Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. RFX out of the saddle

Hi -

I am interested in purchasing an RFX, particularly with the current prices. I want to have a more aggresive bike for a few of the trails that we ride. I do not have an opportunity to test ride one. For some reason, I can not search "RFX" - I am not sure if others have similar search problems. As I understand, the RFX is a great bike when seated (minimal bob) and soaks of bumps....how do is handle when out of the saddle?

Thanks!

No, that's not phonetic
    There is very little about the bike's linkage that suppresses rider-induced suspension movement. If you stand up and pedal squares, it will bob a lot. I took a very novice rider out last summer and put him on my 5-Spot and he was nearly bottoming the suspension when he stood to climb on a steep, smooth road section. I can power up the same section with minimal suspension movement.

Are you smooth?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    Hi -

I am interested in purchasing an RFX, particularly with the current prices. I want to have a more aggresive bike for a few of the trails that we ride. I do not have an opportunity to test ride one. For some reason, I can not search "RFX" - I am not sure if others have similar search problems. As I understand, the RFX is a great bike when seated (minimal bob) and soaks of bumps....how do is handle when out of the saddle?

Thanks!
    It doesn't bob that bad. If you're using the bike for what it's intended (technical & rocky) then you won't notice the suspension bobbing.

If you use it for smooth fire road, you will. The RP23 does a good job of mitigating bob.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    argeed. buy it. its hard to find a better overall product.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Captain Underpants
    ....how do is handle when out of the saddle?

Thanks!
    It can bob quite a bit, but you can, with some practice, hone your technique so the bob is not as pronounced--on short sections anyway. When I first started riding my RFX (coming from a HT 29er) the bob drove me absolutely crazy. Over time I have been able to refine my technique a bit, and can now hammer through short to mid sized uphill sections without much of an issue. For long uphill climbs it is best to stay in the saddle. And as CC mentions, it is hard to find a better all rounder, so you learn to live with the uphill performance, but it's all $hits and grins when you are pointed downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you need time to get down your pedaling technique, you can always run propedal at the varying levels and then turn it off when you get better/and or hit rough terrain/DH

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ive always believed fs bikes shine when doin seated climbing due to the bob thing. of course this becomes hard to do in the tech but thats when ya want it to be as active as possible negating the bob issue for the most part.

and yes, technique and pp are yer pals on extended climbs. it takes practice but its soooooo worth it. ordered it yet? dont dilly dally now.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

Considered the double barrel?

I have a 08 RFX with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and I feel that by tuning the shock I can reduce a lot of pedal-bob without sacrificing shock-absorption and traction. As a said, this requires some fine-tuning and working with high- and low-speed settings. In addition I think a bike like the RFX should have a coil-shock anyway.

Note, I climb seated and get out of the saddle only to get over obstacles, so I cannot guarantee that tuning a shock will make the bike climb like a HT while standing up. But, as many here have pointed out, climb seated, be smooth and you will be surprised how well the RFX handles techy climbs.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens_Fredrik
    I have a 08 RFX with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and I feel that by tuning the shock I can reduce a lot of pedal-bob without sacrificing shock-absorption and traction. As a said, this requires some fine-tuning and working with high- and low-speed settings. In addition I think a bike like the RFX should have a coil-shock anyway.

Note, I climb seated and get out of the saddle only to get over obstacles, so I cannot guarantee that tuning a shock will make the bike climb like a HT while standing up. But, as many here have pointed out, climb seated, be smooth and you will be surprised how well the RFX handles techy climbs.
    RFX is super good on techy, steep climbs. Here's a little somthing from last week - I've made this climb every time I've hit it on my RFX. Never made it on my Ibis Mojo.
    http://vimeo.com/3006588

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member

Thanks for the info

Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it. One last question - does the RFX jump well? Most of the trails that I ride are fast and swoopy downhills with jumps and drops. Unfortunately, we do not a lot of rocks (instead we have big red woods - Santa Cruz). I really miss the rocky terrain of places that I have lived. I miss the technical grinds. I visit my buddy in So Cal every few months and enjoy his trails (San Juan).

Also, is the CCDB that good? Everyone seems gaga over it (I guess I answered my own question.

Making fat cool since '71
    Jump well? For me it has. Super tough as well. It's not a dedicated park sled, but it's tougher than the competition I've owned/borrowed/broken. BTW, I'm a tad larger than the normal mtb'er.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it. One last question - does the RFX jump well? Most of the trails that I ride are fast and swoopy downhills with jumps and drops. Unfortunately, we do not a lot of rocks (instead we have big red woods - Santa Cruz). I really miss the rocky terrain of places that I have lived. I miss the technical grinds. I visit my buddy in So Cal every few months and enjoy his trails (San Juan).

Also, is the CCDB that good? Everyone seems gaga over it (I guess I answered my own question.
    That depends on your skills, not the bike. Also different shocks and different set ups with jump differently.

Specialized sucks dong

Elitest thrill junkie
    Also, is the CCDB that good? .
    Yes, but the Avalanche is even better . It just doesn't have all the advertising.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Ride and Smile

Spam

Haven't put the add in yet (I will), but selling an 08 Large frame with a CCDB if your interested?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Haven't put the add in yet (I will), but selling an 08 Large frame with a CCDB if your interested?
    pm me when you have your add up. My friend needs a bike.

Specialized sucks dong