Thread: RFX Paint

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

RFX Paint

Thinking about about sending my RFX out for some powdercoat. Should I be concerned about the zerk fittings and getting new ones back in the frame? I understand the thickness of the coating would effect this. Guess I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with this?

Also, I was planning on leaving the rear triangle as is (polished). What does the group think about powdercoating the rear triangle?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    If you do it through Turner or send it to Olympic Powdercoating yourself, the zerks will need to be removed and Olympic will mask off the holes.

You can also call Turner and they can give you a better idea of what needs to be done to prep the frame for PC.

mtbr member
    Having the rear painted to match the front may look to matchy-matchy. The polished rear is a nice compliment to any of the front colors. I ride with a few people who have gold, bronze and blue fronts, makes my raw look boring.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, rear looks pretty cool powdercoated, my vote is do front & rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    I love the PC'd rears, but the only problem I have with them is they get trashed pretty quick. I don't meant to imply the PC isn't strong, but putting a special finish on the rear exposes how much it goes through from general riding to falls.

banned

Not too bad...

Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    Having the rear painted to match the front may look to matchy-matchy. The polished rear is a nice compliment to any of the front colors. I ride with a few people who have gold, bronze and blue fronts, makes my raw look boring.
    I got this frame used and have had no problems with zerks or any other interface for that matter...and the PC is plenty thick

and the action foto
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 05-16-2008 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Olympic Powdercoating is the place you want. Just send it to them, they are very familiar with Turners. They did an old steel hardtail of mine a while back and it turned out great. Very reliable and on time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    If you do it through Turner or send it to Olympic Powdercoating yourself, the zerks will need to be removed and Olympic will mask off the holes.

You can also call Turner and they can give you a better idea of what needs to be done to prep the frame for PC.

Thanks. Don't know why I hadn't considered just going through Turner. Contacted them and they will do all the work I didn't want to... break it down and assemble with new pivot bushings, etc. I don't have all the details yet. Not sure if they only offer their custom colors or how much it will cost, but sounds like a good option at this point.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Good call! I did mine myself and saved a few dollars, but the cost shipping, PC, zerks, and bushings made it a wash. Also, there is some facing you have to do at the pivots in order for them to seal correctly. This requires a a very specific tool (I think Turner made theirs) to do this.

This is what it looked like when it came back from Olympic

And the full frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Mylanta

Sweet color! Does that have some sparkle to it?

I wanna go for the Mylanta bottle blue/green. Can't wait to get er' done. Does Olympic do the powdercoating for Turner? I should hear back on Monday about the cost. I figure it will be well worth it to just ship it out and get it back all sweetly assembled! Thanks for the tips! I will let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My thoughts exactly. That area gets hammered pretty good. They do look sweet though!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stvberry
    Sweet color! Does that have some sparkle to it?

I wanna go for the Mylanta bottle blue/green. Can't wait to get er' done. Does Olympic do the powdercoating for Turner? I should hear back on Monday about the cost. I figure it will be well worth it to just ship it out and get it back all sweetly assembled! Thanks for the tips! I will let you know how it goes.
    Yep. That's the Granny Smith Apple Green PC. I sent it to Olympic because that is who Turner uses for their production work (and their in SoCal, so shipping was 1 day each way).

Here's a close-up of the sparkle

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Call Greg at Turner. I just got mine back yesterday. Great Powder Coat job. I sent it with the fittings in them. Turner removed them and re-installed them after PC.
    They even slapped new decals on for an extra fee

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TACORICAN
    Call Greg at Turner. I just got mine back yesterday. Great Powder Coat job. I sent it with the fittings in them. Turner removed them and re-installed them after PC.
    They even slapped new decals on for an extra fee
    Thanks. I sent Greg an e-mail late Friday so I will most likely speak with him on Monday. What color did you go with? Any pics? Did they only offer the Turner custom colors or can you get whatever? Bet you are stoked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Good call! I did mine myself and saved a few dollars, but the cost shipping, PC, zerks, and bushings made it a wash. Also, there is some facing you have to do at the pivots in order for them to seal correctly. This requires a a very specific tool (I think Turner made theirs) to do this.

This is what it looked like when it came back from Olympic

And the full frame
    Looks almost like Ventanas Grinch Green
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I went with the Candy Blue. I am not too sure if they can do any color. I only chose from the custom color list. I will have pics tomorrow