All Mountain Bike.
    Very nice. I imagine it presents a conundrum for our beloved Gonzo though: to heap praise on it for being an appropriately heavy 5" bike, or chide it for being a light RFX?

At any rate it should be a killer ride. I had an '02 RFX setup at 5" front & rear for a short time and there was something about it that was very confidence inspiring, more so than my 5 Spot even. But then again it could have just been the relative stability it offered coming off the 5" front/6" rear setup (i.e. great technical climber/somewhat nervous descender) I had been running previously.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Shovel Ready
    Coming off a too small Intense 5.5 this descends like a dream! I cannot even explain how happy I am with this ride. All I can say is thank you DT for wonderful advice on a great ride.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    I had an '02 RFX setup at 5" front & rear for a short time and there was something about it that was very confidence inspiring, more so than my 5 Spot even.
    Miles, I just happen to have a pic of that, that you sent me a while back. Time to reminisce:

aka DJ Papi

this is 31.2...

Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com
    this one is 30lbs even,mostly XC parts aside from the 6" travel through axle fork,but it is travel adjustable and air,so i call it XC. he he

You may get some grumpy folks who think you aren't doing the bike justice if you put XC parts on an RFX but hey it's fine with me! The more the merrier!

nice ride krispy... I got mine built to 31.2 lbs with a Ti coil... and with some XC parts as well. Most important is the fact that she rides like a dream...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Miles, I just happen to have a pic of that, that you sent me a while back. Time to reminisce:
    Ahhh, there she is an all her glory. The Garth Brooks song "What She's Doing Now" comes to mind:

Last time I saw her it was turnin' colder
    But that was years ago
    Last I heard she had moved to Boulder
    But where she's now, I don't know
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.