mtbr member
    Mar 2006

RFX shock/rocker questions

I have an '02 RFX that I have decided to make into a trail bike so I put a 36 Van on it and well it is too steep for my liking. I have been reading a good bit but still have questions so hopefully someone can assist me.

Is anyone making the type A rockers? Are the new RFX/6-pack rockers like the A's or B's and will they work on an older frame?

Secondly, I found a set of 5 inch rockers and I do like the HA now, but of course I need a lighter spring - has anyone gone from 5 to 6 inch rockers or vice versa and if so what was the difference in spring rates to get a similar feel? With the six inch rockers I liked a 600 pound spring on my RC.

Thanks

Lay off the Levers
    The FAQ at the top of the forum has the following link to the Rockers Thread which contains quite a bit of detail on almost all the rockers, especially the RFX classic A, B, & current models.

Cheers!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thank you for the link.

It looks like the 6pack and the type A rockers very similar. The 5 inch rockers are slightly more slack by around .5 degrees while the type A's are around 1.5 degrees slacker than type B's. So the 5 inch rockers are around 2 degrees slacker than the type B's.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

%$#$*!
    I used a spring that was 100lbs. less when I switched to the 5" rockers from the 6. this is on a vanilla rc.

mtbr member

a few more tips

Arutha,
    It looks like you have found most of the info. you were looking for. I had a similar setup with the '02 RFX and 5" and 6" rockers. I recall Turner saying the "A" type rockers and the 6Pack rockers are very similar. You might call Turner and see if you could purchase a pair direct.

Like Beefmagic said, 100lbs less should work well. I was running a Romic and went from 600lbs with the 6" rockers to 550Lbs. with the 5" rockers. This set up worked great for me. It was nice and plush in the 6" setting and just a hair stiffer in the 5" setting for general trail use.

Good luck...post some pics when th eproject is complete.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    Arutha,
    It looks like you have found most of the info. you were looking for. I had a similar setup with the '02 RFX and 5" and 6" rockers. I recall Turner saying the "A" type rockers and the 6Pack rockers are very similar. You might call Turner and see if you could purchase a pair direct.

Like Beefmagic said, 100lbs less should work well. I was running a Romic and went from 600lbs with the 6" rockers to 550Lbs. with the 5" rockers. This set up worked great for me. It was nice and plush in the 6" setting and just a hair stiffer in the 5" setting for general trail use.

Good luck...post some pics when th eproject is complete.
    A pair of new rockers are on the way. Hopefully they make the HA slack enough for my liking. I had a Shiver with 170mm internals on my RFX a couple years ago but then I decided I needed an actual downhill bike so the Turner got put away for awhile. I was looking to just buy another frame for trail riding but couldn't decide on what I wanted so just decided to keep the RFX as long as I can get the "right" geometry.

And not sure you will want pics, everything on this bike is old with the exception of the forks. Although I have been tempted to get the bike powder coated, thinking PK ripper blue. Then pics will be in order.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by arutha
    . Although I have been tempted to get the bike powder coated, thinking PK ripper blue. Then pics will be in order.
    Oh that would be hot.

I ran 5" rockers with a 6" Z150 on mt '02 RFX for a while, which made for nice slack angles and low CG. The BB was a bit low for some trails though- I prefer the higher BB of the 6" rockers. Going to a 170mm 66 which will get me the slacker angles, more travel and keep the 14.5 BB. Should be good.